Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414708 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #780 on: November 09, 2013, 08:00:03 am »
Sounds like that could have been done from a large shed, not a building that cost several million pounds.  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #781 on: November 11, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Sounds like that could have been done from a large shed, not a building that cost several million pounds.  &shake&

Yes, that's my take on it also. The storage under the ramp for canoes, etc, and the changing rooms - great for watersports. Unfortunately it seems their thinking has stopped at watersports (& bistro). Given the size of the building and the amount of space in it, you could have a lot of other interesting uses and attractions going on (with the added benefit of creating local jobs). It could house little shops and stalls, seaside grottos, mermaids, interesting art galleries, whatever. Not sterile conference rooms and pointless "display space".

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #782 on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:43 am »
Drove past there late yesterday morning from the Rhos end. Looking at the general effect of the ramp at that side as seen from the road, it was more like an overgrown field. Hope it looks better close to !

The new beach, from the car, looked lovely, albeit quiet.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #783 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
Just wondering why the 2nd phase of work down on the prom at Colwyn bay isnt going to start until after January. If they had been working on it now they could have been finished for the start of the season maybe  Easter. Instead looks like the beach areas and roads will be compromised again until summer ( If we are very Lucky) dont hold your breath folks, we seen it all before  :-X. It doesnt really matter if someone gets to grip over the pier as well. As that will be a further traffic stopper when they revamp/knock down the Pier.
The promenade serves folk well when detouring Old colwyn and Colwyn bay at peak traffice times.Always was a life saver for folk  on the way to work,myself included.

Offline Minime

« Reply #784 on: November 16, 2013, 12:10:03 am »
Drove past there late yesterday morning from the Rhos end. Looking at the general effect of the ramp at that side as seen from the road, it was more like an overgrown field. Hope it looks better close to !

The new beach, from the car, looked lovely, albeit quiet.

I thought it was an abandoned building when I first saw it.  Kids park round the back is good

Offline Dave

« Reply #785 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:13 pm »
The beach appears to be primarily used as a dog exercise area at the moment. The greenery, correction, the dead plants, give the new build a delightful look of dereliction obviously carefully chosen so it matches in nicely with the pier.

Offline Linda

« Reply #786 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:41 pm »
 I reckon they are growing the 'weeds' so they will cover the whole lot then maybe no one will notice it. Think a few cordylines and some nice slate or pebble would have looked better.  In all fairness though the beach was popular in the good weather, dont suppose we can expect people to use it now in winter for picnicing ,  although there were some watersports folk around today. Windsurfers etc.  Needs stuff going on in there ,cafe etc and something to attract folk and that pier knocking down or a cheap alternative. Colwyn bay beach is lovely and has good water quality for sports bathers etc and i think will eventually (hope i live long enough to see it) be a good place for visitors. I was travelling along the prom daily in the summer . it was jammed packed at weekends from Old Col to Rhos on sea.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #787 on: November 17, 2013, 07:47:26 am »
Needs ...that pier knocking down or a cheap alternative.

Wonder if there are cheap alternatives available? Modern building technology has come a long way since the heyday of the Victorian pier.  Maybe something could be built out of totally new materials.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #788 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:30 am »
PORTH EIRIAS CALL-OUT FOR LLANDUDNO RNLI CREW

Llandudno's RNLI inshore lifeboat was called out by Holyhead Coastguard at 1527 hrs on Saturday 16 November following reports that a dinghy had capsized off Porth Eirias, Colwyn Bay; despite another small boat apparently assisting, little progress was being made in righting the craft.

The lifeboat, taken by road to Colwyn Bay, arrived on scene a short time later as did Llandudno lifeboat station's duty launching authority. It soon became evident the two boats were not in fact in difficulty, but were being used for training purposes in connection with a powerboat course being run by the local sailing school.

As a result the RNLI crew was stood down and returned to station; the initial report has since been categorised as a false alarm raised with good intent.

Crew On Board
Luke Heritage, Tim James, James Salt and Alex Farquharson

Driver
Nigel Forrest

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #789 on: November 21, 2013, 12:57:15 pm »
After a phone enquiry to do with a booking my OH rang Porth Erias to ask when it would be possible for people to make a booking for the Bistro. After a lot of hemming and hawing he was told that work will not now start till January with a proposed opening day around Easter. Apparently 'Bryn' cannot get hold of the equipment he wants.

In the mean time it stands unused.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #790 on: November 21, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »
i bet they didn,t say which easter  :laugh: must be a shop here he could get a pan from  _))*that will be another drain of money like venue cymru.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #791 on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:27 pm »
Incredible! You could not make it up really! Must be the biggest white elephant ever built, time to put it in a skip...... &shake&

Bryn, you could try this place,

http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/    They must have some equipment for you, perhaps he's realised that it won't work at that location, perhaps the bank manager has pointed it out to him?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #792 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:15 pm »
I wonder if he is paying any rent on the place whilst he is retaining the option?   Or is it now available to anyone who wants to bid?

Probably another CCBC contract withoud any date for completion clause.   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #793 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »
After a phone enquiry to do with a booking my OH rang Porth Erias to ask when it would be possible for people to make a booking for the Bistro. After a lot of hemming and hawing he was told that work will not now start till January with a proposed opening day around Easter. Apparently 'Bryn' cannot get hold of the equipment he wants.

In the mean time it stands unused.

We attended one of Bryn’s cooking demonstrations during the Conwy Feast three weeks ago and he told everybody he will be opening in January.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #794 on: November 21, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »
Was he a frying pan short of the full kitchen?   :twoface: