Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408903 times)

Offline Linda

Re: The Snack Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2013, 10:34:12 pm »
O'h no, that would be awful Linda. I love stopping there for a cup of tea on my way back from shopping.
I do hope this doesn't happen. Is it perhaps a temporary measure while other improvements are going on?
Hi hollins, Sadly the plans dont seem to include anything, lets hope we are wrong .They are a convenient amenity and a bucket , spade and ice cream supplier to all on the beach. Very sad if we cant offer that except in one venue the water sports centre, long trek up the prom for the children and all beach users.
Don't get me wrong, I am all the improvements and we badly need this work doing on our sea defences but if all these kiosks are closed till work begins what an eyesore and how long before vandals start to daub on the buildings.

Offline Linda

« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:32 pm »
Do you think the kiosks may eventually pose a threat to any food outlets included in the new waterfront development?
Hi Bri, you could be right, but i dont think Rhos have had any problems filling their cafes etc with customers over the years, because of a couple of Kiosks. I heard something about Dinosaur World pulling out of Erias because they could not have a cafe,  refused on the grounds that it could damage trade for the leisure centre. Ummmm! makes you wonder. Just feel for the kiosk traders and their customers. It seems such a loss.

Offline Linda

« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »
That's good news for the Rhos Kiosks.  The one nearest the pier has a 5 star food hygeine rating and the food and drink there is very good.
Agreed. Some would say its the only one worth going to.
Not sure which one you mean, do you mean the one with the slipway nr the pier or near the Cayley as both those seem pretty ok to me. I cant speak for the others east of the pier as its been so difficult that end to park whilst the watersports centre work has gone on. In the past i have used them in between business apps. iv been going to. They were ok.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2013, 07:27:21 am »
I heard something about Dinosaur World pulling out of Erias because they could not have a cafe,  refused on the grounds that it could damage trade for the leisure centre.

Sound to me like a bit of restrictive practices, and probably illegal to boot!  Especially if the Leisure Centre is Council run!  Do you have any more information?  ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:59 am »
I have contacted CCBC and asked them to clarify the issue of the kiosks.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:34 am »
Plan of Phase 1B of Project starting mid-Feb - importing sand onto beach area stretching from Watersports Centre to bottom of Marine Road:

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/534/General_Arrangement.pdf

Offline Linda

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:29 am »
I have contacted CCBC and asked them to clarify the issue of the kiosks.
Great at least we will know if this is true and why so soon for the Rhos Kiosks. Better having the facts before ranting on to any councillors
I think $thanx$

Offline Linda

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:37 am »
I heard something about Dinosaur World pulling out of Erias because they could not have a cafe,  refused on the grounds that it could damage trade for the leisure centre.

Sound to me like a bit of restrictive practices, and probably illegal to boot!  Especially if the Leisure Centre is Council run!  Do you have any more information?  ;)
Sadly over Dinosaur World no. Interesting to find out though. Another independent business makes you think doesnt it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:29 am »
I'm sure the Dinosaur World story is very true. When I worked with Cllr Oddy to try and revive Eirias Park a few years ago, one of our plans was to reopen the Pavilion by the lower car park as a small cafe. We were told that we couldn't do that as it would affect Leisure Centre cafe trade.

Pavilion of Splendour by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:08 pm »
I'm sure the Dinosaur World story is very true. When I worked with Cllr Oddy to try and revive Eirias Park a few years ago, one of our plans was to reopen the Pavilion by the lower car park as a small cafe. We were told that we couldn't do that as it would affect Leisure Centre cafe trade.

The biggest threat to the Leisure Centre's cafe trade is the Leisure Centre's cafe itself.  My youngest goes for swimming lessons at the leisure centre so I have to endure that cafe for half an hour a week and it's by far the worst cafe in the area.  The food is abysmal and considering it's a leisure centre the food is pretty much all unhealthy stodge served up with chips (if you want a healthy meal go outside and grab a handful of grass from the field).  All the cutlery and crockery is plastic, the tables and chairs are all bolted to the floor and the windows are usually impossible to see of thanks to the condensation.  I grudgingly buy a hot drink, £1.20 and served up in a cardboard cup from a vending machine behind the counter, but only because I'm a captive audience.  The place needs ripping out and starting from scratch.  They should take a look at the place in the Bay View centre for inspiration, it's cheap and cheerful but good food and excellent value (the toast there is wonderful).

n.b. Dan's Den have recently opened a new cafe in the old toilet block opposite the astroturf pitches (haven't been there yet) but they presumably got special treatment being a local charity.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:52 pm »
That's what happens when you let the Council run such a facility. No imagination, no attention to detail and no-one cares.... It loses money, I believe.

I've been in Dans Den cafe when it first opened. I ordered a coffee and shuddered when i saw the lid come off a catering size tin of Nescrape.  &shake&

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:26 pm »
  Fat Andy, I am with you one hundred per cent on both your points. Not the P.S., I don't know about that.
   But the first two, I've spent hours and hours in the swimming pool cafe because I had no choice, I used to take school youngsters swimming there when I drove a coach. They used to give me what they thought was preferential treatment being the driver. God help any "ordinary"customer. It was unbelievably bad in every possible way.
  Toast in the Bay View centre. I live on it, eat it most days. When I dont have that I have scrambled eggs on toast.
   I'm going to watch out for a well built gentleman eating toast when I go there tomorrow----and congratulate him on his post.  Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »
I ordered a coffee and shuddered when i saw the lid come off a catering size tin of Nescrape.  &shake&

:-X  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:06 pm »
Dave, I think your answer from CCBC...(should you ever get one)... will be most interesting.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2013, 12:31:08 am »
I wonder if there will be an answer from the Council or not, I think there have been many u turns and maybe they will hide behind closed doors.

Think i will write anyway, incidentally  the last Kiosk near Rhos does a wicked toasted teacake ;). I also think the Leisure centre cafe is pants
especially for parents and grandparents waiting for the children. If that is a sample of a Council run cafe, don't hold much hope for the waterfront unless it uses a franchise