Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 415591 times)

Offline Linda

Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #495 on: June 07, 2013, 10:08:31 pm »
Sounds good if the money could be found and enough customers to keep them going. I wonder if they have found anyone for the new waterfront cafe. Its taking so long, as i heard ages ago there was suppose to be a lot of interest.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: June 09, 2013, 12:38:01 pm »
The problem is the lack of initiative at CCBC. They'll say that they haven't the money to build a new cafe. That's ok, so let the private sector build and run the cafe, in return for a significant rent free period that reflects the construction cost. Try and do that...not a chance, they'd rather do nothing that let someone else 'show them up' by doing the job quickly and efficiently.  &shake&

The former cafe at Rhos Point is another classic example. It needs structural repairs and no money is apparently in the council pot to do it. So...shall we let the private sector rebuild it and run it at zero cost to the taxpayer, or shall we leave it a derelict eyesore for a few more years? I'm told over 20 different people have expressed an interest in reopening it..how many jobs are being missed out on, business rates, taxes by leaving it closed?  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #497 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »
Been on that way this morning-- Peter and Carole at the Coffee Pot were packed-- the two kiosks nearest Porth Erias derelict---but--- some enterprising person has pulled up with a snack caravan next to the pier ! No doubt they will probably be shifted, but full marks for effort--they were doing good trade too.

The new beach was busy. but the area along the Cayley Prom was quieter than usual. Tide was up, but plenty of sand near the pier. Porth Erias itself didn't look to be open--no open doors or lights inside.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #498 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:03 pm »
There was a guy in a large Citroen van doing snacks in the area and according to a friend who had a drink there he was very good.  I'm sure that there was an article on TV about him some months ago.   

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #499 on: June 09, 2013, 05:14:59 pm »
There have been a few (probably unlicenced) snack and ice cream vans about during this sunny spell.   Just hope they are clean enogh to pass the hygeine regs should they need to!    Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »
There was a guy in a large Citroen van doing snacks in the area and according to a friend who had a drink there he was very good.  I'm sure that there was an article on TV about him some months ago.
You're thinking of Providero? According to Twitter, CCBC don't want him operating as he might provide competition with his high quality coffee and cakes (which is, of course, a terrible thing) to their own concessions like Porth Eirias, yep, the ones that aren't even open yet and show no signs of opening. Providero is fully licenced by CCBC, by the way.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2013, 07:36:15 pm »
I am aware of Providero, but I was referring to others who just suddenly appeared as the weather changed.  One in particular was using a couple of places often frequented by Providero.  One was even serving very close to The Skip!   ZXZ

No one seems to have any authority to move them on, or check licences.  If there are such people they are conspicuous by their absence.   ;)

I understand from all reports that Providro are also dab hands at Weddings!    Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline viv

« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2013, 09:35:24 pm »
The man from the one by the pier is the man with the big white food van on the other side of the pier, and he is licensed. The family that ran the next one towards Eirias have been running the little cafe near the bowling green while the Council sorted out the lease on that kiosk ( the wheels turn very slowly!). In a couple of weeks they will be also running the kiosk on a lease that will take them through the holiday season. I did spot an ice cream van in that general location today, much to everyone's relief I think!!

There will eventually be new kiosks, probably with a toilet, but as you are aware, the funding comes in stages so other sections of the prom will be playing catch-up for a couple of years.

It is so amazing to see so many people on the beach enjoying themselves again - but the sand can't do it on its own - the weather is the main thing, and no-one can control that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2013, 10:33:49 pm »
That's the person I was thinking of Dave,      $thanx$

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1t38f0ERNg‎

Offline Linda

« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2013, 12:16:18 am »
Viv, that beach area has been trashed again . Walked with my sis along there tonight. Never seen so much rubbish anywhere along the coast before, shocked glass bottles stacks of them some half buried ,cans and plastic. This is unbelievable and so dangerous for little kids. This lots been left from  partying over the weekend. Not visitors. Hope its cleared by morning. I would like to know where the litter inspectors are now.
I drove past last night and thought how great it was for the Young folk getting together on there in the nice weather. Until i saw what was on the beach tonight, did it not get cleared this morning.? CCBC had better get their act together down there and the police because theres is a lot of drinking going on with the kids. Looks great during the day when loads of people on it, but go look down there now.
Not enough waste bins either, though that's not an excuse.
Sorry if im in wrong place with this post.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:01 am »
On a very busy day yesterday, the Watersports Centre was firmly locked up and empty.

My question is...how can it still be closed when we had a Grand Opening several weeks ago? This is horrendously embarrassing for both CCBC and Councillors, a £5m building sitting empty and unfinished, a year after the initial forecast opening date.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2013, 07:22:00 am »
Strangely the councillors I have spoken to (at the Forties weekend) all seemed proud of it! Seems to be a classic case of The Emperor's new clothes! I would like to know what rents are they charging for business's who want to go in there? I suspect that is why it is empty! Any councillors care to comment?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
Just out of interest -- do the jet ski people pay to block off the car park for themselves? If not -- to my mind a little income (?) might come in towards the building. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2013, 08:28:18 am »
My question is...how can it still be closed when we had a Grand Opening several weeks ago? This is horrendously embarrassing for both CCBC and Councillors, a £5m building sitting empty and unfinished, a year after the initial forecast opening date.

Well, it has administrators, cleaners, accountants - all the things it needs to ensure its full operation and smooth running. And having the public in would only create more problems, so CCBC probably need the time to ensure it can run efficiently, without the distractions paying customers would mean.  It's rather clever, actually;  open it, but contrive to keep it looking like a building site, so most people will assume it's still not operational. They probably intend to have people using it in a year - or two, when the financial situation has eased up a bit. For now, however, it is a monument to the careful planning of CCBC councillors, a citadel for admiration by holidaymakers and a testament to the rigorous approach to development and civic duty the Council execute so admirably.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2013, 09:58:04 am »
 :laugh:  'admiration by holidaymakers' the two I spoke to last week, who had the guided tour with us, had the reaction of 'what the bloody hell is that?' when they first saw it! A small sample I admit, but probably 95 per cent typical reaction! Those of us who live here though have had to pay for it!  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas