Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 417216 times)

Offline stewbow

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2013, 07:16:24 pm »
I've just heard of a possible application to open the place as a Night Club.

I personally think that the idea would get lots of support, the centre desk would make a perfect DJ Booth, no residents close by to annoy with noise!!

Since the closure of The Boulevard, evening revelers have been crying out for a new "open till 3am" venue.

This would provide local employment and taxable income to aid the government.

I'd have thought that an under 65 age freshhold would be in place, and defiantly no bingo, whist or sequence dancing &shake&

I look forward to developments

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #691 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
Bridge?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2013, 07:45:27 pm »
Chess?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #693 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
Draughts?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #694 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
Tiddlywinks?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #695 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

I'd have thought that an under 65 age freshhold would be in place, and defiantly no bingo, whist or sequence dancing &shake&

Oh Yeh?     You just try and keep us older youngsters out -  ageism at its worst!     :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #696 on: August 30, 2013, 09:16:02 pm »
I dont know about a night club when they have a kids play area ,imagine the possible mess i.e. folk vomiting and possible recreational drug waste. If they allow a club  the the council need to move the play area.
Also no one has been down there to repair those lethal metal borders, they have been like that for weeks, I hope the Council has plenty of cash to pay out if anyone has a serious accident.
On the other hand although im not at 65 i would gladly gatecrash with Yorkie and anyone else willing to try the dancefloor  <:<:<:< +}}{--

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #697 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:26 pm »
it.s a case of " the skip is a great success so it was my idea",or" the skip is a disaster so it was the forum members who thought it up".

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2013, 12:18:31 am »
It would be interesting to know exactly who was responsible for turning a good design into the Skip by the Sea!

I was thinking of having a 'naming and shaming' section in here, although we'd have to be 100% certain who had done what before doing anything like it. It's not the only thing, either; I would like to know exactly whose responsibility it had been to ensure the licence for the landing stage work was up-to-date.  Because of that fiasco, people's holidays were effectively spoilt, and some might well have booked accommodation specifically to visit the Waverley.

In the case of  Porth Eirias I'm pretty certain that it will turn out to have been a committee. But this, in fact, is precisely how local government protects itself. An individual will ensure that the minutes will reflect 'a consensus', so no one person can then be found accountable. Now, I accept this goes on in business as well, but the fact is that eventually the business has to make money, so the accountability arrives in the form of the accountants.

The Pier, however, is a different matter. There will have been someone - an individual - whose responsibility it will have been to ensure the permit was valid and they need to be identified. The only alternative is that CCBC are so utterly clueless that they weren't even aware that the need existed. Even so, whichever individual in CCBC was the de facto project manager for the pier ought to be identified. I'm not asking for the stocks or public flogging but the only recourse the tax payer has to rectify these situations is through the ballot box, and even then the council officers have made self-protection into an art form.

Here's an interesting question: did the council officers produce a project plan for the pier and, crucially, did they list the criteria for failure? I'm betting the answer to both questions is 'no'.  In which case, perhaps a letter to the CE should be considered. Perhaps it's time officers in local government face competency hearings.

Not the most appropriate place to post this, but it follows naturally from Ian's post.  (Feel free to move it, Mods)

Today, I was visited by a large group of regular customers.  They were 18 strong in total, from two church groups.
They were here for one week, to stay in 2 hotels, and the highlight of their visit was a trip on The Waverley next Tuesday.
The excitement they felt was palpable.
Then, I dropped the bombshell that the the Waverley sailing was cancelled.  They had no idea, no refund, no communication... nothing.  These good people were visibly upset, shaken and disappointed.

Not only has the renovation been mismanaged, but so has the process of selling/refunding tickets.

It has been BLATANTLY OBVIOUS for a long time that this event would not come to pass, it was entirely CYNICAL to allow good people to continue to look forward to it and make plans as if it would go ahead.   A disgrace and a fiasco.  &shake& &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline viv

« Reply #699 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »
Wow -the Night club idea is brilliant! All they would have to do is gate the two sides on the prom level and also access to the upper deck and re-open them in the mornings -otherwise revellers would be trying to balance along the sea walls!!

Offline viv

« Reply #700 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:50 pm »

I personally think that the idea would get lots of support, the centre desk would make a perfect DJ Booth, no residents close by to annoy with noise!!

Since the closure of The Boulevard, evening revelers have been crying out for a new "open till 3am" venue.

This would provide local employment and taxable income to aid the government.

I look forward to developments

I think that's a brilliant idea and just what is needed here for the younger ones! They could gate off the sea sides not just to keep them off the play area, but also stop them trying to walk along the sea walls! They would probably also have to gate off the accesses to the upper deck -then all would be fine! There is nowhere for 18+ people to go that is lively and entertaining  - a nice wine bar etc with music would be great.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #701 on: September 01, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people enjoying themselves, but any nightclub in another area would take the strain from the areas near Upper Mostyn Street.
Since the closure of the two clubs at the Craig-y-Don end the night noise and parking of cars with 50 doors ( you know just what I mean) has increased dramatically at the other end of town. A friend is looking so ragged from lack of sleep I feel sorry for her.
Most nights it settles down after about 2.15am-- by then I am downstairs with a cup of coffee and a game of Scrabble.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #702 on: September 01, 2013, 11:07:16 pm »
Nem, you should play me at online Scrabble... 'Words with Friends' it is called,  a free app for your phone.

I love it, and I am looking for more opponents, (or any opponents for that matter)  :roll:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #703 on: September 02, 2013, 08:50:25 am »
Thanks for the offer Fest., but my phone is from the dark ages ! I have an ancient Nintendo which I play Scrabble on with a virtual opponant called Clovis !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:35 am »
Nem, you should play me at online Scrabble... 'Words with Friends' it is called,  a free app for your phone.

I love it, and I am looking for more opponents, (or any opponents for that matter)  :roll:

I got that app hoping there would be a one player mode, being a Billy-no-mates, but the first thing it wanted me to do was login via Facebook, a site I have no interest in. I found an option to start with just an e-mail but once logged in there was still no one player mode (I guess the clue was in the title. lol) so I've never played it. Is it any good?
Valar Morghulis