Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408638 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #915 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
Meanwhile the supporters of the skip say the pier is unsustainable!  &shake&  What a gold mine the skip appears to be (not!)  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #916 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:57 pm »
I think David Jones MP gets it. He's now tweeted:

"Question has to be asked whether Council had any clear notion of what to do with @PorthEirias when they commissioned its construction".

When you add the pier into the equation, you would hope that the scales finally fall from the eyes of those who regard what's happened as anything but a disgrace.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #917 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
I said a long time ago it was as if they had a lot of cash and no idea what to do with it, so they built the skip and now they have no idea what to do with it!  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #918 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:50 am »
The whole Porth Eirias saga is an unbelievable mess. It's as though they thought that constructing a simple building offering traditional seaside facilities was beneath them. A brand new building needing another £300,000 of our money for alterations is appalling. It's about time there was a full enquiry into this whole mess. CCBC have excelled themselves this time.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #919 on: July 25, 2014, 08:56:20 am »
Why don't they tell this Bryn bloke, if he's not happy with it go somewhere else and then have a simple seaside cafe instead?

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #920 on: July 25, 2014, 09:21:32 am »
Apart from the kitchen shape, what I cannot see is how they think the space is suitable for a restaurant/bistro. To me it looks much like a foyer to a theatre or cinema. It is an odd shape with external doors going off it and to me not very conducive to enjoying a meal.
Maybe they have a plan to cordon off an area of the public space but then this would be a bit like eating in an airport terminal.
We were once shown around by an employee and he said, "Think how romantic it will be with candles on the tables enjoying a meal in the evening." I have to admit that I couldn't see it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #921 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:49 am »
A brand new building needing another £300,000 of our money for alterations is appalling. It's about time there was a full enquiry into this whole mess. CCBC have excelled themselves this time.

The more of these issues that arise, the clearer it becomes that CCBC paid officials in the highly lucrative senior management posts obviously regard themselves as being aboard the gravy train to end all gravy trains. From this current mess, to the state of what ought to be the premier attractions, such as (un)Happy Valley, to the continuously unavailable swimming pool. to the gym that isn't safe to be used if the air conditioning stops for a while to the interestingly converted retirements into suspiciously lucrative 'redundancies' for their own, there are really only two conclusions it seems possible to draw: either they're simply not up to the jobs for which they're very well paid or they're utterly contemptuous of the fact that they're paid by the taxpayers of the county. 

The arguments advanced for paying the top management so much are always the same: these sort of amounts have to be paid to get the best people for the job. Clearly, we're not getting even adequate people for the job, so perhaps it's time to press for a formal inquiry via the Assembly into the competence of the senior paid management of CCBC.  The evidence of possible incompetence or even malfeasance seems pretty clear and I agree totally that we need an inquiry.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #922 on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:46 am »
The only thing is to get a petition going, on this Forum if one likes, to mount a challenge to the Council and request an Official enquiry into the various matters of concern.

There is a web site for petitions but I don't know it myself, someone else will no doubt.

$walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #923 on: July 25, 2014, 10:26:52 am »
Circus Clowns Borough Council? They seem to be clueless, but if they get rid of them no doubt they will each get a large payout when they are fired  (or in CCBC language, made redundant! )

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #924 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:44 am »
We were once shown around by an employee and he said, "Think how romantic it will be with candles on the tables enjoying a meal in the evening." I have to admit that I couldn't see it.

_))*  _))*  _))* did you manage not to laugh when they told you that? About as romantic as an industrial unit!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #925 on: July 25, 2014, 11:02:13 am »
No, I was on my best behaviour and smiled politely. Glad it isn't just me though.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #926 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:48 am »
Funding for PE!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #927 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:44 pm »
Perhaps instead of a restaurant,  it would be more appropriate for Port Erias to host Fred Karno's Circus?   Featuring several of CCBC's finest Senior managers?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #928 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:55 pm »
Why don't they tell this Bryn bloke, if he's not happy with it go somewhere else and then have a simple seaside cafe instead?

I agree with a seaside cafe, with tables and umbrellas outside and traditional bucket and spade stuff. Somewhere folk off the beach can go thats clean and pleasant to sit and look at the beach maybe a deck chair hire. Im not so sure this Bistro is in the right place as folk come off the beach to use the toilets in the building and the water taps by the steps to wash off the sand. Also in good weather it has become the in place to be for the youngsters in the late afternoon /evening, .I dont think a higher class eaterie will blend with that .  Having said that if this place is to come about, i will be giving it a try.

Offline peterh

« Reply #929 on: July 26, 2014, 07:30:09 am »
I too believe a Bistro type facility would be out of place, a simple cafe selling good hot drinks, snacks and sandwiches would be far better and I just cannot see an intimate dining experience being created. If there were nice panoramic windows overlooking the see that would be a different story but we have what we have and the architects, CCBC and everyone else who have contributed to the shambles must be called to account. As for the additional kitchen costs  they should be shouldered by the the tenant and most certainly not by the ratepayers. Again if what has been designed is not fit for purpose the then in a business environment the designers should sort it out at no cost.