Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408339 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #840 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:43 am »
I wonder if anyone will be interested? Anyone?.....
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #841 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15:11 am »
Thoughts of Oscar makes a good read today! The hole seems to be getting dug deeper and I don't mean the beach. So its up for hire now any takers??? :o

Still no progress in the so called bistro?  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #842 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »
It looks as though the Porth Eirias saga will run for as long as the Pier saga....

Colwyn Bay Porth Eirias: Calls for clarity over future of £4m watersports complex

Apr 21, 2014 14:32
By Tom Davidson

Confusion over when contracts will be signed for Bryn Williams's Bistro and a new lease advert have prompted David Jones MP to demand answers
Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias

An MP has called for clarity over the future of a multi-million pound watersports complex in North Wales.

It was announced that celebrity chef Bryn Williams was  to open a bistro at Colwyn Bay watersports facility Porth Eirias in September last year, but contracts have not yet been exchanged.

An advert in the Estates Gazette by Conwy council offering a commercial lease at the prime site sparked a flurry of concern that the deal may have fallen through.

Council officials have denied the advert relates to the area designated for the bistro, but Clwyd West MP David Jones said residents deserve to know what is happening with the £4m complex.

He said: “People have a right to know what is going on. There has been a conspicuous lack of clarity for some time.

“We were told only a month ago the contracts were going to be exchanged imminently - that doesn’t look likely to happen now.

“We’re at the start of a new season now with no tenant in place yet again. That is the last thing Colwyn Bay needs.”

Adverts for the leasehold were first placed in 2011. The latest advert reads "Circa 100m2 space in Porth Eirias. One of three tenancies in this landmark building, part of a major waterfront/promenade enhancement project. Shell awaiting tenant's fit out. Centre also has training/meeting room and public facilities. Less than 1/2 mile from A55 Chester to Holyhead trunk road."

It asks for application forms for expressions of interest to be returned by June 12, 2014.

A Conwy council spokeswoman said: “This is not related to the Bistro - this is a different area within Porth Eirias.”

Earlier this month Councillor Abdul Khan accused Conwy Council of keeping residents “in the dark” over the facility.

He said: “We’re unable to answer people’s questions on what’s happening with it. It’s damaged myself by association.”

Conwy Council have remained adamant contract negotiations are close to complete.

Chief executive Iwan Davies has cited a variety of reasons for the delay.

At the start of April he said: “Complicated legal things have taken far longer than we expected.

“The whole council, including me, have been disappointed as to how long it’s taken. I keep faith that it will be something special when we get there.”

At the announcement in September  Bryn said he hoped to have the restaurant open before Christmas.

In early January Bryn said he wanted it to open that month, but was not available for comment today.

The @BrynPorthEirias Twitter account has been unused for 138 days.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-porth-eirias-calls-7013512

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #843 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »
It all seems like a plot for a Muppet show film!  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #844 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:05 pm »
Dave,  I note that applications are to be made to Allan Sharp at CCBC.

Is he not the same guy who, 4 years ago, promised us a crack at the Rhos Harbour Bistro?    Also a copy of the minutes of our meeting which never transpired?
Did he not say that the Pier would be refurbished from sand level upward within 6 months or so?

Hmmm, whilst dinosaurs such as he remain at the helm, I have no faith whatsoever in a positive or professional outcome to this matter.   &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2014, 07:43:33 am »
If what you say is correct, it is a job for the Ombudsman for Maladministration!  ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #846 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:59 am »
Dave,  I note that applications are to be made to Allan Sharp at CCBC.

Is he not the same guy who, 4 years ago, promised us a crack at the Rhos Harbour Bistro?    Also a copy of the minutes of our meeting which never transpired?
You are indeed correct. I understand that CCBC has developed a reputation for being anti-business - the debacles with Porth Eirias, Pier, Dylans on Conwy Quay would certainly seem to substantiate this. There seems to be this desire to control everything, rather than achieve the best solution by letting private businesses in to run things. The result is mediocrity.

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

« Reply #847 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:33 am »
I can't keep up with this.

If they built the "shed on the sand" without the Crown Estates agreement to use the sand and still haven't negotiated a lease how can they hire it out??

Did they know the sand (foreshore) wasn't theirs to use in the first place??

If someone built a house without planning permission a demolition order would be issued.

:-[ :-[

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:37 am »
Our youngest is home for a few days and she treated me and Mrs R to a meal yesterday afternoon at the new restaurant called Hickorys in Rhos-on-Sea.

It was very busy and I believe the place has been really popular ever since it opened a few weeks ago.

It leaves me wondering if putting Hickorys into Porth Eirias may have been a better option than inviting Bryn Williams to open his restaurant there.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #849 on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:34 am »
I doubt that they would have wanted to go in the skip, much better where it is, although no good for us as we are vegetarians!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:00 am »
They might have if there was a financial incentive involved.

It is fine for veggies, ME.

Yesterday, our daughter had to start:

Smokehouse Nachos with sour cream, guacamole & melted cheese served with Spicy Tomato Salsa.

Mrs R started with Cajun Onion Rings with sour cream.

For her main course, the little ‘un had Mac ‘n’ Cheese with sourdough bread and salad

Finally, for a sweet they both enjoyed homemade cookies and milk.

The service was very efficient and the ambience was excellent.

Give it a try.

They are so busy I am sure they could afford to open another one down at Porth Eirias and make a success of it.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:25 pm »
   Your last sentence Bri.

I think you would have to twist their arm somewhat before they would even THINK about it. Wrong position completely.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #852 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:34 am »
At least, there would not be any parking problems as there is now at the ship, Mike.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #853 on: April 24, 2014, 08:45:51 am »

Smokehouse Nachos with sour cream, guacamole & melted cheese served with Spicy Tomato Salsa.

Mrs R started with Cajun Onion Rings with sour cream.

For her main course, the little ‘un had Mac ‘n’ Cheese with sourdough bread and salad

Finally, for a sweet they both enjoyed homemade cookies and milk.

Don't they have any BRITISH FOOD such as, Chicken Tikka Masalla, Char Sui Chow Mein, Paella, Jerk Chicken, Nasi Goreng, Lamb Korma, Chilli Con Carne, Moussaka, Spaghetti Bolognese, Tempura, Falafel, Baklava?   Or even good ol' FISH & CHIPS? 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:20 am »
Probably not, Yorkie, and that is the reason I suspect the place is always full.

You can always have the Texan Slab described as a humongous 52oz prime rump steak, charred over sizzling hot coals & served with fries, onion rings, salad and peppercorn sauce.