Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408671 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #420 on: May 18, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
I believe a search is on for an all male synchronised swimming team!   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #421 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »
Just been inside it, please tell me it isn't finished, lots of exposed pipes and wiring, very industrial looking! Can we have our £5,000,000 back please!

I had a walk to this too , and my thoughts were where is the cafe? Unless i missed it we shuffled through one door and out of the
other and didnt see anything. Lots of folk around though pity about the weather.

Offline Linda

« Reply #422 on: May 19, 2013, 12:12:31 am »
I believe a search is on for an all male synchronised swimming team!   _))*

_))*I do hope they have to wear the regulation flowery swimcaps, heres is the team in training Yorkie  $bounce$

Offline Linda

« Reply #423 on: May 19, 2013, 12:22:21 am »
Seriously though, lets hope the waterfront is used and enjoyed by many and yes it would be wonderful if folk had the chance
to try a few watersports they would otherwise not do. Also hope the building is used to the full potential and not left closed up because
there arent enough businesses taking on the units.Now that would be a waste.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #424 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:40 am »
Sorry Linda, this is more like the team in training.         Z** Z** Z** Z**

I cannot see there being a facility for the hiring out of jet skis, think of the insurance risk.
It will just be the usual crowd coming in for the day but good luck to them, if you've worked had all week you deserve a break.
 (*) sorry, couldn't find a jet skier so a motor scooter will have to do.
Tosh

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: May 19, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »
I visited Porth Eirias today. Have to say i found the building a huge disappointment.

Offline Linda

« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:51 pm »
Sorry Linda, this is more like the team in training.         Z** Z** Z** Z**

I cannot see there being a facility for the hiring out of jet skis, think of the insurance risk.
It will just be the usual crowd coming in for the day but good luck to them, if you've worked had all week you deserve a break.
 (*) sorry, couldn't find a jet skier so a motor scooter will have to do.
Tosh

L0L would love to see scooter tootling along in the water  and yes i suspect your version of a team could be correct  :laugh:

Offline Linda

« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2013, 07:57:59 pm »
I visited Porth Eirias today. Have to say i found the building a huge disappointment.

I think bland and seems to lack something, was my reaction. Great photos though! :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:08:38 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: May 19, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »
It feels as though they decided to put a building there but struggled for ideas on what to actually do with it.

The amount of public area inside the building must be only about 30% of the total area; the rest is storerooms, offices etc.

The circular reception area seems completely pointless - what will it be used for? I can foresee it being left abandoned and gathering dust before too long.

The cafe appears to be a 'Bistro' and was nowhere near completion. Given that the place has been in the offing for several years, that has to be seen as being very poor management. The obvious choice would be to put a cafe that that would appeal to all the beach users/walkers etc.

The areas of shrubbery on both ramps have already been trampled underfoot by hundreds of feet - without a railing to protect them, this was always going to happen (see photo)

Offline sam

« Reply #429 on: May 19, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »

It feels as though they decided to put a building there but struggled for ideas on what to actually do with it.
The circular reception area seems completely pointless - what will it be used for? I can foresee it being left abandoned and gathering dust before too long.
Art / exhibition gallery maybe...:/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #430 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:25 pm »
Hmmm
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline BMD

« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »
Article about the prom event in the Daily Post: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/thousands-visit-colwyn-bay-prom-387289

“The whole Porth Eirias project has been delivered on time and on budget.” ?! I thought it was a year behind schedule (the large printed boards at the building site originally said "opening in Summer 2012").

At least the Daily Post article doesn't mention the "chameleon-like" zinc cladding which "changes its colour with the weather" (an amusing take, which seems to be part of the damage-control PR churnalised by the local press). It's a sign of desperation, I think, when the hopelessly dull is spun as something exotic.

I was quite impressed with the beach, though:

Offline BMD

« Reply #432 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
Sorry, the Daily Post link was missing a digit. Here's the correct one:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/thousands-visit-colwyn-bay-prom-3872894

Offline BMD

« Reply #433 on: May 20, 2013, 02:12:18 pm »
Incidentally, I think zinc can look good - there's nothing inherently wrong with it as a cladding material. But I think it needs a little imagination combined with thoughtful design. You don't go: "Oh, it looks like we can't do glass, after all, so we'll just put up a wall of zinc instead. Hey, it's chameleon-like! No problem."  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »
“The whole Porth Eirias project has been delivered on time and on budget.” ?! I thought it was a year behind schedule (the large printed boards at the building site originally said "opening in Summer 2012").
In Conwy Council Land, anything can be true if you wish it so....  :laugh:

You're quite right though, and here's the evidence in a photo I took back in 2011. People wonder why we don't trust CCBC....