Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408470 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »
Can anyone confirm this interesting piece of news? ;)

https://twitter.com/NewsFrames/status/308584075487223811

There was a piece on BBC Breakfast this morning about murals in general and particularly about restoring the murals at Colwyn Bay pier if they get funding from the Lotto Heritage Fund but I don't recall any mention of putting one at the new Watersports building.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:51 pm »
I think it's a bit of gentle teasing myself...  ;)

Offline viv

Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:36 pm »
Great idea! It is a long way to a loo if you are halfway along the prom!

Offline Linda

« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
I think it's a bit of gentle teasing myself...  ;)

It Could be Colwyn Bays new Recycling Centre , slots for plastic glass ,clothes etc. ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:55:36 pm by Ian »

Offline Linda

« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »
Maybe your right over toilets etc. we could also have the same as the ones at West Shore llandudno, coin operated so at least generating some funds towards upkeep. As far as any new building of kiosks are concerned the leaseholder at one of the Kiosks at rhos says he has
never heard of that plan and its never been mentioned to him. Is the plan with the proposed kiosks available? if so where?. This controversy was televised last night on the Welsh news and im pleased to add supported by an enormous amount of people,also see the Colwyn bay FB page for the tv coverage. I do know for fact they wont go without a fight.
I did see all the prep and start of the sand work today on a grand scale, hope it wont take long as I want to walk pushing my NEW GRANDSON in his pram, born (almost on the beach at West shore whilst we walked , brave daughter left it a bit late) lol. 4th March at 6.30 pm .Got back with just 2hrs grace. It must have been the beautiful sunshine on the water and 2 swans making the whole beach look so tranquil. {}{}

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
I’m sure that this is a superb example of ‘contemporary’ architecture that blends seamlessly into existing buildings along the Promenade.

I’m convinced that this will be our Blackpool Tower, Brighton Pier and London Eye; offering great revenue and ensuring envy from all visitors to Colwyn.

I know that this will benefit everyone more than investing in renovation of the few neglected eyesores of our three towns.

When I pass this structure, my heart leaps with joy and wonderment.

But, I have to ask, is it just me or the beer that makes it this look like this tonight?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2013, 11:07:36 pm »
Yes, it does look like a skip, I find it hard to understand how it takes so long and costs so much to produce such an eyesore!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »
I can only guess they are paid very well, by the hour, till it's finished, Merddin.  ;)

Offline Linda

« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2013, 11:25:20 pm »
Could have been so much better. When i drive down towards Old Colwyn and look over where the old Hotel 70' degrees use to be, you just see this greyish skip shape, definitely a place to recycle your unwanted stuff. (and no I am not a fly tipper) lol
We had the opportunity to create something striking to look at as well as useful. I remember seeing some wonderful designs, I just dont know what happened to them ???

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks this looks like a skip, Linda. From looking at the drawings that were outside the development and comparing it to what I was seeing, I did wonder if this was another case of ‘I’m going to build something like this, but the picture might differ from reality’.
This is why I am so critical and suspicious of developers moving in and cashing in on our area for a quick buck, and leaving us with unpleasant looking buildings to live with.
I have seen this over and over again throughout Britain, and I hope we don't become another victim of poor planning via a complacent Planning Department.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2013, 07:13:40 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:11 am »
Post-planning changes were also noted by one of our members:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,185.msg39211.html#msg39211
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:07 am »
I note that the approved design had a canopy stretching out from the end of the building - this seems to have disappeared in the final design.  &shake&

I also don't see why you would have a wonderful location like that and not take full advantage of it by having a curving glass  wall along the entire seaward side?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:32:49 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:43 am »
The entire Promenade is being rebuilt in stages, from the Watersports Centre to the slipway at Rhos. As part of the rebuild, new cafes and kiosks are being provided but I don't think precise plans are being drawn up yet.

I hope the new cafes/kiosks provide a high standard of food/drink, rather than just appealing to the lowest common denominator with instant coffee and chip baps. Judging by how busy Fortes and Ninos in Rhos get, people want quality food & drink and are happy to pay for it. I find the Coffee Pot kiosk is the only one that is worth visiting, at present.

Offline BMD

« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
My heart sinks every time I walk past it. The reasons given for the design changes were "cost" and "building regulations". But one of the main premises of a design competition is to take into account what can realistically be built. (It's like choosing the design for St Pauls cathedral, and then building it without a dome, for cost & safety reasons).

I hope nobody buys the "it's just modern architecture" argument. I have a degree in architecture, and have long been an admirer of good contemporary design - everything from stark modernism to the more experimental stuff. And I did like the original glass, curved-roof design. But what's been built would embarrass a first-year architecture student. It's appearance is totally insensitive to the surroundings, and, to me, it looks simply hideous from the Old Colwyn side of the prom. What a wasted opportunity...