Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 413197 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1350 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:23 pm »
  I glanced through the official notice in the local paper, probably the Post but I'm not sure. The licensed hours applied for finished at 02. a.m   I am not absolutely certain of this, I told you I only glanced, but I am reasonably sure.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1351 on: July 08, 2015, 06:30:15 am »
Apparently it was basically a bureacratic foul up - for one night only. The temporary licence expired on Monday and the permanent one starts on Wednesday - hence the one day interim.

As for my meal it was perfectly pleasant. The service was very erratic though.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1352 on: July 08, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
Slow food service Tom or just inexperienced staff?

I have been checking TripAdvisor for reviews but none that I can see yet.

There are two entries. One says be the first to review this restaurant....http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551979-d8394002-Reviews-Bryn_Williams_at_Porth_Eirias-Colwyn_Bay_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html

and the other says it is closed!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551979-d4268564-Reviews-Porth_Eirias-Colwyn_Bay_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1353 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:12 am »
At first staff were overly-attentive. I was asked if I had finished my starter scarcely halfway through it....

Then I was asked four times during my main meal how my food was.

But then it went the other way and took staff ages to take our food order, then I had to ask for our bill twice.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1354 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »
When I went in for a coffee earlier, one of the kitchen staff was using the large circular reception desk as a space to sit down at while he dried knives and forks. (I've noticed something similar before - I guess there's not enough room in the kitchen).

Couple of other things: coffee bought at the bar or restaurant area is £2.50, but £1.95 in the 'cafe' area. The latter area looks directly into the toilets by the entrance, through the glass. Acoustics where I was sitting at the bar were terrible - couldn't hear myself speak above the harsh-sounding background noise. On the plus side, the coffee was nice and strong, and the restaurant was busy (people seemed to be enjoying themselves).

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1355 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:41 pm »
I agree the service is a bit erratic but presume that's teething problems or not enough training.  Also enjoyed the cappucinos we ordered but had to ask for sugar and when it came only white so had to ask for brown which came in a couple of odd sachets!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1356 on: August 03, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
Porth Eirias power cut closes restaurant for 24 hours

A waterfront restaurant run by celebrity chef Bryn Williams has been forced to close its kitchen today due to problems with power.
Porth Eirias Restaurant in Colwyn Bay announced on social media this afternoon that, due to circumstances outside of its control, it had lost power to the building and the restaurant, cafe and bar would be shut for about 24 hours.
The long-awaited eatery, which finally opened last month following months of delays, is situated in Colwyn Bay’s £4m waterfront complex.

Acclaimed chef Bryn from Denbigh, who owns the renowned Odette’s Restaurant in London’s Primrose Hill, tweeted followers earlier to update them on the closure and apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused.
The restaurant posted on its Facebook page: “Due to circumstances outside of our control, we’ve lost power to the building.
“Therefore we are sorry to announce that the restaurant, café and bar will be shut for around 24 hours.
“We’re really sorry about this, we’ll keep you up-to-date and hopefully be back serving food and drink as soon as possible.
“Anyone with reservations for the next 24 hours, we will be contacting you to re-arrange bookings shortly
REFDP

Offline BMD

« Reply #1357 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:39 pm »
Had lunch there today. Here's my "capsule review":

- Puddings good (my warm chocolate mousse with vanilla ice cream was great).
- Beer, wine & coffee good.
- But: we were disappointed with the main course. Crab and mayo roll, at £8.50, seemed ridiculously overpriced. Far too much mayo in proportion to the crab. Plain and not very tasty, frankly. And quite a small roll (should perhaps have been on "small plates" selection). The kind of thing you might expect from Greggs, but not from a celebrity-chef bistro. Two of us had this - both of same negative opinion.
- The "small plate" Welsh lamb breast, aubergine & cumin was apparently good, but small indeed.

Given the price tag, I'm a bit underwhelmed. The place was crowded as usual, though, and people seem to like it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1358 on: August 19, 2015, 12:25:14 pm »
Had lunch there today.

Given the price tag, I'm a bit underwhelmed. The place was crowded as usual, though, and people seem to like it.

Crab mayo... in Greggs, I would expect it to be crab sticks in mayo.
In a bistro, I would expect it to be fresh, dressed crab.
Was it BMD?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:40:18 pm by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1359 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:15 pm »
Had lunch there today.

Was it BMD?

It sure was - here is a picture

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:40:50 pm by Ian »

Offline BMD

« Reply #1360 on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »
Was it BMD?

Don't knock the mega-corporation Greggs. A Greggs Tandoori Chicken baguette I had the other day (£2) was pretty good.

Seriously, though, I'm sure it was fresh crab (mixed into a lot of mayonnaise). I've had good, tasty crab. This wasn't. And at £8.50, I expected much better. (It was just a smallish brioche roll & mayo-crab filler - nothing else included).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1361 on: August 23, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »
I've never stopped at Bryn's Bistro but I've driven past many times when I've taken my dog for a walk on the sandy beach at Old Colwyn.  When we drove past it again this week, we didn't see any notices advertising the place as a restaurant.
The steps to the top of the building also reminded  me of the steps on the sea defence on Llandudno's West Shore and that's not a good thing either.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1362 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
Found this article interesting............What if.......... &shake&     &shake&      &shake&

Plas Heli sailing academy attracts 35,000 visitors in one month
A £9m sailing academy has hosted events attracting more than 35,000 visitors to the area since its new centre opened only a month ago.
Championships at Plas Heli in Pwllheli have drawn sailors and their families from Europe, the US and New Zealand.

Jubilant officials are delighted with the early successes  since the mid-July opening of the academy’s new multi-functional event centre, funded by the Welsh Government and Gwynedd Council.

Plas Heli spokesman Garth Roberts said: “We used to work out of a marquee but this building has the wow factor with its hall, restaurant and bar.
“Last month, the painters were going out the back door and people were coming in through the front door.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/plas-heli-sailing-academy-attracts-9919450

http://www.plasheli.org/index.php/en/

Offline BMD

« Reply #1363 on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »
"INVESTIGATIONS are to be launched into leaks at Porth Eirias after the £3.9million watersports complex let in water earlier this year..."

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/155346/leak-concerns-raised-at-colwyn-bay-waterfront-centre.aspx

I do seem to recall going in earlier this year and seeing a bucket or two placed on the floor to capture drips from above.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1364 on: November 30, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
So not only is it hideous to look at, it's badly built too?   &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas