Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408736 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 08:30:37 pm »
CCBC are advertising the availability of the new Watersports Centre currently under construction on the Promenade for letting in Summer 2012. Both local and national businesses are encouraged to apply:

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=143&doc=28747&Language=1

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 09:05:57 pm »
Talk about getting a move on. They dont allow much time for anyone to think about it---when is June 10th? Pity Councils can never respond like that.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »
Maybe a crazy golf course would go nicely there, eh, Mike?  ;)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2011, 11:15:24 pm »
I've only got about 24 hours to register my interest.  I have to be honest and say that nowadays it takes that long for me to get an interest in a redheaded mini dressed female.  (only telling lies)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:54 am »
CCBC have released a video showing how the Prom will look after the redevelopment. As can be seen, despite what Steve Hunt claims, the Pier is prominently shown in the plans:

Colwyn Bay Waterfront Project

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2011, 01:35:35 pm »
One question.
Will the 'Blank Canvas' have to be completely dug out at a later date to lay foundations, supply gas/electric & sewerage pipes etc... for the Water Sports Centre at great expense when all this could be done now as they are building the original for a fraction of the cost?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »
The Watersports Centre is scheduled to be open for Summer 2012, so I suspect construction will start once the sea defences have been completed. That's what I'm hoping anyway!  ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »
As can be seen, despite what Steve Hunt claims, the Pier is prominently shown in the plans:

That's the best I've seen it in years.  :P

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 11:07:55 pm »
Perhaps I am naive but I reckon this plan is marvellous and Conwy Council should be congratulated. So far so good

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:11 pm »
Its very impressive... there will be numerous business opportunities within and nearby.

I think it will be a great attraction, and if the Pier get restored also, then the town will see a great resurgence.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:49 am »
There are certain aspects of the promotional video which give rise to concern, I believe.  The omission of the fishtails in the first phase is almost certainly a mistake; more worryingly, it reveals the mindset behind the project is focussed on spending as little as possible.

The commentator refers several times to 'increased risk of major storms' and then the video shows damage, most of which occurred in the 1991 storm. He also states 'Global warming will lead to an increased risk of major storms hitting the Bay of Colwyn' but the jury's still out on the long term effects of climate change, the term he ought to have used, other than the certainty that increased sea levels will be involved.

My main concern is that the project doesn't get done on the cheap.  As Mike says, the plan is excellent, and we can only hope that penny pinching doesn't ruin what could be an outstanding development for Colwyn Bay.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2011, 12:45:44 am »
You make a good point there Ian.
Once the 'project' is deemed complete, if the Fishtail is not constructed at this point, it is most unlikely to get re-visited and done soon after, because the budget for that will have been re-absorbed.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:56 am »
That's my concern.  Will we - as usual - end up with a half-baked construction that will fail to do most of what they envisaged?    If you look at any major construction - the Mersey tunnels, the Humber Bridge and so on, they all exceeded the estimated cost by a sizeable margin, yet the long-term benefits they bring are incalculable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:21 pm »
Just like the A55 was built on the cheap with the mistakes made with the slip roads at Colwyn Bay & Llandudno Junction, not to mention leaving in two roundabouts at Penmaenmawr & Llanfairfechan just to save money. With their track record you can't help but worry that similar mistakes will be made for financial reasons. It's usually a false economy too as it inevitably costs more to rectify mistakes at a later date.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »
The commentator refers several times to 'increased risk of major storms' and then the video shows damage, most of which occurred in the 1991 storm.
It's a bit more recent than that, the damage seen in the video occurred on the 31st March 2010. Promenade was badly damaged but the Pier survived almost unscathed!

Aftermath - Colwyn Bay by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

That was the same storm that hit Llandudno hard, I've never seen spray going over the top of the Cable Car Station before:

High Tide! by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr