Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408326 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #810 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:41 pm »
Don't forget to add 'extremely low running costs for the bistro!'  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Linda

« Reply #811 on: January 09, 2014, 01:16:53 am »
The Railway Line embankment at Old Colwyn is the responsibility of Network Rail, rather than the Council.

The road through Deganwy is below sea level in places, so always floods during high tides. Not a lot you can do about it, really.
I guess your right over Deganwy unless that road was raised it will be a problem. That s what the council intend doing near Colwyn Pier.
Getting back to Old Colwyn although the embankment as you say is Network Rails responsibility, surely the sea defence along there remains the Councils responsibility therefore adding protection for the road and footpath. That area of the prom is very busy and provides a 3rd option of getting through the busy early morning traffic for schools and folk on the way to work. I'm sure we will never see the day when we don't have the prom closed due to bad weather but by spending on that area and improving the sea defences would  hopefully stop it getting any worse.
I spent years getting stuck in the morning traffic in Old Colwyn going to work and taking the children to school. Unless something is done soon that area of prom will spend more time closed than open. My little gripe is all that money on the waterfront surely some should be going on the whole of the promenade beginning at Old Colwyn. We were led to believe this would happen.  Roll on summer  8)

Offline Linda

« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:57 am »
 I did notice a more positive approach to Porth eirias waterfront in the Pioneer today . Pointing out the facilities for watersports for all who wish to try them. Most positive was the extension to local schools. I think this is fantastic and gives children from local schools the opportunity to try canoeing, sailing and windsurfing, these are activities normally only open to the private schools. So hurray for that one! Also pleased see the crazy golf taking shape at Rhos, better than nothing and that corner needs revamping.

Offline nwpo

« Reply #813 on: January 29, 2014, 05:41:14 pm »
Talking of the Skip, this is tomorrow's front page.  Apparently, there's confirmation that negotiations haven't been concluded yet.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #814 on: January 29, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »
Well, you read it on the Forum first. Personally, I have serious doubts over whether it will ever open. The whole Porth Eirias project has been yet another disaster for Conwy Council.  &shake&

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #815 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
Not at all surprising! A big white elephant in a skip! Bonkers!  &shake&

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #816 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:12 pm »
What the hell will they do with it now, looks like a prison, they could beat Wrexham to it. :( :(

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #817 on: January 31, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #818 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »
Good comment ME _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #819 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:42 am »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #820 on: February 01, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
 £12 million regeneration cash for Conwy.

Conwy council will use the funds to continue the regeneration of the seafront at Colwyn Bay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25984433

Offline BMD

« Reply #821 on: February 03, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
What the hell will they do with it now, looks like a prison, they could beat Wrexham to it. :( :(

Or at least a windowless solitary-confinement section of a prison.

It still puzzles me when I walk past the big windowless zinc part of it. What is the space inside used for? (Apart from the portion taken up by toilets/changing rooms). If I were a novelist, I might imagine it's always been planned as a secret monitoring facility. And perhaps the pier structure somehow interferes with clear transmission, so had to go. But there had to be a cover story, of course. Perhaps the architect was giving a subtle clue when he tweeted this:

;)

Offline BMD

« Reply #822 on: February 05, 2014, 05:59:33 pm »
It appears that the Colwyn Bay sea defences project has been nominated (by the council?) for a National Urban Design Award: http://www.udg.org.uk/events/london-and-south-east/national-urban-design-awards-2014

The problem is that it's titled under the name "Porth Eirias", which everyone (including the local media and the BBC) understands to mean the non-essential building unaffectionately known to locals as The Skip (aka Monument to Cluenessness in Design & Planning). Unfortunately, the organisers of the award (UDG) think that "Porth Eirias" includes "sea defence, a promenade, a restored beach & a link to the town".

The award would be good damage control for the council, PR you couldn't buy. But totally misleading given that "Porth Eirias" really refers to the building, not the restored beach, etc. It's ironic given what UDG is trying to promote ("raising standards of urban design", etc) and which Porth Eirias does the exact opposite of (misleading public consulations, Carbuncle Cup shorlisted, still empty and unused two years after original planned opening in "Summer 2012", ill-considered design, unfit for seaside purposes, etc, etc).

It would make more sense if the nomination was for the "Colwyn Bay sea defences and restored beach". Anything but "Porth Eirias".

I think UDG have seen nothing but council PR (their PDF document describing Porth Eirias certainly gives that impression). Perhaps they should be informed of what's really been going on, the scathing press coverage, the even more scathing local public opinion, etc. They're contactable here:

http://www.udg.org.uk/about
Email: admin@udg.org.uk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: February 05, 2014, 06:17:24 pm »
It still puzzles me when I walk past the big windowless zinc part of it. What is the space inside used for? (Apart from the portion taken up by toilets/changing rooms). If I were a novelist, I might imagine it's always been planned as a secret monitoring facility.
All is revealed:

Offline BMD

« Reply #824 on: February 05, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »
Very interesting, DaveR, thanks. It seems to have changed quite a bit from the original plan, in which the toilets, showers and changing rooms took up much less overall space. There was a large sea-facing "observation room" in the original. I guess the toilets, etc, expanded in size to fill the space left by it.

With all that generous space for showers and changing rooms, maybe they'll consider turning the rest of the building into a gym or swimming baths?  ;)