Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408544 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #825 on: February 13, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »
Does this remind you of anything?:

Mum's fury after council WIPES OUT front garden to install £40k disabled ramp.
“There must have been a better solution. The council could have gone about the whole project in a more sensible way."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/459535/Mum-s-fury-after-council-WIPES-OUT-front-garden-to-install-40k-disabled-ramp-for-daughter

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #826 on: February 13, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »
What an eyesore! Should ave been a lot cheaper to move!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #827 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »
I should have mentioned that the Porth Eirias architects ('K2 Architects') had linked to that Daily Express story on the ramp, with the comment: "Looks like we got off lightly at Porth Eirias".

The architects also posted today: "Had a sneak preview of the fit out of Bryns restaurant at Porth Eirias today. Looking really good, well worth the wait!" So it sounds as if work has started.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #828 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »
There wasn't a lot going on today.

Offline BMD

« Reply #829 on: February 20, 2014, 11:51:09 am »
I had a look the day before yesterday - zero work done on kitchen. So I'm not sure what the architects were talking about when they said "Had a sneak preview of the fit out of Bryns restaurant at Porth Eirias today". Perhaps they just meant the plans.

I've also heard a rumour (can anyone confirm) that the council has nominated the whole waterfront project (including restored beach, sea defences, etc) for the RICS Awards Wales 2014 - under the title "Porth Eirias". If so, that would be misleading, as "Porth Eirias" was actually the name given to the skip-shaped building alone, in a competition to name it, in February 2012. So it would be wrong for "Porth Eirias" to take credit for the entirely separate (and impressive) feat of engineering which built up the beach, etc.
http://www.rics.org/uk/training-events/networking/rics-wales-awards-2014/cardiff/

The same thing certainly happened with an earlier award (Urban Design Group awards 2014) - which I mentioned in a previous post. I'm pleased that the misleading "Porth Eirias" nomination didn't win that one - but it didn't stop the architects from taking credit. It seems the council may be desperate for some good press for the Skip.

Offline BMD

« Reply #830 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15:41 am »
An update (of sorts) on the bistro:

Speaking on Tuesday, Iwan Davies said: “We’ve never been closer to securing a lease to bring Bryn to Porth Eirias.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/porth-eirias-bryn-williams-restaurant-6880969

I won't bother trying to dress this up in an April Fools type jest, as that would be redundant on this issue. The challenge would be to find something about it that doesn't bring "fools" to mind.  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #831 on: April 01, 2014, 10:26:32 am »
More chance of Fanny Craddock opening a bistro there!  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #832 on: April 01, 2014, 11:08:12 am »
Whilst having a walk along the Prom on Sunday, I noticed that the side entrrance to the Pier had been completely cleared of rubbish etc, looks a lot tidier. I suppose they're smartening it up ready for demolition.....  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #833 on: April 03, 2014, 10:25:38 am »
The Porth Eirias disaster rumbles on...

Offline BMD

« Reply #834 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
In the accompanying article in the new edition of the NW Weekly News (not online yet), it says:

"Since Christmas the Weekly News has been flooded with letters branding the watersports facility [Porth Eirias] a white elephant and a waste of money".

No big surprise of course, but it's further confirmation "in black & white" of the widespread unpopularity of the building - should those responsible (architects, planners, councillors) choose to lift their eyes from their official spin and flipboards.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #835 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:09 pm »
They usually go on about sea defences, but that is a separate thing to building a giant skip with no obvious way of getting any income from it! I wonder what the running costs have been since the skip was completed?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #836 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:04 pm »
. . . . .  I wonder what the running costs have been since the skip was completed?

I guess the Council will Skip that question!   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #837 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:44 am »
I wonder what the running costs have been since the skip was completed?

I'd also like to know that. The council was very keen to promote the ongoing cost of the pier (maintenance, "security", etc). But less keen, apparently, to promote such figures for Porth Eirias.

I'd also like to how much public money will be used to subsidise the planned "celebrity" bistro - including the various start-up costs (oval kitchen units, anyone?), legal costs, promotion, special deals on rent and other sweeteners, etc. In other words, I'd like to know how "sustainable" it really is (given that anti-pier councillors seem big on "sustainability").

Perhaps someone will make a Freedom of Information request, or two, at some point.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #838 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:28 pm »
I wonder what the running costs have been since the skip was completed?

Perhaps someone will make a Freedom of Information request, or two, at some point.

Why not do it yourself.   It is very satisfying when you receive the reply!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

« Reply #839 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:01 am »
Thoughts of Oscar makes a good read today! The hole seems to be getting dug deeper and I don't mean the beach. So its up for hire now any takers??? :o