Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408892 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
I can imagine there would be a significant financial risk entailed for anyone thinking of mounting a regular service.  Llandudno - Isle of Man from June - October might be feasible, I suppose, but I have no idea about what it would cost to mount and thus what they'd have to charge.  Maybe a project for Mike and you to consider, F?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2013, 09:09:26 am »
A regular service is not really viable, due to the cost of fuel these days. Unless you can guarantee a full ship every trip (as with Waverley's visits etc), you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

What a lot of people don't know is that the Llandudno - Isle of Man service that ran in the 60s/70s only existed because of a heavy subsidy from the Manx Government.

I actually contacted the owners of the Waverley/Balmoral, asking if they would consider a special trip to Llandudno - Isle of Man once the Landing Stage reopened or would allow me to hire the ship for such a trip - they never even bothered to reply.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2013, 05:56:09 pm »
Latest photos of Beach Recharge work this morning. Work is still ongoing on the Rhos side of the Pier, whilst the Watersports centre beach is now finished and great it looks too! Photos done on iPhone, so not as good as usual, I'm afraid.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »
Here's a little video I did of the beach recharge work:
Colwyn Bay Beach Recharge Work

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2013, 09:15:56 pm »
  Great video David.  Knowing as I do the virtually instant damage salty sea water does to any metal in any shape or form and, of course, all electrical equipment ---- I can only hope that the contractors have got a hugh supply of fresh water to wash down all those diggers every night. Otherwise there are going to be some hugh heaps of rust in a few months time. Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2013, 10:26:08 pm »
Good pics and video, saves me putting my pics up!  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:33 pm »
as i have mentioned in other posts  my father earned his living at one stage in photography and he used to say its not so much the camera as the man behind it, it is an art in its own and you definitely have the touch Dave.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2013, 10:54:51 pm »
  Great video David.  Knowing as I do the virtually instant damage salty sea water does to any metal in any shape or form and, of course, all electrical equipment ---- I can only hope that the contractors have got a hugh supply of fresh water to wash down all those diggers every night. Otherwise there are going to be some hugh heaps of rust in a few months time. Mike
Thank you, Mike, I was thinking the same myself.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »
as i have mentioned in other posts  my father earned his living at one stage in photography and he used to say its not so much the camera as the man behind it, it is an art in its own and you definitely have the touch Dave.
Thank you, Snowcap, very kind of you to say so.  :)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:58 pm »
taking good photos is a question of being in the right place at the right time with the best equipment that is available but you have to have a certain skill to know that it is the right time and place, that is a gift and not a lot of people know they have got it but never use it, i,ts good to see you have and use it to your advantage, we also get the benefit of it on the forum, so thank you on behalf of all.

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2013, 01:27:01 am »
Once again Dave Is the man great pics and video. I will raise this as an idea at one of our local forums they might like the thought of walking on sand than stones on Southsea beach.some news on the saga of southparade pier there is talk of a consortium being got together to buying the pier we will wait and see.   Romanjohn.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:32 pm »
On Saturday it was a nice sunny day and in the afternoon we drove down to have a look at the new development on the Promenade and we then drove back along the Prom to Penrhyn Bay.  As we drove past the Kiosk with the pink car parked outside we saw that the café was packed with people enjoying the food and drink and thought what a shame it was that they were closing.  The new café looks good but the Kiosks cater for a variety of people including those out for a stroll with dogs. Everyone is made to feel welcome there and apart from that it is quite far to the new café.   I've a feeling that visitors and residents alike will be heading for Nino's and Fortes and all the other nice cafes that Rhos has when the Kiosks close.
The only reason we didn't stop was because we had already arranged to go to Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »
The Kiosk are being replaced with new catering outlets, as the work to rebuild the Prom progresses towards Rhos. It isn't the case that there wont be anywhere to have a cup of tea between the Watersports centre and Rhos once all the work is completed.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2013, 05:24:37 pm »
What exactly does that mean Dave?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: April 07, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »
It means that the 'hotspot' that the Watersports Centre sits on (the new bit of the Prom sticking out to sea) is likely to be the first of several along the Prom as the rebuilding work continues.