Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408321 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:46 am »
Just to add to my comment on Linda's post: At the top right hand side of any post to which you want to reply. or which you want to quote, there's a button:

[smg id=1159]

but this copies the post in question completely, and then re-posts it in its entirety.  Also, it's easy to miss the final [ /quote ] mark, and start your reply inside it, so your response becomes part of the original quote.  Usually, however, and for the purposes of readability, you might not want to quote the entire post at length, especially if it has one or more images in it.

So, to quote just a part of someone's post...

• Go to the post you want to quote from
  • Position your cursor immediately before the bit you want to quote
  • Hold your LH mouse button down, and drag the cursor to the end of the potential quote
  • Hold down 'CNTRL' and press "C"
  • Click on the 'Reply" button
  • Click the quote icon (second from Right in the row of rectangular buttons immediately above the smileys)
  • Hold down 'CNTRL' and press "V"

That's it.  Now, you compose your own post, and - when you press 'Post" - your quote will appear above it.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:27 am »
I find it easier to use the whole Quote and then just edit out the parts I don't want.   This is easy with just one quote but when you have "nested" quotes you have to be careful not to edit out the person you are actually quoting!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:35 am »
I find it easier to use the whole Quote and then just edit out the parts I don't want.

That's a good method, as you say.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:27 pm »
I find it easier to use the whole Quote and then just edit out the parts I don't want.

That's a good method, as you say.

The only way I could find when using an iPad/iPhone.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Linda

« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:19 am »
Just to add to my comment on Linda's post: At the top right hand side of any post to which you want to reply. or which you want to quote, there's a button:

[smg id=1159]

but this copies the post in question completely, and then re-posts it in its entirety.  Also, it's easy to miss the final [ /quote ] mark, and start your reply inside it, so your response becomes part of the original quote.  Usually, however, and for the purposes of readability, you might not want to quote the entire post at length, especially if it has one or more images in it.

So, to quote just a part of someone's post...

• Go to the post you want to quote from
  • Position your cursor immediately before the bit you want to quote
  • Hold your LH mouse button down, and drag the cursor to the end of the potential quote
  • Hold down 'CNTRL' and press "C"
  • Click on the 'Reply" button
  • Click the quote icon (second from Right in the row of rectangular buttons immediately above the smileys)
  • Hold down 'CNTRL' and press "V"

That's it.  Now, you compose your own post, and - when you press 'Post" - your quote will appear above it.

Hi thanks for suggestions will have to give these a try when i have to time as my daughter is due to have her baby and i have got my grandson to look after busy busy at mo. Need peace and quiet to study this lol   $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »
From the NW Weekly:

“What makes me upset is this is affecting six families, the council should be supporting small businesses, not taking our livelihood away from us.”
A Conwy County Council spokeswoman said: “As a key element of Colwyn Bay’s regeneration, the council needs to progress with the coastal defence and promenade regeneration plans without delay.
“To make use of the existing funding for the scheme, and be able to access future funding, it is necessary to bring the current tenancies of the kiosks on Colwyn promenade to an end.
“However, not all locations on the promenade will be affected at the same time, therefore a staged approach has been developed. The council will discuss alternative business opportunities with the kiosk operators as and when they become available.
“We believe the future success of the promenade and beach will depend on offering a range of services and facilities for residents and visitors.”

I'mm curious.  Exactly why is accessing extra funding dependent on getting rid of the kiosks?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2013, 10:40:43 pm »
I can't remember where I heard it, but I think the kiosks may have very low rents, perhaps the council wants to end it and have new units with higher rents? I'm only guessing though! Seems unfair to me though!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Gaylord Screwsby

« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2013, 06:57:38 am »
Great news that they will be staying - we will have to watch carefully in case the Council try it on again. Perhaps we should push for them to be listed buildings -after all they are on many old photos of the Bay, and still provide excellent service. They give the Bay its character and would be missed by everyone.

Whilst in its current state the pier certainly is an eyesore,  it is part of the character of Colwyn Bay and yet you hope it gets blown away in a storm. Surely a restored pier would add much more to the character and visual appelal of the Bay than a few kiosks?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2013, 08:06:22 am »
perhaps the council wants to end it and have new units with higher rents?

That's suspiciously what it sounds like to me. Again, however, this goes to the openness of CCBC:  why don't they simply explain what they're trying to do and why?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2013, 11:31:18 am »

That's suspiciously what it sounds like to me. Again, however, this goes to the openness of CCBC:  why don't they simply explain what they're trying to do and why?

Because they are a bunch of hypocrites, who promise open Government, then shut the door on it.

The only people who believe their lies are themselves.   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:23 am »
Great news that they will be staying - we will have to watch carefully in case the Council try it on again. Perhaps we should push for them to be listed buildings -after all they are on many old photos of the Bay, and still provide excellent service. They give the Bay its character and would be missed by everyone.

Whilst in its current state the pier certainly is an eyesore,  it is part of the character of Colwyn Bay and yet you hope it gets blown away in a storm. Surely a restored pier would add much more to the character and visual appeal of the Bay than a few kiosks?

Its not so much of an issue of how the Kiosks look.  Its more of loosing an amenity that all people can use, older folk and disabled can park up for a cuppa and icecream and folk can meet and sit at the tables in the nice weather, children can have icecream and dog walkers can sit with a cuppa etc. You cannot do that with the Pier or Waterfront in the same way. Parking will be compromised. The Kiosks are unobtrusive so therefore dont add or take away the scenery of the Bay but provide a service. They are busy little kiosks run by private leaseholders making a living for their families.
So if the council are forcing closure they should make sure these people have got alternative options. I was given the reprieve letter  by one of the Cayley Kiosk leaseholders to read, he was a happy man, as at least he should have more notice next time closure is imminent instead of a couple of weeks like this last time.
We all know the seadefence has to come first otherwise our prom would disappear and the railway and other structures would be in danger.  As was said in the North Wales weekly the work is in stages, so let the folk carry on in the kiosks as long as possible. We dont need empty little buildings left for months,possibly to be vandalised.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:51:18 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »
I agree that the Kiosks need to remain open until the building work is imminent.

Remember that, once all the work is completed, there will several new cafes/kiosks along the Prom, all of which I am sure will have outside seating areas etc and the environment around them will be far nicer than it is now.

To be fair to CCBC, the redevelopment plans have been publicly available for several years, no kiosk owner can have been unaware than work was going to take place at some point.

I believe the average rent paid by a kiosk owner is £41 a week. That seems very low indeed. CCBC have a responsibility to let their properties at a market rent - I can't accept that cutbacks to public services and increases in Council Tax need to be made if they are not prepared to operate their own property estate efficently.
"The average rental per annum is £2,120 (£41 weekly average)."

Offline Linda

« Reply #267 on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:59 pm »
I agree that the Kiosks need to remain open until the building work is imminent.

Remember that, once all the work is completed, there will several new cafes/kiosks along the Prom, all of which I am sure will have outside seating areas etc and the environment around them will be far nicer than it is now.

To be fair to CCBC, the redevelopment plans have been publicly available for several years, no kiosk owner can have been unaware than work was going to take place at some point.

I believe the average rent paid by a kiosk owner is £41 a week. That seems very low indeed. CCBC have a responsibility to let their properties at a market rent - I can't accept that cutbacks to public services and increases in Council Tax need to be made if they are not prepared to operate their own property estate efficently.

"The average rental per annum is £2,120 (£41 weekly average)."

Hi yes I agree plans have been available so the kiosk folk would have been aware, but i was led to believe the owner i know was told
he would have at least 18months of trading left and suddenly out of the blue ,got a closure notice two or three weeks prior to the supposed closure. I cant speak for the other kiosks people down near the pier etc.  I do agree however that the rents are very low and need to be brought into line and can truly understand that any new venues would reflect those rises and possibly the kiosks as they
are now. It is the back handed way these folk were treated that i object to. We have had businesses both freehold and leasehold in the past and have never heard of anyone given such a short  notice to close unless rent was unpaid or hygiene issues were there these are not applicable (I dont think).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:43 am »
Yes, it would have been fairer to give them at least 6 months notice of closure.

One idea for the new kiosks/cafes, that I think is very important, is the provision of toilet facilities. All of the new ones should be constructed with toilets for the use by the general public. The deal should be that the cafe operator gets a slightly reduced rent in return for cleaning the toilets etc. This would remove the need for costly standalone public toilets on the Prom and provide a greatly enhanced public toilet provision along the Prom.

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
Can anyone confirm this interesting piece of news? ;)

https://twitter.com/NewsFrames/status/308584075487223811