Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408840 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1275 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
Secondly, the problem with the proposed celebrity kitchen gas and/or electric not being up to scratch and the Hugh cost of putting it right.
 Well, what looks like a power substation is being built there. Plus a trench along the prom, presumably to take gas pipes or electricity cables. The trench started from the substation area and has now, believe it or not, reached past the pier and still heading west towards Rhos. So far what's that? A quarter of a mile? And it's certainly not finished yet. That seems one hell of a long way to connect up to a gas supply. It cannot possible be electric. After all there is wind generated electric on the site

Power company spends £200k at Porth Eirias
17:22, 9 September 2014 By North Wales Daily Post
Scottish Power investment will upgrade cables to allow centre to generate power

More than £200,000 will be spent installing an improved power network at Porth Eirias as the cost for the watersports centre continues to spiral.

Scottish Power have confirmed that a six-figure sum will be spent on infrastructure improvements.

A Scottish Power spokesperson said: “SP Energy Networks is investing over £200,000 in the area and we will be working closely with Conwy County Council to agree a start date for this programme of work.”

Conwy Council says that none of the cost will come from public funds, and says that the work could lead to power generation revenue for the council.

A council spokesman said: "Scottish Power will be upgrading its own cables between Porth Eirias and its sub-station in Old Colwyn. This is required to accommodate the potential of Porth Eirias to generate power, rather than to supply electricity to the building.

"Exporting energy to the grid provides potential income generation for Conwy County Borough Council. The opening and running of the facility is not dependent upon completing this re-cabling work."

The authority has also denied a claim that the complex, which cost more than £4million, had been running on a gas back-up generator since opening a year ago.

Three weeks ago Conwy Council voted through extra funds to be spent on refitting Porth Eirias for chef Bryn Williams’s delayed bistro .

The vote by Conwy Council’s cabinet, behind closed doors, approved an additional £33,000 for kitchen work  with a further £38,000 for substation work, which will be shared with Shel Restaurant Ltd. This is on top of £95,000 already budgeted. It means the refit cost will be £164,000.

There is still no opening date for the bistro.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/power-company-spends-200k-porth-7744396

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1276 on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:23 am »
The Pedestrian Tunnel between the Pier and Town centre was recently refurbished at great expense, complete with fancy new uplighters installed in the paving to illuminate it. Sad to report I walked though it last week and saw that most of the expensive new lights have already been smashed, apparently by people dropping bricks on them.  &shake&
The lighting has been replaced at a cost of, wait for it....£3,500.  :o

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #1277 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:02 am »
How is the Bistro going to generate power ?
Will it have a windmill on top ?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1278 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
Probably a mixture of hot air and methane from all of the bullsh1t in the skip!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #1279 on: April 23, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
'A council spokesman said: "Scottish Power will be upgrading its own cables between Porth Eirias and its sub-station in Old Colwyn. This is required to accommodate the potential of Porth Eirias to generate power, rather than to supply electricity to the building.' (Quoted from Daily Post article posted above)

Ah, yes, I remember this. It led us to speculate that they might be installing a fusion reactor in the massive skip-shaped part of the building. But, as ME says, I suspect it's the accumulated BS that will provide the power. At this rate, it'll compete with the proposed tidal lagoon.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1280 on: April 30, 2015, 09:36:36 am »
If nothing else, it's good to see 25 jobs being created at the Bistro...

Chef Bryn Williams 'impressed' after candidates arrive for interviews for jobs at Porth Eirias bistro Colwyn Bay
19:32, 29 April 2015 By David Powell

Some 75 applicants turned up to apply for jobs at chef Bryn Williams’s new seafront bistro, which aims to open in June.

There are 25 full and part-time posts up for grabs at Porth Eirias, Colwyn Bay.

Denbigh chef Bryn, and his partner David Owen, of Shel Restaurant Ltd, held interviews for a range of posts at an open day today.

Afterwards, Mr Owen said: “It’s been a really good day. Bryn and I were very impressed with the turn-out.

“Between 9.15am and 2pm we had 75 people here for posts from head chef to bottle washers.

“There’s so much support from local people and the standard of applications was very good.”

Mr Owen added: “It was also good to see a lot of young people applying too.

Job Centre staff were on hand to help applicants as they arrived.

Cllr Mike Priestley, Conwy Council’s Cabinet member for finance and resources, welcomed the response after helping to bring the project to fruition.

He said: “It’s always good to see new employment in the area and it’s great to see something happening at Porth Eirias.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/chef-bryn-williams-impressed-after-9149253

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1281 on: May 14, 2015, 04:54:00 pm »
My story on consultancy report commissioned by Conwy Council into Colwyn Bay Bay promenade redevelopment: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-pier-should-new-9253187

If you ask me, the whole report should be hosted online for public to read. Very interesting and extensive. Curious to know the cost of it mind...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1282 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:26 am »
My story on consultancy report commissioned by Conwy Council into Colwyn Bay Bay promenade redevelopment: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-pier-should-new-9253187

If you ask me, the whole report should be hosted online for public to read. Very interesting and extensive. Curious to know the cost of it mind...
Interesting. I love how Colliers must be getting paid a fortune to state what is pretty obvious. Cannot CCBC, with its armies of highly paid/qualified people, come up with this sort of Report themselves?

"Colliers stress the pier in its current condition “is a blight on the commercial appeal of the area and a solution to its future needs to be found as soon as possible"

Tom, was there anything about reinstating refreshment kiosks along the Prom at all, in the report?

Offline peterh

« Reply #1283 on: May 15, 2015, 11:43:52 am »
Definition of a consultant "He who borrows your watch and then tells you the time"

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1284 on: May 15, 2015, 06:43:31 pm »
The report is mostly focused on phase 2 of the redevelopment (from the pier to the area in front of the toad) and is rather damning of that as a development opportunity due to its size.

Section 8 of the report focuses on end user markets. It's prefaced with the statement, in bold saying "The commercial retail and food beverage offer needs to be larger if the Waterfront is to have critical mass as a destination."

The report then considers a number of possible "commercial uses that could potentially operate on the waterfront"

These are:
restaurant/bar,
family restaurant/pub,
coffee shops
take away/drive thru
Indoor play
convenience food store
budget hotel

None of these are given a particularly glowing endorsement, because of the size of the site.

One proposed concept is a "kiosk cluster" of up to six smaller-scale kiosk based bars of a variety of businesses including surfer shacks, juice bars or ice cream parlour.

The section concludes "disappointingly we cannot find any developer interest in developing such a concept in the proposed location."
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1285 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33:58 am »
The problem is that the site is long and narrow, so unless they build out into the sea with another 'hotspot', as with the Porth Eirias site, there is very little opportunity for commercial development.

I love how they needed Consultants to come up with that conclusion, when any local person could have told CCBC that for free.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1286 on: May 18, 2015, 06:05:36 pm »
It does seem pretty obvious. I just see the sad irony of all this talk of building new attractions, hiring consultants, etc, when the obvious, perfectly-placed attraction is the one thing they're inent on demolishing.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1287 on: May 18, 2015, 07:33:08 pm »
Very true!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1288 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:48 pm »
   Did anyone visit what was called the Prom Day. Not sure of its new name although I should---there are plenty of posters around. And in particular how did it go on in its new location? Looking from the Toad eastwards it looked rather cramped. Do they still have market stalls etc?
   Oh, and a prize to someone in the signage department. Approaching from Llandudno there was a nice clear sign with a disabled symbol on it pointing to the car park at the back of Rhos Fynych. And if that isn't over a mile distance from the start of all the activities then I will have to redo my google map.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1289 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:37 am »
It does seem pretty obvious. I just see the sad irony of all this talk of building new attractions, hiring consultants, etc, when the obvious, perfectly-placed attraction is the one thing they're inent on demolishing.
A very good point!  $good$