Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 413960 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #765 on: September 12, 2013, 08:44:11 am »
I believe you can get word making gadgets to help with the longer words that no one has ever heard of

There are several on the internet.
This one's probably a good one:
http://www.scrabblecheat.com/

There is one problem with the cheat programs.  It is fairly obvious when someone is using one, as their vocabulary suddenly explodes to something greater than the Encyclopaedia Brittanica!  Also it takes the personal interest away from the game.

My tips for playing a good game are:

Learn all the 2 letter and 3 letter words you can.
If you cannot make a decent score with a word, play a tactical move and don't leave the Triple Score squares easily available.
Learn some of the names of gases and elements.
Learn some obscure words such as yttrium and others that use a multi consonant form.
Always try to combine your word with another already down so you score both words, or sometimes even more.
Try to use high scoring letters on the triple letter square, 3 x 8 is obviously better than 3 x 1, and the square can only be used once!
Finally, play regularly with different people.

Most of all enjoy it!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Minime

« Reply #766 on: September 15, 2013, 12:24:15 am »
Having pootled down the prom last weekend coming towards Porth Eirias heading west we didn't quite know what it was and I thought it was something closed down and commented on the overgrown looking plants on the roof!

Offline Dave

« Reply #767 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
Driving along the Colwyn Bay prom today I was interested to see how things were looking after the high winds. Judging by the seaweed deposits the sea must have been almost level with the prom around the area in front of the toilets near the pier. With a higher tide is the road going to flood ?

Offline BMD

« Reply #768 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
Couple of Porth Eirias news items - an ITV report from a few days ago, and a Daily Post piece about it being used recently for a band practice:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/topic/porth-eirias/
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music/video-magic-numbers-perform-impromptu-5922716

Someone told me that celebrity chefs' restaurants are a big attraction, and bring in people from a wide area - in which case this might be a good idea by the council (if they can make it work - no doubt with a large subsidy of public money to get it up and running). I don't have my finger on the pulse as far as celebrity chefs go - how famous is this one? (Bryn Williams - I confess I hadn't heard of him).

Offline Minime

« Reply #769 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:57 pm »
Ive got aiden byrnes gaffe nearby, does very well always seems busy.  Few local grumblings about poor service, not food.  He also gets very involved in local events so hasn't just slapped his name on somewhere he never is.
It was an ok pub before nothing special.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #770 on: November 07, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #771 on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »
The new waterfront development looks very much like the current waterfront but with a few new floor tiles.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #772 on: November 08, 2013, 08:13:39 am »
I think there is an awful lot of artistic licence used in those images.  Whoever did them must be on a different Planet!     ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #773 on: November 08, 2013, 08:31:05 am »
Most of what they're planning can only be seen from the aerial impression. It appears the design should help dissipate the force of any Northerly storms, and because the entire promenade is going to be raised, it should also act as a barrier to incoming storm surges which could, if something's not done, undermine the railway embankment. Most of the artistic licence is in the trees on the embankment. I'm assuming they intend to plant a lot of these, since their root systems might help consolidate the banking.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
What I'd like to see is a few more facilities included in the design that will create jobs for local people. No point in attracting thousands of people to a new beach if they have nowhere to spend their money with local businesses.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #775 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:11 pm »
I drove past Porth Eirias yesterday, and I have to confess, I don't know what it is actually meant to be.

A genuine question, what is it's purpose?

You see, when the idea was first put forward, I had visions of being able to hire a Jet-Ski, or a Pedalo, or perhaps a canoe from the centre.  Or perhaps that surfing or wind-surfing might be available and co-ordinated from there.

It seems not.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #776 on: November 08, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
Seems pointless to me! Last week we went in, got drinks from the machine, sat down and looked around, wondering what was it all about? Why was there a girl behind the desk? All seems pointless, it is just a folly built just to waste money! Oh still no sign of the cafe / bistro being started!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #777 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:45 pm »
Seems pointless to me! Last week we went in, got drinks from the machine, sat down and looked around, wondering what was it all about? Why was there a girl behind the desk? All seems pointless, it is just a folly built just to waste money! Oh still no sign of the cafe / bistro being started!

So it's not just me being thick then? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #778 on: November 08, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
I can only assume that somehow the money was available and they wondered what the hell to spend it on! So we ended up with the folly that is the Skip by the Sea!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline penpal

« Reply #779 on: November 09, 2013, 07:14:51 am »
Re hiring canoes etc. In September we went past and there was a flag and board advertising hire.One guy hired a small dingy and had 30 mins on the water. I think in season they will be hiring kayaks,windsurfers etc. Re surfing, I have seen a guy out on the water a few times near the new beach along with some at Rhos point, Even saw a photographer with a big lens taking shots of the surfers.