Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414057 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #390 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »
A few photos I took this morning:

Offline BMD

« Reply #391 on: May 02, 2013, 05:25:04 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2013, 05:27:49 pm »
Nice photos, BMD.  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »
Nice photos, BMD.  $good$

Yes, I particularly like the one with the seagulls on it!  $good$  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2013, 09:13:02 pm »
    Pleased to see a significant number of families sitting/playing away merrily on the new sand at the Rhos side of the pier. This was around 5.30 this afternoon, high tide but loads of nice clean dry sand to play on. Perhaps Colwyn Bay has hit on a winner, it certainly looked lively even at the end of the afternoon. Lets hope the sand can be kept clean.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »
That's good to hear, Mike. Let's hope the sand can also be kept free of Colwyn Bay's resident alcoholics.  $good$

Offline BMD

« Reply #396 on: May 06, 2013, 08:07:24 pm »
Very impressive turnout today (Bank Holiday Monday) on Colwyn Bay beach - both sides of the pier. Like a "proper" holiday-season beach, full of sunbathers, families with young kids, etc.

Let's hope we get a decent cafe with good coffee & food (eg in Waterfront building) - and a refurbished pier.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #397 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »
Very impressive turnout today (Bank Holiday Monday) on Colwyn Bay beach - both sides of the pier. Like a "proper" holiday-season beach, full of sunbathers, families with young kids, etc.

Let's hope we get a decent cafe with good coffee & food (eg in Waterfront building) - and a refurbished pier.
That's great to hear, bodes well for the Summer.  $good$

Offline Linda

« Reply #398 on: May 07, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »
I agree with BMD that Colwyn Bay Beach and the Waterfront are a great asset to the Bay.The sand is lovely and full of shells pink and white. A pleasure to walk upon WITH SHOES. BUT! i have to say that having had a
short walk on there this evening I was so so mad that some people who must have some brain cells missing have left substantial amounts of litter , cans, bottles and plastic bags and some stuff i wouldn't mention on here. Where are these so called litter Inspectors. I know someone who drop a cigarette end in the street ( i know they shouldn't have) but got fined 75 quid. You should see what the bank holiday people have left behind, i dread what summer will bring if this is just over the weekend and no one cleaning up. I was planning to take my grandson, but as he is only two I will have to clear a site for us to play that's safe. I have taken my children and grandchildren to Rhos ,Colwyn and Penrhyn bay beach also Llandudno over the years and never seen that much litter. I wouldn't care but there is a great big litter bin on hand. I only covered a small amount of beach whilst there ,so god knows how much more rubbish there is over the whole of it.
This is such a shame again that a few spoil it for the rest. Basically are the Council going to allow this to happen,and are they going to clean the beach on a regular basis also will they police who's drinking down there, as looking towards the steps of the Waterfront a little group of (locals) with plastic carriers were swigging their lager. Another place i wont be walking around on a summers eve.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:23 am »
Consumption of alcohol in public places is a Police matter, you could have called the Police on 101 to report the drinkers?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #400 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:20 am »
Oh dear Linda what a shame that people spoil a new facility in such a manner. Mind you the litter is an on-going problem, my OH cleared a whole bagful of take-away boxes, bags and other containers from our car park and the surrounding lane at the weekend. I have actually seen people open a car door, pop their boxes etc under the car and then drive away---- whilst parked next to a bin. And just don't get me going on nappies-- Yeuk!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #401 on: May 08, 2013, 11:22:29 am »
I agree with BMD that Colwyn Bay Beach and the Waterfront are a great asset to the Bay.

I wouldn't put it in those terms, exactly. Time will tell, I guess, on whether you can lump the two together as an "asset". For example, there's a letter in the North Wales Weekly News this week which criticises the spending on the Waterfront building while high street shops continue to close due to high business rates, etc.

I remember someone from the council arguing that the jetski facilities would bring money into the town. I'm sceptical, myself - I'm not sure it works like that. But we can only wait and see. I sometimes think that a smaller (less expensive) pavilion/cafe structure, with an elegant design, sensitive to the surroundings - and less emphasis on jetskiers - might have been better.

But who knows? Maybe they're expecting a tsunami? That, at least, might explain the zinc-clad windowless wedge pointing out to sea. ;)

Based on what I've seen so far, I think the "enhanced" beach may have been a good idea. If the aim was to attract more people, then it looks successful so far. But I think it's too early to lump the beach together with the Waterfront building and label them as "assets" together. (Local government & construction-business PR aside!)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:12 am »
I sometimes think that a smaller (less expensive) pavilion/cafe structure, with an elegant design, sensitive to the surroundings - and less emphasis on jetskiers - might have been better.
I agree.  $good$

Offline Linda

« Reply #403 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:18 pm »
Firstly I would like to say someone has cleaned the new beach (hopefully) rubbish binned and gone ;D though an array of plastic and a nappy or two left along the old stone wall. :(
I believe the Waterfront and Beach were a combined effect to the sea defence project and not just to be a cafe and watersports area, also yes I agree that money could have been saved on the top structures. The bunker effect altho looks pleasant on the pier side with the glass windows, looks a bit forboding on the Old Colwyn side. Did notice though the nice little trees that had been planted at the front the other week have gone Hubby said they looked brown and not very alive when he last saw them. So hope they plant more suitable trees.
In all fairness I don't think its too bad until you turn and see that Pier . Maybe when the waterfront was thought of, the powers that be
thought to demolish it if any funding couldn't be found to renovate it. Once again it looks like something(I hope not) will seriously go wrong before its all resolved.
On the subject of the folk drinking down there, Dave I would report it if i saw them again though what happens in a couple of weeks down
at this 2 day prom event when its running all day with disco and beach party, will drinking be allowed then, if not I'm sure there will be those that will. Its a beach party and DJ disco etc. Lots of Young folk (and older ones) ;D will want to be there. I wonder if they do the same as at the Concerts at Eirias and check all people upon entry.

Offline Linda

« Reply #404 on: May 09, 2013, 11:04:12 pm »
Oh dear Linda what a shame that people spoil a new facility in such a manner. Mind you the litter is an on-going problem, my OH cleared a whole bagful of take-away boxes, bags and other containers from our car park and the surrounding lane at the weekend. I have actually seen people open a car door, pop their boxes etc under the car and then drive away---- whilst parked next to a bin. And just don't get me going on nappies-- Yeuk!
Hi Nemesis, yes I guess everyone in llandudno has worse problems after the Extravaganza. I just hope this at the beach in Colwyn improves and yes nappies were left along the old seating area. What is wrong with these people.
To be honest a couple of weeks ago we sat at west shore and a car of young guys(not kids) were just about to put there takeaway cartons just out of the doors of their car until they saw us looking. They did quickly pick them up but not without a threatening glance and some comment,
by then I had to hold my hubby back from going over as i worried what the outcome may have been  &shake&