Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408797 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #855 on: April 26, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »
I overheard one of the young surfer-dude chaps (who seem to double up as Porth Eirias receptionists) telling some visitors to Porth Eirias that the pier wasn't "sustainable" (yes, he used that word), would cost "£15 million" to renovate - and that Porth Eirias only cost around "£1 million", and had been nominated for urban design and RICS Wales awards.

All either misleading or flatly false. Not that I blame him - he's presumably just regurgitating what he's been told. The boast about the award nominations annoys me slightly. As I've mentioned in previous posts, it appears that the council nominated the whole waterfront project (including sea defences, restored beach, etc) under the title "Porth Eirias", thus conflating the skip with the whole project. And, in any case, if I nominated myself as best-looking person in the room, nobody would take me seriously, so I'm not sure why anyone should take the council's nominations of its own projects seriously.  ;)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #856 on: May 01, 2014, 01:40:54 pm »
Here is the latest announcement on the bistro. We'll see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-27223066

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #857 on: May 01, 2014, 01:54:59 pm »
Here is the latest announcement on the bistro. We'll see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-27223066
I just feel as though its completely the wrong business for that location. Surely a coffee/ice cream shop would have been a  far better idea, together with a shop selling buckets/spades etc?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #858 on: May 01, 2014, 05:01:37 pm »
Where does his"title"of "celebrity chef" come from.  I've never heard of him until this debacle with the skip.  The only thing he seems famous for is the delays in getting something moving on the installation and opening of his sandwich shop!

I agree with DaveR, an ice cream shop with all the usual seaside paraphernalia would be a better option.

Time will tell!   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #859 on: May 01, 2014, 11:15:20 pm »
At the last count, there were over 31 million 'celebrity chefs' in the UK.

In fact, they now make up the majority of the British population.

I came to that conclusion by switching on my TV,   any channel you care to try.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #860 on: May 02, 2014, 11:43:12 am »
Where does his"title"of "celebrity chef" come from.  I've never heard of him until this debacle with the skip.  The only thing he seems famous for is the delays in getting something moving on the installation and opening of his sandwich shop!

He was once a winner on Great British Menu and got to cook for the Queen!  But I think a lot of his TV work has been on S4C and a lot has been in Welsh so he's probably more of a celebrity in areas that have Welsh speakers.  He is however one of my niece's all-time heros (even though she's not a Welsh speaker) and it would probably be the greatest moment of her life if she could get a job at his gaff.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline systema

« Reply #861 on: May 02, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Williams

From the many times I have seen him on TV he seems to be a very talented chef and he also pushes "Welsh produce" at every opportunity and I hope to be able to eat there when it is up and running - if he does Veggie food (2 more here).
He was on BBC 1 Spring Kitchen programme earlier in the week  --  BBC iPlayer - Spring Kitchen with Tom Kerridge: Episode 7

Offline BMD

« Reply #862 on: June 14, 2014, 11:22:26 am »
I finally got around to drafting a FoI request to the council. I haven't sent it yet - just wanted to get your feedback on the wording, and whether there's anything I should add (although I don't want to put too much in it).

I request the following information regarding Porth Eirias watersports facility:

1. Summary of total expenditure to date, including:

a) Building costs, architects' fees, etc: all contracts relating to construction and fitting of the building.
b) All expenditure to date on running and maintaining the building, all daily utilities, cleaning and security costs, reception employees, etc.
c) All expenditure to date regarding the community interest company, Colwyn Bay Watersports, and the planned Bryn Williams bistro.
d) All expenditure on special projects, promotions, advertising, submissions for awards, etc, regarding the Porth Eirias building and the facilities it provides.

2. Summary of total income received, including:

a) Rent or hire of facilities at Porth Eirias.
b) Grants or awards specifically for the watersports building and its facilities (but not for wider sea defence work, etc).

3. Summary of any future-projected expenditure and income, as above.

(Please note: the request applies to the Porth Eirias watersports building and the landscaping/fittings in its immediate vicinity, but NOT to the wider work involved in sea defences, restructured beach, etc.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #863 on: June 14, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
Your letter seems to be well drafted and succinct.  However they may opt not to give some answers on the basis of the information being sensitive, or privileged.   
If you haven't read it, may I suggest you read the Act itself as this lists the exceptions.

I have used the Act on a number of occasions and can only say that CCBC have always been most helpful.   

Send it by recorded delivery and watch the 20 day deadline, with a reminder to them if things seem to be dragging.

££$
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #864 on: June 14, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »
Thanks for that, Yorkie. What do you think of using the online facility, which automatically publishes replies? There's an interesting one here from Tom Davidson (the Weekly News reporter, I think):

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ratesrent_paid_by_bryn_williams#comment-47393

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #865 on: June 14, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »
A good indication of their ability to avoid providing some information.

I personally prefer sending a letter, but the open forum is probably just as good, except you disclose your own details for fanatics to challenge you.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

« Reply #866 on: June 30, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
Its now later in the year and all the "papers" are signed, any news of the new restaurant or is this not the year refered to?? How long before CCBC get their new canteen?  ZXZ

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #867 on: July 01, 2014, 08:07:50 pm »
   I had always thought that sand was sand. Full stop. But I am having a rethink after watching the waterfront redevelopment. I think there must be different grades or different granular weights or something.
   Since this started last year I have been intrigued by the apparent meaningless action of pushing one Hugh mound of sand one way. Then shifting it back again. Then putting it in a pile on one spot. Then spreading it out. Or even pushing it out to sea at low water, presumably never to be seen again apart from by the fish.
  Anyway, right up to date. Whilst the tide is low I.e. Around 5 pm every day, a 360 degree Jcb sets to work loading a large dump truck. With sand from the old colwyn side of the pier. This dump truck then sets off on a long journey, all the way to the east end of the Cayley embankment, and then spills this sand somewhere around the low water mark.
  This goes on for a fair time. At least fifteen journeys before they presumably pack up for the night.
   Now I know there is a lot of surplus sand at the old colwyn end stopping the tide coming in whilst the building work is going on. And it obviously has to be moved. But my puzzle is, why not just take it to the waters edge and let the tide shift it?
   There must be a very good reason for this. Years ago a 360 degree Jcb came in at £100 an hour inc the operator. the dump truck must be somewhere near the same. So this operation is costing a fair wack

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #868 on: July 02, 2014, 08:57:25 pm »
 No response, not even Fester. However I will persist with addiction to construction jobs.
  Forget all about yesterday's post, the mysterious (to me) of sand a quarter of a mile. But the same area.
  I learnt from this forum about three years ago that apparently there is a type of small stream that starts it's life around The old Pwllychrocan hotel, now part of Rydal school. Heads towards the sea via the old Penrhos college and on to the beach. I recall that DaveR of all people hinted here, on this forum, that it was not unknown for Rydal schoolboys to enter some type of tunnel in the hope of gaining instant access to Penrhos schoolgirls. But that is a different matter.
  Now to the beach. Part of the present work involved laying a concrete bed from the streams exit to low water mark.on top of this bed very substantial precast concrete tunnel. And then, surrounding bed and tunnel with a concrete skin. So now, no more wet beaches, excellent.
  Then sand was slowly bulldozed from the toad hall area to this pipe, very gradually and with much pushing and shoving of sand, by now on both sides, to start to cover this concrete surrounded pipe.
Excellent again, the first 40 yards of so now covered.
  But now, today, two diggers have worked hard and made a sloping Chanel on both sides of this pipe. Just as if it needed some type of protection every year or so, like paint on a wooden structure. Again this has been costly. First build up the sand, then drag it away.
  Any budding civil engineers any ideas about this? I am completely baffled. Yorkie is a hoist and lower crane man in his time. What are your ideas?.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
it was not unknown for Rydal schoolboys to enter some type of tunnel in the hope of gaining instant access to Penrhos schoolgirls

_))* _))* _))*

I'm sure it wasn't :-)))))))))

Mike: the master of euphemism :-))))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.