Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408936 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:16 am »
Yes Linda-- I know the feeling-- my OH would have been the same.  Hedges are also useful for people to stuff bottles and cartons into-- Easier than the nearest bin.! Grrr
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
Yes i feel like that about it $angry$ $angry$ $angry$ $angry$. Feel much better for that  ;)

Offline BMD

« Reply #407 on: May 15, 2013, 04:05:08 pm »
I notice the trees have been removed. Presumably they'd died? (I noticed they'd gone a bit brown).

This is from today:

Compare Dave's earlier photo:

Meanwhile, some progress on the planted sections of the ramps:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: May 15, 2013, 04:12:56 pm »
Yes, I thought the trees looked half dead the last time I was there. Just like all the trees planted along Sea View Road, I assume they've all died because no-one thought to water them.

Offline Linda

« Reply #409 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:46 pm »
Looks that way, Always thought you had to water trees daily when first planted. What a waste!
Maybe something drought resistant like Palms would do better if they cant be bothered to look after them.
We use to have palms on station road before the revamp. Lots of well established Palms all ripped up and destroyed in front of our eyes, such a shame.
Still onward and upward ,the ramps will look good when established with a lot more Plants (I hope) also hope wheelchairs can get up there. I also have a feeling that the skateboard kids may make it a stop off too( cant  blame them really) it does look like there may be a lot of jump areas( I wonder if the planners thought of that one ) :D

Offline viv

« Reply #410 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
I was privileged as a Town Cllr to be taken round the site a few weeks ago. I told them that they were the wrong sort of trees for a sea wing and the salt would burn them - they said it was the architects design and they just did as they were told! I also commented that the ramp was ideal for Skateboarders and the person showing us round said that it would be fine as long as they didn't go at the same time as the wheelchair users and there would be CCTV in case of any hassle. At that time the franchises hadn't been let, but they had interest for watersports wear and souvenirs.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #411 on: May 15, 2013, 10:52:19 pm »
    I have written to the forum on this subject in the past. Probably around 18 months ago the Council advertised for expressions of interest in these trading positions. They gave a deadline of seven days. After 18 months I hope no one is holding their breath s they open their post.

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »
I was taking a walk past the waterfront development today, and there was quite a bit of active going on.

As I passed two official looking people, I heard one asking something along the line of “What do you mean there are no toilets?”
The other person said “it looks like an oversight…”
The first person replied “Oversight! How much is this *£*%*$* costing?” He sounded quite miffed.

That’s about all I heard, but it sounded like something was going wrong.

Does the waterfront Development have toilets? Does he mean something like a lack porta loos required for the crowds expected this weekend?

Perhaps someone else can get to the bottom of their toilet troubles.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2013, 11:31:49 pm »
This is from a blog I found on the architects design... it would seem that the toilets issue may well be a weekend issue, not a fundamental design problem.

Plans for Colwyn Bay waterfront revealed
by Richard Evans, DPW West
Jan 7 2011
A SEASIDE town will be transformed by one of six architect designs for a new waterfront, voted on at a packed-out public consultation yesterday.

Conwy council had to bring in more staff to cope with the long waiting queues waiting to see the exhibition as six variations of the new look water-sports hotspot were unveiled at an exhibition. They feature iconic buildings and concept ideas to be developed once the consultation is complete next week.

Included in the designs was a striking triangular four-level tower overlooking the sea; three interconnecting concrete drum buildings, providing water-sport facilities and an elevated promenade sheltering a cafe beneath.

All six designs include toilets, changing facilities, parking and a restaurant or bar. The water-sports centre will be adjacent to the jet-ski jetty on the Old Colwyn side of the pier.

The plans were submitted by architects as part of a competition organised by Conwy County Council to select a favourite design before they are commissioned for phase one of the project.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2013, 12:46:16 pm »
Just been inside it, please tell me it isn't finished, lots of exposed pipes and wiring, very industrial looking! Can we have our £5,000,000 back please!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »
Here's the original architect's proposal (winning design) before it was amended. Note that the large section pointing out to sea (now cladded in zinc rather than glass) houses WCs, showers, changing rooms, staff room and "observation room".

Presumably the "observation room" no longer exists, as the only thing you'd "observe" is the inside of a windowless zinc wall.

It's a shame that the various design meetings weren't recorded and made public. I'd love to know how this bizarre design folly "evolved".

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:18 pm »
More pics of the thing, takes ages pushing a wheelchair or pushchair up the yellow brick road, seems they forgot to add a lift to the top!!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2013, 06:10:23 pm »
On the plus side, they've now planted some replacement trees.

They'd closed it all off (ramps & interior) by the time I got there, just before 4pm - for VIPs, the security bloke said.

Not a great day for this kind of thing, unfortunately - cold and dull.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2013, 08:09:38 pm »
I am hoping that at some stage they offer such things as Jet Ski's for hire, and other exciting water based attractions!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2013, 08:21:39 pm »
   As to the toilets, there are some on the other side of the road. Been there 100 years. 100 years of closing at 5.30 p.m. Lets hope someone has thought to change that habit.