Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408740 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #525 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:05 pm »
I'd like to see CCTV in council meetings, so we can monitor those who spend our money.
That might be a more cost-effective use of surveillance than monitoring litter-bugs!  ;)

Most Council Meetings  (Town or County) are open meetings so no need to go google eyed watching  Monitor, get a free seat amongst the action!

And if you miss a Meeting, you can always read the Minutes later    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #526 on: June 12, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »
Most Council Meetings  (Town or County) are open meetings so no need to go google eyed watching  Monitor, get a free seat amongst the action!

And if you miss a Meeting, you can always read the Minutes later    :D

That's interesting - I may go along. Actually, at one point I considered asking for the minutes of the meetings with the architects, in which they decided to use zinc instead of glass (etc). But I thought: 'life's too short' (I'd also read some of the rather obstructive FOI responses to requests for council info regarding the pier).

I just googled "attending council meetings conwy", and got this interesting Daily Post piece, which says the council is considering broadcasting webcasts of meetings: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-consider-webcasts-meetings-2636676

I remain sceptical, though. In my experience, the bureaucratic instinct is to resist openess while ostensibly promoting it. The misleading "public consultations" regarding the development of Porth Eirias are a case in point.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #527 on: June 12, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »
In my experience, the bureaucratic instinct is to resist openess while ostensibly promoting it. The misleading "public consultations" regarding the development of Porth Eirias are a case in point.
Spot on.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
the biggest disadvantage was the cost, not only to set it up but the “considerable” managing and maintainance costs.

_))*

1 x Broadband router and connection, half a dozen web cams, some free software and a mixer. Probably costs all of £300...

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #529 on: June 15, 2013, 02:29:59 pm »
A nice, helpful chap gave me a tour of the Waterfront building this morning.

The large zinc-clad section pointing out to sea contains changing rooms & toilets... and, er, that seems to be about it. I mentioned to him that this seemed odd planning, particularly as this section was originally designed as glass-clad. He replied that, to his mind, they were "two completely different buildings" (ie the original design & the actual built version) - but, that (to quote him), "I'm not allowed to say much about that... and I don't know too much about it myself".

So, the largest, ugliest section of the building - which now dominates the promenade - contains nothing that really has to have a prominent position (or be that size, particularly in height).

There are two conference areas - one small, and one fairly large (under the pier-facing ramp). This is a public building set on a beach - is it really the place for conference rooms? (Colwyn Bay is full of empty & underused buildings as it is). I wonder how often they'll be used, and by whom.

Aside from the positives (it'll be nice to have a cafe, and I like steps down to the beach), I think this is one of the most ill-conceived uses of expensive, prominently-positioned building space I've ever seen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: June 15, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »
Funnily enough, I visited too this morning.

Still no sign of any progress whatsoever on the cafe or the shop areas...this is fast turning into a £5,000,000 disaster for Conwy County taxpayers.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #531 on: June 15, 2013, 04:17:39 pm »

Still no sign of any progress whatsoever on the cafe or the shop areas...this is fast turning into a £5,000,000 disaster for Conwy County taxpayers.

Can we sue the Council?     D)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #532 on: June 15, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
My parents visited me at Colwyn Bay a week ago, and I showed them around the Waterfront building. My dad (who's in his mid-80s) commented: "the problem is they have no imagination".

I couldn't have agreed more with him. You have a Victorian seaside resort, and £5m to build an ATTRACTION on its promenade. Who would think of conference rooms and acres of boring zinc cladding?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #533 on: June 15, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »
Amazingly we also had a visit this afternoon! I was looking to see how many watersports enthusiasts would be there on a lovely sunny June weekend. I saw one sail board, one jetski and two canoes and that's it! I saw someone attempting to use the non working drinking fountain! Plenty of children in the play area, but nothing really to bring money in! It's brand new yet looking tatty already, wood splitting and I noticed sand and litter behind the higher glass panels the planted borders also do not look very good to say the least! Heads should roll over this eyesore!  I did like the mosaic though!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

QUESTIONS are being asked as to why the £5m Porth Eirias Watersports Centre in Colwyn Bay remains unopened, despite a much hyped launch party held nearly a month ago.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/questions-being-asked-over-porth-4310831

Offline BMD

« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2013, 03:24:33 pm »

QUESTIONS are being asked as to why the £5m Porth Eirias Watersports Centre in Colwyn Bay remains unopened, despite a much hyped launch party held nearly a month ago.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/questions-being-asked-over-porth-4310831

The article mentions beach users wanting access to the (still unopened) toilets in Porth Eirias. My impression was that the toilets are actually tucked away behind changing rooms (in the large windowless zinc wedge) - as if they were intended primarily for the watersports people, not for easy access by loads of beach-users & their kids.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2013, 12:05:57 am »
hhh
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2013, 09:27:40 am »
Just to mention, as regards beach cleanliness, I walked along the length of new beach on Saturday afternoon and it was spotless.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2013, 10:27:45 am »
A rather lively discussion about the Watersports Centre on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ColwynBayPastPresent/posts/264399007034942

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #539 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
Yes, some good comments there! I wonder how councillors elected by us, can spend so much on something that few seem to want!  ???