Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408500 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1035 on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:15 pm »
I found these this morning, whilst looking for something else, and after reading BMD's post...........

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1036 on: August 14, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »
Sorry, but, I keep coming across these.

THE PROBLEM WITH POLITICAL JOKES.

THEY KEEP GETTING ELECTED.               WWW

Offline BMD

« Reply #1037 on: August 17, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
I was telling my mum about Colwyn Bay's ongoing saga (complete with spat between celebrity chef and locals on Twitter, etc - no doubt you've heard about that), and the phrase she used to describe Porth Eirias (which she's seen on one of her visits here) seemed apt: "Neither use nor ornament".  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1038 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »
Very true! Also 'it's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!'  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1039 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:25 pm »
She's from the  North West, then?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1040 on: August 17, 2014, 08:04:53 pm »

Yes, from Birkenhead. My parents love visiting this area, particularly Llandudno. They always comment that it's a shame that Colwyn Bay pier has been left to rot. At their age, I think they'd rather walk along a pier than hire a kayak or jet-ski.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1041 on: August 17, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »
I'm the same at my age!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1042 on: August 17, 2014, 11:36:59 pm »
'Neither use nor ornament'....... a phrase that I am very familiar with, and is in constant use in Yorkshire.

For my part, I consider the Colwyn Bay Watersports Centre as being as much use as an Inflatable Dartboard!  :laugh:

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1043 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:45 am »
Yes, from Birkenhead. My parents love visiting this area, particularly Llandudno. They always comment that it's a shame that Colwyn Bay pier has been left to rot. At their age, I think they'd rather walk along a pier than hire a kayak or jet-ski

I sometimes wonder if - in the seemingly headlong scramble to attract the 'young' - the PTB have forgotten that it's the 65 - 75 year old age group that has the most disposable income. And I do like the inflatable dartboard - although I suppose it depends on who's playing :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1044 on: August 18, 2014, 07:09:49 am »
. And I do like the inflatable dartboard - although I suppose it depends on who's playing :-))

From what I've heard it would be quite safe with Fester at the oche!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1045 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:29 am »
 Cannot find a post from around three weeks ago by DaveR. Hope it was this thread.
  He reported on a rather strange structure which has gone up alongside the toilets opposite the skip in the Bay. He didn't know what it was. Neither do I.
 But I can report that an identical item has now gone up on Abergele Road, close to the entrance to the rugby club. Still don't know what it is, whether it's visual or audio.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2014, 11:00:32 pm »
. And I do like the inflatable dartboard - although I suppose it depends on who's playing :-))

From what I've heard it would be quite safe with Fester at the oche!    :D

Though strangely, no one seems to want to take up my challenge of playing against me for ANY amount of money,  eh? Born to Run?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1047 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:44 am »
I'll play against you for £100, win or lose!   :D
Cicero

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1048 on: August 19, 2014, 08:43:37 am »
I have to say that as a parent of two young kids myself and Mrs FA find the "skip" to be quite useful, in fact on the rare occasions we go to the beach it's become our go to place.  For one thing it's easy to park there, there are no time restrictions and it's free.  But the two big selling points for us are the toilets and the showers.  Anyone with young kids will know you can't go anywhere without at least one of them needing the toilet within no more than half an hour of arriving so toilets, and free ones at that, are an essential.  The other thing you'll know is that if you take young kids to the beach they'll cover themselves in half a ton of sand, 50% of which will fall off the second they get in your car and the other 50% as soon you get home and they set foot on the living room carpet.  Having a means to remove the sand before they get anywhere near your car is a godsend and the "skip" offers such a facility, and it's free.  We're not too bothered about the cafe because we take a picnic. 

If Llandudno ever wants to market itself as a family friendly resort it needs some sort of "skip" of it's own.   I know the town markets itself on it's Victorian heritage but that doesn't need to include maintaining Victorian era standards of hygiene and sanitation.  I'm not suggesting they copy the same design as Porth Eirias but Llandudno must be the only the holiday resort in the country without even the most basic sanitation facilities available to anyone using the beach and it's about time that was put right.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1049 on: August 19, 2014, 10:15:03 am »
I don't know when you go to the Skip, but it is virtually impossible to park on  Sunday when the jet ski crowd are there.  The majority of the car park is coned off by CCBC's Little Hitlers for the "elite" of the water ski World!   :rage:
Cicero