Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414136 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #675 on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:01 pm »
I've seen the watersports folk hurriedly dragging canoes & other large items around the front (bumping into to playground apparatus on one occasion) - to get to the beach side. Not difficult to see collisions with the glass section.

And I can easily see mobility scooters doing it. I don't think the original plans for various "zones" take account of the fact that people just go where they please - shortest/fastest route possible.  :laugh:

Offline BMD

« Reply #676 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
That said, I wouldn't want to see the other extreme of too much caution (barriers/fences & 'no entry' signs).

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #677 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:37 pm »
I was having nose around Porth Eirias today, I see vandals have smashed one of the windows in the 'cafe' area already and it is boarded up.  &shake&

Hello. I understand a delivery vehicle allegedly caused the damage not vandals.
Thing is, it's in an area where no vehicles can access? It's on the seaward walkway side, not the access road side.

My first thought was also that it had been vandalised but when I asked what had happened was told a delivery vehicle had reversed into the building. I have only visited Porth Eirias the once so cannot quite remember the external layout but looking at the photos above it would appear it is wide enough for a vehicle to drive (unofficially?) down the ‘café’ side. I don’t know if there are any physical obstacles such as bollards preventing access though.

Offline BMD

« Reply #678 on: August 27, 2013, 08:58:07 pm »
The sensible response from the council to the Carbuncle Cup business would be to acknowledge that many people (not just "grumpy" locals) think Porth Eirias is an eyesore. If that was admitted, maybe something positive could be done about it.

Eg: one advantage of large, plain, windowless areas (eg the zinc-clad skip section) is that they're like a blank canvas suitable for large-scale artwork (eg murals) and also as a backdrop for sculptures and other improvements.

A few ideas I knocked up - tongue-in-cheek - this morning. The giant-woman sculpture is from Alster Lake, Germany...

The advantage to the council of commissioning a sculpture of a giant reclining woman is that the building would become known as "The Tub" - an improvement (from their persepctive) on "The Skip".  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #679 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:47 pm »
The woman in hot tub idea is fantastic, BMD!  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #680 on: August 27, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »
The lady in the tub looks great! Like the seagulls too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #681 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:35 pm »
Agree, the woman in the hot tub is brilliant! Not sure about the knobbly knees though.

Offline BMD

« Reply #682 on: August 28, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »
Here's the original at Alster Lake in Hamburg. It's actually known as the "giant mermaid", although she's got prominent knees for a mermaid!

Offline BMD

« Reply #683 on: August 29, 2013, 11:41:36 pm »
The University College London building has been awarded the Carbuncle Cup winner for 2013.
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/carbuncle-cup-winner-2013-a-triumph-for-the-dark-side/5059745.article

The judges said that "all six nominations richly deserved their shortlisting", and on Porth Eirias, they have this to say:

"It might be surmised [...] that waterfront locations are particularly susceptible to outbursts of the carbuncular, and in the Porth Eirias Watersports Centre at Colwyn Bay in Wales we are presented with yet another instance. Porth Eirias is a particularly unfortunate case as the original competition-winning scheme by K2 Architects had much to recommend it. The built design still houses the programme beneath a public terrace accessed by a ramp, but there the similarities end.

"The curvaceous plan has been rendered clunky while sea-oriented glazing has given way to zinc, and stonework to a curious variety of clapboard that last enjoyed popularity during the settlement of the American frontier. What was to have been a seamless transition from esplanade to roof is now a slalom of DDA-compliant ramps."

Quite. And these are people who know what they're talking about - not cantankerous local codgers like myself.  ;)
I hope the council and the people who gave it planning permission take note.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #684 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:30 am »
What a terrible indictment, not to mention a waste of money which will never be available again.
What an embarrassing monument to mismanagement.
All concerned ought to be ashamed of themselves.    &shake& &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #685 on: August 30, 2013, 06:47:12 am »
I'm amazed it didn't win! How bad must the winner be?  It would be interesting to know exactly who was responsible for turning a good design into the Skip by the Sea!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #686 on: August 30, 2013, 08:19:51 am »
It would be interesting to know exactly who was responsible for turning a good design into the Skip by the Sea!

I was thinking of having a 'naming and shaming' section in here, although we'd have to be 100% certain who had done what before doing anything like it. It's not the only thing, either; I would like to know exactly whose responsibility it had been to ensure the licence for the landing stage work was up-to-date.  Because of that fiasco, people's holidays were effectively spoilt, and some might well have booked accommodation specifically to visit the Waverley.

In the case of  Porth Eirias I'm pretty certain that it will turn out to have been a committee. But this, in fact, is precisely how local government protects itself. An individual will ensure that the minutes will reflect 'a consensus', so no one person can then be found accountable. Now, I accept this goes on in business as well, but the fact is that eventually the business has to make money, so the accountability arrives in the form of the accountants.

The Pier, however, is a different matter. There will have been someone - an individual - whose responsibility it will have been to ensure the permit was valid and they need to be identified. The only alternative is that CCBC are so utterly clueless that they weren't even aware that the need existed. Even so, whichever individual in CCBC was the de facto project manager for the pier ought to be identified. I'm not asking for the stocks or public flogging but the only recourse the tax payer has to rectify these situations is through the ballot box, and even then the council officers have made self-protection into an art form.

Here's an interesting question: did the council officers produce a project plan for the pier and, crucially, did they list the criteria for failure? I'm betting the answer to both questions is 'no'.  In which case, perhaps a letter to the CE should be considered. Perhaps it's time officers in local government face competency hearings.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #687 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:29 am »
Via Daily Post: Porth Eirias - Still empty 100 days after opening party:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/porth-eirias-still-empty-100-5814746

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #688 on: August 30, 2013, 09:16:52 am »
“The Council has agreed to lease the watersports activities to Colwyn Bay Watersports, and negotiations are underway with the preferred operator for the bistro/café facility."

However long do these negotiations go on for? To have missed this great summer is unforgivable!

I get the feeling that they had some money, wondered what to spend it on so built The Skip, now they are wondering what on earth to do with it?  Was a need for this building identified in the first place? Was there a business plan in place for it? What compels water sports users to use it? Will they pay to use it?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #689 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:23 am »

The Pier, however, is a different matter. There will have been someone - an individual - whose responsibility it will have been to ensure the permit was valid and they need to be identified.

Here's an interesting question: did the council officers produce a project plan for the pier and, crucially, did they list the criteria for failure? I'm betting the answer to both questions is 'no'.  In which case, perhaps a letter to the CE should be considered. Perhaps it's time officers in local government face competency hearings.

The ultimate responsibility must rest with Iwan Davies, the CEO, who should do the honourable thing and fall on his Sword!

This is not the only instance that things have failed to be done, and in some cases where he has been made aware of the problem etc.   If you write a letter he will just pass it to the Complaints Department, who will send you a booklet advising you of yor rights, and do little else!  If you don't believe me, try it and see.

Lobbying your Town and County Councillors will not achieve any better result.    :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero