Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414033 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »
Maybe the rule should be that all expenditure on a project costing above a set amount must be approved by council taxpayers via an Internet ballot on CCBC website? Assuming we could reply on them not to fiddle the result, of course... :twoface:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »
Sounds good in theory! I remember speaking about it to two people at the Forties weekend, I told them my views on it then found out they were town councillors, both seemed genuinely convinced that the building would bring in lots of visitors. I hope it does, but I can't see it somehow!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2013, 06:55:08 pm »

The article mentions beach users wanting access to the (still unopened) toilets in Porth Eirias. My impression was that the toilets are actually tucked away behind changing rooms (in the large windowless zinc wedge) - as if they were intended primarily for the watersports people, not for easy access by loads of beach-users & their kids.

The toilets are tucked away behind the changing rooms and you do have to go out of your way to find them, however there are free public toilets readily accessible just across the promenade. So you have to ask why does Colwyn Bay prom have two sets of free conveniences for visitors to use and we in Llandudno only have the ones at the Paddling Pool a mile and a half from where they are needed?  ???
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2013, 06:30:50 am »

The toilets are tucked away behind the changing rooms and you do have to go out of your way to find them, however there are free public toilets readily accessible just across the promenade. So you have to ask why does Colwyn Bay prom have two sets of free conveniences for visitors to use and we in Llandudno only have the ones at the Paddling Pool a mile and a half from where they are needed?  ???

It's much worse for us older ones - by the time we have walked from the Cenotaph to the paddling pool, we've forgotten what we went for!    ???
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #544 on: June 18, 2013, 08:33:17 am »
Or worse !! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #545 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:20 am »
Interesting comment from the architect's Twitter account. Said, in jest, obviously - but, still, "evil base"? Perhaps such architecture is more suited to an out-of-town business park than to a Victorian seaside resort?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #546 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:00 am »
Hard to believe that all those years of training to become an architect could result in such a disappointing building! But I assume that's what the council wanted, makes no sense at all! Is there anyone with anything good to say about it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #547 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:52 am »
Kevin Horton BA (HONS) DIP.ARCH RIBA,
Finance & Operations Director

Kevin began working in architectural practice in 1989, rising to the position of senior project architect for a large international firm where he was responsible for developing and delivering projects from £25-£85m in value. Kevin’s experience has given him a sophisticated understanding of building design exemplified in his leadership of the pratices flagship project, the Colwyn Bay Watersports Centre. Kevin also chairs the Liverpool City Chamber of Commerce council, advising on construction and development.

Flagship project!  _))*

http://www.k2architects.co.uk/profile_directors.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:38 am »
The posts following have been moved to What's Llandudno Like right Now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #549 on: June 25, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »
Porth Eirias has now been officially nominated for the 2013 Carbuncle Cup at Building Design magazine. Their page even has a link to this forum discussion: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/carbuncle-cup/carbuncle-cup-nomination-%E2%80%94-porth-eirias-watersports-centre-colwyn-bay-wales-by-k2-architects/5056764.article

The page is currently showing as "registered users only" (this may change?). Anyway, it's quick & free to register if you want to view it. Meanwhile, here's a screen-grab:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #550 on: June 25, 2013, 06:51:26 pm »
Not that easy to register, none of the job titles match me! (Retired early)

Offline BMD

« Reply #551 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »
Not that easy to register, none of the job titles match me! (Retired early)

I just put anything for those - assumed they don't matter. Main thing, I think, is to enter a valid email address, so you get a confirmation letting you know when you can look at the page (which was fairly instantaneous). You can also post comments underneath the main article when you've registered. 

Offline BMD

« Reply #552 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »
There's also a reference to the name "Skip-by-the sea" having caught on among locals (which it has indeed) - and if I remember rightly, you may have coined that phrase.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »
There's also a reference to the name "Skip-by-the sea" having caught on among locals (which it has indeed) - and if I remember rightly, you may have coined that phrase.
Fame at last, Merddin!  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #554 on: June 25, 2013, 09:16:04 pm »
Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me!  :laugh: yes it was me who first called it the 'Skip by the Sea'  :D