Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408585 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:39 am »
You failed to mention which year!   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2012, 02:47:55 pm »
....and they said they HOPE it will be finished by April.

Doesn't sound very definite does it?

I wonder if Mr Jones thinks that the management of this project was also 'truly impressive'?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »
First Minister Carwyn Jones has visited the £3.7m Porth Eirias watersports development in Colwyn Bay.

Mr Jones described the development as "truly impressive" and said the watersports centre would be a "landmark building on the North Wales coast.

Yes if you're a fan of giant skips, motorway flyovers, old fence panels and buildings that in no way fit in with the local surroundings, then it's ideal!  I on the other hand think it's truly hideous!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:24 pm »
i quite agree. i think the local schools could do better  in drawing a plan of how they want the victoria pier to look like, after all it it is there heritage and fore everybody to enjoy.                                                                         is there any feed back on the lottery aplication yet for the pier yet   romanjohn
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:59:43 pm by Ian »

Offline dwsi

« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2012, 12:37:16 pm »
How long will it take for a bad storm to rip those panels off?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2012, 04:43:15 pm »
Watersports Centre about an hour after High Tide today. Lucky there wasn't a breath of wind maybe?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Linda

The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:36 am »
 :o I was shocked to find out yesterday that the Snack Kiosks on the Colwyn Bay Promenade were being closed quite soon(march)by the Council, taking away yet another amenity and putting the traders who run them out of business. Rhos in-particular has not been earmarked for any coastal erosion work for poss 2 years, as the man from one of the kiosks there informed me.
These little Kiosks are what have kept the prom popular whilst all the disruption of the Waterfront development has been going on. A place where folk could stop for a cuppa etc.  Young, and not so young and disabled folk didn't have to walk far from their cars if they couldn't. Parking has been easy and free. FREE! now that's a word we don't hear a lot.
The Kiosk Traders have been given a rough deal, some were promised, as i have been led to believe a first refusal on the new development. Actually you can read an article in the North Wales Weekly to confirm. Apparently that's not going to happen now,looks like the council have done yet another u turn.
I, for one have always been able to take my mother down there for coffee and a chat whilst looking at the sea and beach and I'm sure so many other folk will feel the same. Locals , visitors and a lot of tradespeople use this amenity.
Can you imagine the congestion of traffic and parking near this new Waterfront to get to the cafe there, as it could be the same at Rhos
where folk will try to park to visit a cafe there. Sadly that could be an accident waiting to happen in an already heavily congested area. Or people just wont stay around the area. How can the council let the Pier stand in such bad repair, looking dreadful and yet close the little kiosks down when they have been kept clean and tidy. We should support these traders by writing to our local councillors to see what can be done before its too late. I hate to sound negative, as we live a a lovely part of Wales but more and more i feel compelled to travel further a field for leisure time, walking and so on. Will other folk feel the same.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2013, 07:50:05 am »
Do you think the kiosks may eventually pose a threat to any food outlets included in the new waterfront development?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2013, 08:17:43 am »
I think you're spot on about the free parking and the kiosks, Linda. They combine to make Colwyn Bay's prom very attractive. If the new development is designed to enhance the prom facilities then what harm would it do to leave the kiosks in place? They're a pleasant and relatively unobtrusive feature of the prom.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2013, 08:35:38 am »
O'h no, that would be awful Linda. I love stopping there for a cup of tea on my way back from shopping.
I do hope this doesn't happen. Is it perhaps a temporary measure while other improvements are going on?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:57 am »
As I understand it, the only kiosks closing are the two between the Pier and the Watersports Centre, as they are being demolished for the next stage of the Prom rebuilding. The two kiosks over by Rhos are unaffected. There will be a new cafe opening in the Watersports Centre.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:34 am »
That's good news for the Rhos Kiosks.  The one nearest the pier has a 5 star food hygeine rating and the food and drink there is very good.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:52 am »
That's good news for the Rhos Kiosks.  The one nearest the pier has a 5 star food hygeine rating and the food and drink there is very good.
Agreed. Some would say its the only one worth going to.

Offline Linda

« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »
As I understand it, the only kiosks closing are the two between the Pier and the Watersports Centre, as they are being demolished for the next stage of the Prom rebuilding. The two kiosks over by Rhos are unaffected. There will be a new cafe opening in the Watersports Centre.
Hi DaveR I was told by the man running the Kiosk closest to Rhos, the he had been informed he could be closed March (next month) He seemed pretty anxious and said he was in the process of speaking with his local councillor etc. If anyone knows for fact  if those two Kiosks near the Cayley embankment are safe( As the man was told he would be for a year or two) Please let him know for as far as hes concerned he has been told different.