Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408499 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #465 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »
Good idea!  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2013, 02:54:01 pm »
Nice photos, ME. I sincerely hope my oft mentioned prediction of a serious storm flooding the Watersports Centre does not happen!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »
Thanks Dave, yes a flood would not be good! I actually liked being on the roof watching the waves etc, I like having a building there, I just wish it looked a lot better! I was imagining (as you have said) sitting with a coffee behind strong glass windows (the end clad in zinc!) watching the waves, would have been great, will have to try the cafe if it opens, at least some large windows!  I would not want my car getting covered in sea water though!  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »
Some letters in this week's NW Weekly News expressing disappointment with the Waterfront building. An accompanying picture has the caption: "UNPOPULAR: Some readers are unimpressed by the new Porth Eirias complex at Colwyn Bay".

The inside of the building was closed today, as it was when I visited earlier in the week. But the kids' playground area (in the shadow of the overhanging zinc wedge) was busy & noisy today. Not sure it's a good spot for a noisy playgound. The more I consider the design, the more I think it's badly thought-out.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #469 on: May 26, 2013, 10:52:15 am »
The more I consider the design, the more I think it's badly thought-out.

Don't know about badly thought out, there doesn't appear to have been one ounce of thought put into it!

During my many years in the construction industry I have certainly seen many peculiar and ill conceived structures but this one surpasses them all for both awful design and function.  With that tortuous climb for wheelchairs, they obviously are trying their best to discourage disabled people, and to my mind are in breach of the access regulations for public buildings.

It is just a graffiti artists dream come true - must get all my unused spray paints out and give the place some character!   ZXZ

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »
You might have something there Yorkie.
Some councils encourage graffiti to by having competitions.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »
Went to have a second look this afternoon just make sure that the ones I got from Specsavers were not  letting me down - they weren't, it really is awful!

However, what I did see was a large area of the upper level car park coned and taped off for the Colwyn Bay Jet Ski Club!   What a bloody cheek !   Surely it should be for the use of all.   :rage:
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #472 on: May 26, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »
The council's original promotional video ( see link) mentioned wheelchair users, but this was before the zig-zagging & plant beds (which was an afterthought, not in original plans). I wonder what they were thinking...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTZ_dlGqrk#t=8m26

(You may have to open videos in separate window for them to work).

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #473 on: May 26, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
It worked fine thanks. Very informative--but not the same layout at all to me. Just as a comment. ---What irritating background music :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #474 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:21 pm »
Yeah. They were still going with the original design at that point (all glass, projecting roof section, etc). It's less than two years since the council put that video up. Kind of makes you wonder about the timing of the drastic design changes.

(As it turns out Youtube links seem fine in this forum - they automatically open in separate window).

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #475 on: May 27, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »
  A few days ago Yorkie wrote that Rhos pier was damaged by fire.
  I don,t recall anything about a fire there, unless, which is perfectly possible, a kiosk of some sort was vandalised.
  White Rabbit has a good memory of old Rhos. Do you remember this? I certainly don,t. Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #476 on: May 27, 2013, 03:44:05 pm »
  A few days ago Yorkie wrote that Rhos pier was damaged by fire.
  I don,t recall anything about a fire there, unless, which is perfectly possible, a kiosk of some sort was vandalised.
  White Rabbit has a good memory of old Rhos. Do you remember this? I certainly don,t. Mike

My information taken from the Piers Society:

http://www.piers.org.uk/pierpages/NPSrhos.html

Don't think White Rabbit would have been old enough to remember the details of the pier's demise!  ;)
Cicero

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #477 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:25 pm »
No I'm afraid I was too young to remember that! ;)

Offline BMD

« Reply #478 on: May 31, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »
Carbuncle Cup 2013 is open for nominations. It's held by Building Design magazine:

How to nominate

Send your nominations to bdonline@ubm.com with a short citation (a brief description of why you think the building should be nominated) and, if possible, at least one picture.

A nomination will be published each week on Bdonline - those with multiple nominations will be selected first.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/carbuncle-cup-2013-open-for-nominations/5054682.article

Last year's winner is shown here: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/carbuncle-cup/carbuncle-cup-winner-2012-ship-in-a-throttle/5042493.article

Offline BMD

« Reply #479 on: May 31, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »
You can also submit your nomination on Twitter using #CarbuncleCup