Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408555 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »
I thought it was all going to be finished by July, at least the sign had said that! they may not have said which year though!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2011, 08:15:29 am »
I thought it was all going to be finished by July, at least the sign had said that! they may not have said which year though!  :laugh:
It's funny you say that, the sign that had the completion date on it has now been removed....  :roll:

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2011, 09:01:34 am »
Not a happy site judged on the loud and flaming rows that were taking place  between the workers and bosses last time we walked past.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
It's funny you say that, the sign that had the completion date on it has now been removed....  :roll:

past it's sell by date  _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
How do you tell workers from bosses when they all wear high vis, coats?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »
Colwyn Watersports Centre Development | Welsh Icons News http://bit.ly/pA0VqB

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
How do you tell workers from bosses when they all wear high vis, coats?

It's easy, the cleaner & brighter the hi-vis the higher up the chain of command! ;D
Valar Morghulis

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:07 pm »
There is a good computer generated picture of the completed waterfront in the Pioneer. Answers some of the queries, including my own.  On a lighter tone, I expect many of you will know that the prom was closed for three of four days around a month or so ago to enable some work to be done.  At that time many anxious travellers were asking "How long is it going to be shut?" The frivilious answer around the local pubs was "A long time. You know that lump that sticking out to sea. Well, the top man had the plans upside down, and it should have all gone under the railway."

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »
That wouldn't surprise me - the Nat West Tower was supposed to be an underground car park!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:59 pm »
Going back to Daves understandable worries as to whether the whole thing is up to the battering it will certainly get. I notice already that there is quite a build up of sand in the corner facing the pier. Bear in mind that this section of the construction has only been in place around four or five weeks. I know that a model of tide movements can be created, I saw one once a long time ago (probably on TV) and a paddle simulates waves at around ten a second or so.  They then tip in a bag of sand and see what happens. Look at it in a week or so and, in theory, they will what the actual thing will be like in a couple of years. Maybe this will help the defences.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2011, 07:09:27 pm »
Latest photos:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:58 am »
Computer generated mock-up of how the new Watersports Centre will look:

[smg id=2575]
(Click image to view full size)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »
I must be a frustrated potential boss of McAlpines or something, I am fasinated by civil engineering projects and spend hours looking at them and trying to figure out what is going on. So, a computer generated picture of what its all going to be like----thats like showing a kid the Xmas parcels the day before. Anyway, I'm going to bore you now, so change threads.
   A few messages back I replied to Dave that there were hundreds/thousands of tons of rocks scattered around the beach in random piles. After watching this evening what was going on, perhaps they WERE random. There has'ent been much activity on the beach during the summer, but its all sprung to life now. Working near enough into darkness. Rocks being picked up, put on dump trucks and moved back up onto where the prom once was and dropped.
  I can only guess 1/ They were placed on the beach as a storage area because it would be difficult if they were delivered at this stage of development or 2/ perhaps they were 10p a ton cheaper buying in a job lot in March 3/ miscalculation as to how many tons were needed at the early stages. Of course, now many of them are covered in green from the tides---I dont suppose for a minute this matters but it looks as if the rocks on the top of the pile are unmarked.
  And, to me if noone else, this is a mystery. A 360 degree digger of which there are several and years ago came in at a price with operator of £100 an hour. Digging what looked to me from a distance as a wide trench on the beach. Taking at least an hour. Well below high tide mark. Its 9.30 now. If you get down there quick you will see it. Another hour and it will be under the waves. Wont be much of it left tomorrow even with a calm sea.  The last thing the digger operator did was lower a large "metal" ? object probably 10 foot square into the end of the trench. 5 mins later pulled it out and carried it off. Come on Yorkie, if you are the only one reading this, whats that about? Taking samples?   Easier to go and ask them, I suppose---but then again I am only an idle spectator glued to the windows that they often put in at projects in city centres

Offline Dave

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »
Why didn't they use the demolished pier to reinforce the concrete ?
2 for the price of 1 then.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »
Latest photo: