Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408728 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1050 on: August 19, 2014, 12:26:14 pm »
I don't know when you go to the Skip, but it is virtually impossible to park on  Sunday when the jet ski crowd are there.  The majority of the car park is coned off by CCBC's Little Hitlers for the "elite" of the water ski World!   :rage:

I think there may be more than one day in a week, Yorkie...you need to get out more :D

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1051 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
I agree with rotund Andy. West Shore is absolute cack with those pay toilets - that CLOSE at 6pm. What on earth is the point in that.
I was there on a lovely evening a few weeks ago about 8.30 and saw at least a dozen tourists in my hour there put money in for the doors not to open.
Some I managed to warn in time, others lost their 20p as you don't get a refund! Absolutely scandalous. God knows why we people of the town stand for this kind of rubbish  &shake&

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1052 on: August 21, 2014, 02:05:33 pm »
I don't know when you go to the Skip, but it is virtually impossible to park on  Sunday when the jet ski crowd are there.  The majority of the car park is coned off by CCBC's Little Hitlers for the "elite" of the water ski World!   :rage:

So the car park at the watersports centre is full of cars owned by people visiting to indulge in watersports?  And there's me thinking the place was a white elephant that nobody had any use for!  But it's never a problem parking there on Saturday mornings, although the more successful it becomes that may well change.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1053 on: August 21, 2014, 02:09:11 pm »
I agree with rotund Andy. West Shore is absolute cack with those pay toilets - that CLOSE at 6pm. What on earth is the point in that.
I was there on a lovely evening a few weeks ago about 8.30 and saw at least a dozen tourists in my hour there put money in for the doors not to open.
Some I managed to warn in time, others lost their 20p as you don't get a refund! Absolutely scandalous. God knows why we people of the town stand for this kind of rubbish  &shake&

I'm glad to hear it isn't just me.  I put 20p in one of those doors a few weeks ago because my seven year old decided she had to go there and then.  Nothing happened  $angry$.  Let's just say I won't be visiting the West Shore again anytime soon.

Emo Philips

Offline BMD

« Reply #1054 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »
Over three weeks after I queried the omissions in CCBC's (much delayed) reply to my FOI request, they've added another notice of delay (this time in response to my follow-up queries): https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/expenditure_income_for_porth_eir#outgoing-374149

I'm not sure what's so difficult about providing the expenditure on security for Porth Eirias, or the costs involved in setting up, supporting, planning, legal, etc - to date - on the bistro and Colwyn Bay Watersports. I doubt these figures are zero, yet they apparently weren't included in the £104,365 expenditure given for running Porth Eirias.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1055 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »
Keep up the good work, much appreciated.      $thanx$   ££$     $good$

Offline Linda

« Reply #1056 on: August 22, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »
I have to say that as a parent of two young kids myself and Mrs FA find the "skip" to be quite useful, in fact on the rare occasions we go to the beach it's become our go to place.  For one thing it's easy to park there, there are no time restrictions and it's free.  But the two big selling points for us are the toilets and the showers.  Anyone with young kids will know you can't go anywhere without at least one of them needing the toilet within no more than half an hour of arriving so toilets, and free ones at that, are an essential.  The other thing you'll know is that if you take young kids to the beach they'll cover themselves in half a ton of sand, 50% of which will fall off the second they get in your car and the other 50% as soon you get home and they set foot on the living room carpet.  Having a means to remove the sand before they get anywhere near your car is a godsend and the "skip" offers such a facility, and it's free.  We're not too bothered about the cafe because we take a picnic. 

If Llandudno ever wants to market itself as a family friendly resort it needs some sort of "skip" of it's own.   I know the town markets itself on it's Victorian heritage but that doesn't need to include maintaining Victorian era standards of hygiene and sanitation.  I'm not suggesting they copy the same design as Porth Eirias but Llandudno must be the only the holiday resort in the country without even the most basic sanitation facilities available to anyone using the beach and it's about time that was put right.

At last something positive over Porth Erias. There has to be something good to come out of all this, the fact it was also built as part of the much needed sea defense works. Granted the money now proposed for the bistro seems way out of all proportion, beach cafe would have been useful if the kiosks are not reinstated.  As a family resort as well as my generation i think all will be well, when finished.
I like the idea that any one can have an opportunity to use the watersports facility, inc and most important are our local schools can be involved in sailing etc. instead of just the private schools in the area.
I didnt like the design when first built, but the concept is good.  I dont sail but i love watching others enjoy the experience.  We are stuck with this so ,make the most of it i say.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1057 on: August 24, 2014, 07:35:07 am »
What do you guys think of Colwyn Bay visitor centre: https://twitter.com/WeeklyNewsBay/status/496938718226579456

It looks a bit grim if you ask me, isn't this what Porth Eirias should be used for?

I see the "visitor centre" has a new name.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1058 on: August 24, 2014, 02:01:43 pm »
Looks like somebody used Google translate and didn't proofread before sending to the printers  :rage: :-}}}

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1059 on: August 24, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »
At last something positive over Porth Erias.

I suspect lots of people find Porth Eirias to be very useful but as it stands they will mainly be young families, or at least families with young children, and watersports enthusiasts.  At the risk of making a generalisation that means mainly people below a certain age.  The fact that few people on this forum find it useful is probably as much a reflection of the demographic of the forum members than it is of Porth Eirias. 

Also just because someone does find something useful doesn't mean that others don't and vice versa.  For example I don't find Haulfre Gardens or Happy Valley to be in the slightest bit useful to me but I don't whinge about them, I just accept that just because I find them to be useless doesn't others feel the same way.

Emo Philips

Offline BMD

« Reply #1060 on: August 24, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »
For me, the problem is that its current use is out of proportion to its cost and size. Essentially a £4 million toilet block and storage shed for canoes. And I'm not keen on the fact that the toilet/showers block is the most prominent part of the building - you certainly don't need that kind of elevation on toilets and showers. It's poor architectural planning in my opinion.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1061 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:32 pm »
I have many problems with it, it seems to have been built with no thought as to what purpose it would serve, who wanted it? Will it generate enough income to pay for itself? Why does it look so hideous?  Why did they put pointless concrete blocks on the roof as a tripping hazard (as I found to my cost a few weeks ago, my claim is in with the council's insurers Zurich! ) why did they design a kitchen space apparently not fit for purpose? Why was the electricity supply not suitable for a planned kitchen? Why are they bending over backwards to get a so called celebrity chef to open a bistro in what looks like an industrial unit? Why is the whole interior layout bonkers, with meeting rooms for who knows what? Why do those who support the skip seem so determined to demolish the pier? Lastly as us council tax payers paid for the thing we are entitled to complain about for as long as we like as it is a big waste of OUR money!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1062 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:12 pm »
I think the "usefulness" of Porth Eirias will be judged on an individual basis, I agree probably more for the younger crowd, and it is good to hear positive remarks. Anyway its done now, so we have to make the best of it.
Most of the comments, (whinges) as far as I can see, are over the expense and mismanagement issues, not its usefulness, which are still ongoing.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1063 on: August 24, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »
Most of the comments, (whinges) as far as I can see, are over the expense and mismanagement issues, not its usefulness, which are still ongoing.

As useful as a Chocolate tea pot!    ZXZ
Still waiting for the reply to a FoI request which prevents me posting details received so far.  Bury your heads in shame CCBC.   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1064 on: August 24, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »
Lots of things can be useful but at what cost? I would suggest that a large shed to store boats attached to a seaside cafe with toilets and changing rooms, that are charged for, could have been built for a lot less money than the cost of the skip. But I still ask was any of t needed? We had kiosks happily supplying food and drink for decades and I do not remember jet skiers protesting at a lack of changing facilities, I assume most of them changed at the back of their cars? 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas