Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 413987 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1290 on: May 19, 2015, 07:44:13 pm »
   No one has written saying they went to the Prom day. And I didn't go. So --- rumour,rumour,rumour. I grew up in the war years and it was drummed into everyone that rumour was a definite no goer and no one should indulge themselves by passing it on.
   Having said that, I have heard more than a few rumours about last weekends event and they range from bad to shocking and embarrassing. Especially on the second day, the Sunday. Absolutely no one there. I was told one of the entertaining stars, X factor winner or similar who has performed recently in front of 7,000 to 8,000 fans was having to give it all she had to a small bunch of around 20/25.
   I suppose this bears out my very limited view travelling back and forth from Llandudno and Old Colwyn. From a distance it looked empty and I didn't encounter the slightest sign of any traffic congestion

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1291 on: May 19, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »
Didn't go to th Prom Day but went past!  I think it was held in the wrong place - would have been better below the Cayley Prom as in previous years.  Much easier to access from both Rhos and The Bay.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1292 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »
So who moved it along there don,t say the brill council  _))* _))*

Offline alw

« Reply #1293 on: May 20, 2015, 07:00:25 am »
The problem was the atrocious westerly wind, plenty of people turned up and very quickly left !
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1294 on: May 20, 2015, 09:03:36 am »
   No one has written saying they went to the Prom day. And I didn't go. So --- rumour,rumour,rumour. I grew up in the war years and it was drummed into everyone that rumour was a definite no goer and no one should indulge themselves by passing it on.
   Having said that, I have heard more than a few rumours about last weekends event and they range from bad to shocking and embarrassing. Especially on the second day, the Sunday. Absolutely no one there. I was told one of the entertaining stars, X factor winner or similar who has performed recently in front of 7,000 to 8,000 fans was having to give it all she had to a small bunch of around 20/25.
   I suppose this bears out my very limited view travelling back and forth from Llandudno and Old Colwyn. From a distance it looked empty and I didn't encounter the slightest sign of any traffic congestion
That's appalling! I believe the event was moved down to that end of the Prom in order to make Porth Eirias look useful. Sadly, it seems the curse of Porth Eirias has struck again...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1295 on: June 03, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »
Porth Eirias: First look inside Bryn's seafront bistro

WORK on the seafront bistro at Porth Eirias is now in its final stages.
 With the long awaited opening now weeks away, Pioneer reporter Dean Jones and photographer Terry Williams were given an exclusive tour of the site located within the £3.9million watersports complex by chef Bryn Williams.
Mr Williams, said: “Everything is progressing nicely now and although work is still ongoing, its nice to see things coming to life.
“It has been hard work, but nothing worth having comes easy and I am confident it will be an asset to Colwyn Bay and North Wales. This part of the world means a lot to me and I have been in London for the last 18 years, but North Wales will always be home and I just can’t wait to get started.”
The bistro will be open from 9am to 9pm seven days a week, and will create 22 jobs. An opening date has not been confirmed due to work still ongoing.

Once open, the site will be split into a restaurant, bar and cafe, creating what Mr Williams hopes will be a relaxed and noisy atmosphere with something for everyone.

He said: “I want to encourage interaction, I want there to be plenty of conversation as it will be a noisy place anyway with the open kitchen, so we are looking at ways that we can make it as enjoyable as possible.”

The chef, who hopes to work at the bistro during its initial opening, explained that he would be employing two apprentices to work under himself and head chef Richard Williams, who will oversee the day-to-day running of the bistro with a restaurant manager.

Williams said: “I have also sourced suppliers from across North Wales to ensure that this is a place that showcases the best food the area has to offer, and if customers don’t like some of the things we are doing, then we are flexible enough to change it round.”

The chef is still looking to fill a few positions at the bistro.
To apply send your CV to portheirias@bryn-williams.co.uk.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/148730/porth-eirias-first-look-inside-bryn-s-seafront-bistro.aspx

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: June 04, 2015, 09:23:04 am »
I'm glad to see it will be open all day, I just hope that it provides food & drink at a reasonable price for visitors to the beach.  $good$

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1297 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:20 am »
Not sure about the emphasis on how noisy it will be.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1298 on: June 04, 2015, 09:53:21 am »
I'm glad to see it will be open all day, I just hope that it provides food & drink at a reasonable price for visitors to the beach.
I agree, but the closing time of 9 PM raises the question, is it an over funded beach cafe or a "high end venue" restaurant/tourist attraction.   &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1299 on: June 04, 2015, 10:00:41 am »
I'm glad to see it will be open all day, I just hope that it provides food & drink at a reasonable price for visitors to the beach.
I agree, but the closing time of 9 PM raises the question, is it an over funded beach cafe or a "high end venue" restaurant/tourist attraction.   &shake&
I think it will try to be all things to all people - a difficult task to achieve!

When I was on Menorca, I was struck by the sensible attitude they had towards food & drink provision on the beach. The largest beach on the Island, Son Bou, has three wooden shack style cafe/restaurants on it, all of which served a full range of affordable food and drink. Although they were busy, service was quick, friendly and efficient and the food was good.

In the local area, we seem to struggle to get it right, perhaps a consequence of certain CCBC management having 'delusions of grandeur', instead of concentrating on the basics. I get the impression a lot of these projects are approved with an eye to adding an impressive entry to their CV, rather than providing what is needed for residents and visitors.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1300 on: June 04, 2015, 09:33:01 pm »
   Going back to the Prom day I've just read White Rabbits post. Well, White Rabbit, I hate to write this especially to you of all people because of your intimate knowledge of the Cayley embankment properties. But the present residents have been united in absolute opposition to the old prom day when sited in what they considered their front garden.  Absolutely everything they hate, masses of "ordinary" people enjoying themselves in a noisy way, and even worse daring to park their cars on the public highway which happens to be within sight of they lounge windows. I bet they have had a say in having it moved.
   I must add an apology to White Rabbit. I know you moved away from there many many years ago. I am sure you would have put up with it for one day in the year without complaining.
  Oh, and another comment, no doubt true. People left because of the terrible western wind. Well O.K., but imagine if it had been a TERRIBLE eastern wind.

Offline alw

« Reply #1301 on: June 05, 2015, 06:46:34 pm »
People left because of the terrible western wind. Well O.K., but imagine if it had been a TERRIBLE eastern wind.

A terrible easterly wind is fine, but the westerly that day was described as "atrocious"   :P
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1302 on: June 08, 2015, 05:23:02 pm »
COLWYN BAY WATERFRONT PROJECT
Project Updates 2015
Colwyn Bay Beach
April 2015
The public realm landscaping scheme west of the Princess Court Apartments has now been substantially completed. Seating units and planting beds will be installed outside the Toad Hall public house in the coming weeks which will complete this phase of work.

Last month saw the installation of ten bespoke seating units on the recently refurbished promenade between Porth Eirias and the Pier. These units were commissioned with support from Arts Council Wales and were designed and manufactured by Freshwest Design.  team has now been appointed for the Phase 2 Promenade Enhancement works, the next phase of the Waterfront Project. Work will now begin on developing design proposals for the area west of the Pier up to the eastern extent of the Cayley embankment.

A consultant design team has now been appointed for the Phase 2 Promenade Enhancement works, the next phase of the Waterfront Project. Work will now begin on developing design proposals for the area west of the Pier up to the eastern extent of the Cayley embankment.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?cat=8697&Language=1

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1303 on: June 09, 2015, 08:55:40 am »
COLWYN BAY WATERFRONT PROJECT
Project Updates 2015
Colwyn Bay Beach
April 2015
The public realm landscaping scheme west of the Princess Court Apartments has now been substantially completed. Seating units and planting beds will be installed outside the Toad Hall public house in the coming weeks which will complete this phase of work.
Yet more concrete used for the planters and seats outside the Toad pub. It looks great when its new, but give it ten years and it will look grimy and dirty.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1304 on: June 09, 2015, 09:03:01 am »
Chaos on there yesterday tea time. I also noticed that the demolition of the Rothsay has begun.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.