Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414435 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #480 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:16 am »
Took our usual Sunday morning stroll along Rhos /Colwyn prom. from The Cayley towards the pier. How can anyone condone the sense in spending so much cash on the 'New skip' when the railings, prom surface and cycle track are in such a state?
Having just been to Tywyn and stopped to eat a picnic we were impressed by the state of the place, spotless, tidy prom, non-rusty railings and clean places to sit.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:21 am »
All that section of Prom is getting completely rebuilt as well, so I suppose no money is being spent on maintenance. Does look very tatty at the moment.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:22 am »
Are many water sports enthusiasts using it? I imagine most will come for the day, bring their own food etc and off again. Time will tell!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:43 pm »
Are many water sports enthusiasts using it? I imagine most will come for the day, bring their own food etc and off again. Time will tell!

I am still hoping they will do rental on things like Jet Skis.
I would pay a lot of money to have a spin for an hour or so on those.
That type of activity happens a lot in resorts abroad, and a few in the UK.
I actually believed that kind of thing is what it was designed to offer.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #484 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
Would be a good idea if insurance etc allows it. I won't be going on one though! Happy to watch you doing it!  ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #485 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
Would be a good idea if insurance etc allows it. I won't be going on one though! Happy to watch you doing it!  ;D

I nearly perished (seriously) doing that in Acapulco Bay, Mexico...
But I would do it again, and take more care!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #486 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Popped by Port Eirias again on Sunday and once again found the parking area coned and taped off for the Colwyn Bay Water Ski etc Club.  I wonder what rent, if any, they are paying back to us who have paid for it, for the privilege of using this expensive facility? 

FO one may suspect!   ???
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline viv

« Reply #487 on: June 05, 2013, 08:48:00 pm »
05/06/13 - Cabinet give go ahead for first lease

Conwy County Borough Council is pleased to announce that it has agreed to lease premises to the first tenant at Porth Eirias on Colwyn Bay promenade.

Conwy's Cabinet has agreed to grant a lease to Colwyn Bay Watersports.  The terms and conditions have been agreed; with just the final legal and property formalities to be confirmed.

Colwyn Bay Watersports will be offering tuition in sailing, windsurfing and power boating as well as kayak and canoe hire from the new building.

Cllr Graham Rees, Cabinet Member for Tourism, Marketing and Leisure said:

"Colwyn Bay Watersports is exactly the kind of business we were looking for to work from Porth Eirias to attract visitors and make the most of the marvellous waterfront. And bringing people into Colwyn Bay will encourage further investment to continue the regeneration of the town."

Director of Colwyn Bay Watersports, Taffy Osborne, explained:

"We're really excited to be able to work from Porth Eirias. As well as watersports tuition for all ages, we're planning to host weekend events which will bring in spectators and showcase watersports at the highest level. We'll also be working with schools to encourage local children to take up activities."

"We had a great time at Prom Xtra letting people know about us, and it was brilliant meeting so many people who are enthusiastic about watersports in Colwyn Bay. We are really looking forward to giving people their first chance to try sailing and windsurfing, and see the sailing potential of the Bay realised."

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #488 on: June 06, 2013, 07:20:02 pm »
I went to the Kiosk on the Promenade (the one with the pink car outside) and it was packed out.  It may have been breezy on the promenade but the welcome from the gentleman serving there was as warm as usual.
As I was enjoying my egg and bacon bap and coffee I could hear a few people saying that they would be sorry if the closure of the kiosk goes ahead as they enjoy going there so much and I think that there are many more who feel the same.

Offline Linda

« Reply #489 on: June 06, 2013, 10:23:13 pm »
I so agree,these folk running the Kiosks live everyday with a future closure threat. It is so very sad that at the waterfront there is nothing up to now for refreshments and those kiosks along there were closed prematurely. The people leasing them could have had another season and folks would have had a place for icecream etc and a bucket and spade. A bad oversight again. I have heard people saying how bad that there isnt any facilities for refreshments as yet down there. Think ill stick to Rhos with my grandchildren. Kiosks and cafes and adequate loos.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: June 07, 2013, 08:26:27 am »
I'd like to see new facilities that comprise an inside cafe area/outside hatch for people who want to sit out or takeaway/attached toilet.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: June 07, 2013, 08:31:05 am »
Colwyn Bay Watersports is exactly the kind of business we were looking for
Not a business though really, is it? It's a community interest company, basically a pumped up charity. Will they be paying a commercial rent? When is the Bistro opening? Is is true that the kitchens haven't even been fitted yet? Considering that the cafe facility was advertised as being available to lease over 2 years ago, isn't it a complete scandal that it's still not open?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #492 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:53 am »
We had a look around it yesterday morning and a man inside invited us to have a look, nice chap too, it seems all the exposed pipes, wiring is part of an industrial look (why that is a good thing escapes me!) I suggested that keeping the pipes etc dust free over an eating area would be tricky! He said that the reception area should be staffed in a fortnight too! They have someone probably lined up to run the cafe (I'll believe it when I see it! ). We had a tour of the changing rooms and conference rooms, all very smart looking, as it should be as we know it cost a fortune to build it! I asked how will all these water sports visitors be paying to use it? it seems they are still deciding on that one! Probably a day pass. I wonder just how many water sports visitors will turn up? Enough to pay for it? Hard to imagine somehow! I hope I'm wrong and it is a big success! The zig zag path? They have timed it at 1 minute 58 seconds to get a wheelchair up it!  ££$
He was familiar with my name for the place 'Skip by the Sea'  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:28 am »
it seems all the exposed pipes, wiring is part of an industrial look
That's what they always say when there isn't enough money to fit it out properly....

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #494 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:52 am »
Indeed, if this exposed wiring pipes etc looks so good, the architect who likes it should have it in their own house! It looks ugly and unfinished! Everyone I spoke to who saw it on the prom day thought the same!  &shake&