Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408620 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:32 am »
From a distance it does not look any better!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »
Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me!  :laugh: yes it was me who first called it the 'Skip by the Sea'  :D

Well done M.E.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:45 pm »
It looks very dull the moment it goes cloudy. Not sure that zinc is such a huge improvement over, say, concrete - despite the council's PR about it being a "chameleon-like" material.

Also, the garden could do with some work.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:43 am »
It looks very dull the moment it goes cloudy. Not sure that zinc is such a huge improvement over, say, concrete - despite the council's PR about it being a "chameleon-like" material.

Sadly the "chameleon-like" ability is not working, you can still see the hideous thing whatever the weather!

Offline Tosh

« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »
Should we believe that all those clumps of grass have been planted there in order to help bind the soil and therefore prevent soil erosion?
Or.
Is it just that nobody can be bothered to weed it and plant proper plants which are tolerant of the local climate and conditions?
It might even be the same strain of grass as on the Turf Clock.

Offline BMD

« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:40 pm »
The Skip by the Sea, more news!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/porth-eirias-nominated-ugliest-building-4724818

I saw this in the print edition of the Daily Post this morning. There's a picture on the front page, with the caption "IS THIS THE UK'S UGLIEST BUILDING - see page 3". Most of page 3 is taken up with the report, together with a big photo showing the building in a more ugly light than the one in the online article. (I'll post a scan later).

Offline BMD

« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
Here's a scan of page 3 of today's Daily Post:

http://i41.tinypic.com/15kj86.jpg

Offline Linda

« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2013, 11:30:37 pm »
 The Waterfront would look so much better if it was softened by some large palms on the beach side, if they would survive, It just needs some TLC.(or bulldozer)  Or it could be painted with a few wave like designs and turn it into an Aquarium or similar. As it is we are stuck with it so to make the best of it add more greenery, those grasses are getting walked on and drying out.
 I just hope it doesn't turn into the Ffrith beach disaster, all the colourful buildings left to rot. I seem to remember as a kid Ffrith beach was really nice with boating and amusements, simple seaside fun ,what a mess was made of that.
 I'm sure though with time ( about 100 years or so) the grasses will have grown high enough to cover the whole lot it.|Giving it a mysterious and surreal look. Maybe the waterfront buildings will be our very own Machu Picchu 'The Lost city of the Incas' . It even has the slabs on the top , uch! gruesome!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #564 on: June 28, 2013, 12:09:02 am »
Macchu Pichu.... doesn't he play up front for Swansea City FC?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #565 on: June 28, 2013, 12:51:18 am »
Macchu Pichu.... doesn't he play up front for Swansea City FC?
  :laugh:
I understand the players name is Michu  D)
Imagination of mine running amoke with the waterfront building ,something the developers didnt have a lot of.

Offline BMD

« Reply #566 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:43 pm »
Now that it has 'official' confirmation (so to speak) of being not very nice to look at, I'm seeing architect & designer types saying criticial things about it on the web. There are also some amusing comments on Twitter, eg:

Offline BMD

« Reply #567 on: June 30, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »
Correction to something I wrote earlier, based on a tour of the building (which gave me the impression the toilets were only accessible via the changing rooms): I noticed on my latest wander, that the toilets are also accessible directly from the corridor fairly near to the entrance to the building which faces Old Colwyn. They seemed open and functional this time.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #568 on: June 30, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »
Wheeeeeeee! :-[
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: June 30, 2013, 05:33:58 pm »
Literally, in fact   WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.