Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408322 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #645 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:23 am »
what.s all the fuss about think of all the people coming to see the ugliest building in Britain, what a crowd puller some folk are never happy

You're right - if it attracts a lot of people, then that's one important measure of success. Another measure is attractiveness (which shouldn't be hard to achieve on a £5 million budget), but perhaps there's too much focus on that.

Offline BMD

« Reply #646 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:12 am »
Given the recession and the downturn in the construction sector, I am surprised that there were six major buildings completed in recent years.  Maybe the CB waterfront thingy will be in the TOP 6 as well!  :D

:laugh: I'm sure it'll be in the top 6 UK waterfront sports facilities opened in 2013. And it'll probably get a 'good' award or two.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
They did have at least one money making venture going at the centre today!

Offline hollins

« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
We had a good look around today and in parts it looked quite good especially in the sunshine.
We were told that the permission from the Crown was sorted in the first half of July but the" famous Welsh chef" that has taken on the lease does not think it worth starting to build the kitchen this far in to the season. The first minister is coming to have a meeting there on September 9th.
Still no electricity in the kitchen or retail area.
It would have been fantastic to be able to sit and have a drink on the roof today or even in the Bistro for that matter.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #649 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
Re the pic of the deck chairs, I like the pictures of a deck chair on the advert itself, in case you didn't know what one is!  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline stewbow

« Reply #651 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »
We had a good look around today and in parts it looked quite good especially in the sunshine.
We were told that the permission from the Crown was sorted in the first half of July but the" famous Welsh chef" that has taken on the lease does not think it worth starting to build the kitchen this far in to the season. The first minister is coming to have a meeting there on September 9th.
It would have been fantastic to be able to sit and have a drink on the roof today or even in the Bistro for that matter.
some really good pictures there, showing how impressive the place really is, not the any of the old codgers (who made up their minds long ago) will ever admit it.

Offline Linda

Offline Linda

« Reply #653 on: August 23, 2013, 12:06:31 am »

Whow yes Hollins it will be a lovely spot when (hopefully) the cafe opens there, and as you point out what a great place on the top to have a few tables. Nice photos!

Offline hollins

« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2013, 05:08:40 pm »
Sadly I don't think there will be a way of serving on the roof as there is no direct access unless they put a dumb waiter in from the kitchen.
A few more photos taken yesterday.

Offline BMD

« Reply #655 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:04 pm »
Here's a new BBC piece on the Carbuncle Cup (with a photo of Porth Eirias):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23765580

I confess that I really like the Redcar Beacon (also shown). I can see why people think it's ugly, but at least it seems to be an ambitious, bold design - rather than a bland compromise. Maybe I'm not such a grumpy old codger after all.  ;)

Offline hollins

« Reply #656 on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »
Ha! I think the Redcar one is hideous.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #657 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:42 pm »
On the top picture, I remember watching them slot some of those curved sections into place and thinking, well at least they have put drain holes in them to let the water out.
But, it looks as if the holes are at least 3 inches above the path so will the path be under water then?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:31 pm »
On the top picture, I remember watching them slot some of those curved sections into place and thinking, well at least they have put drain holes in them to let the water out.
But, it looks as if the holes are at least 3 inches above the path so will the path be under water then?
Well spotted! If you look closely at the photo, you'll see a thin black strip set into the floor. This is a linear drain that deals with normal rainfall. The concrete outlets are for when the sea comes over and overwhelms the linear drain.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:39 pm »
Your pics are fantastic Hollins. Personally, I think "the skip" looks good - yes it is a 'modern' structure, but there is also nothing else much on the waterfront/prom for it to clash with apart from the pier, so in my opinion it does not look out of place. (the pier is in drastic need of refurbishment or demolition - NOW not next season!!) 
- - - Before "the skip" was built, the waterfront of Colwyn Bay was like a blank canvas & many different ideas would have worked. "the skip" has now started to paint the canvas for the new Colwyn Bay so this leaves the area open to more designs of this type of structure.
I visited in July this year & it is the pier which is the eyesore, not "the skip"

Commercially it may not warrant all the money spent on it, but if other companies invest in Colwyn Bay waterfront ventures & build the same type of innovative structures, then it could become one of the best modern holiday resorts in the UK.

The only way this can work though is through MAJOR advertising.

The only person that will agree with me about all this is Stewpot.  $good$