Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 416656 times)

Offline Yelboh

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1260 on: April 07, 2015, 11:39:13 pm »
I will be really interested to see how this plays out.  Tremendous success or epic failure?  I have a feeling that it will be one end of the spectrum or the other, but which one?  It's possibly not as clear cut as we may think.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1261 on: April 08, 2015, 07:33:19 am »
My money is on epic failure!  All this nice weather, lots of people on the new beach and the skip is shut! All of those people looking for a simple cafe must be delighted to know that in many months time a bistro will be open there. They should supply what the people want not impose an unwanted bistro on them!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1262 on: April 08, 2015, 07:48:41 am »
I am really interested too in how it turns out and also who is going to be the first forum member to try it out and post their findings on here?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1263 on: April 08, 2015, 08:39:53 am »
Are they also having a cafe in there (not vending machines ) so the families that use the beach can be catered for . Also can anyone see this Bryn leaving London to work here ,We don,t think .we all know who will be 1st to the table for their freebie .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1264 on: April 08, 2015, 09:11:40 am »
My main concern about the Bistro is that it's not inclusive - it will obviously be a high end venue that will be of no use to the many families that use the beach. Will the general public still be able to use the toilets once the Bistro is open?

Why can't CCBC reintroduce one or two refreshment kiosks between Porth Eirias and the Pier to cater for the families? There's room in one or two places for a kiosk plus 10 tables/chairs.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1265 on: April 14, 2015, 07:47:12 pm »
Driving past at 8.30 am I noticed there were 7 camper vans parked on the upper level car park at "the Skip". A use at last, albeit breaking local bye laws, perhaps!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1266 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:58 pm »
Perhaps it's going to be the latest site for the travelling community?       ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1267 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:54 am »
The Pedestrian Tunnel between the Pier and Town centre was recently refurbished at great expense, complete with fancy new uplighters installed in the paving to illuminate it. Sad to report I walked though it last week and saw that most of the expensive new lights have already been smashed, apparently by people dropping bricks on them.  &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #1268 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:29 am »
The Pedestrian Tunnel between the Pier and Town centre was recently refurbished at great expense, complete with fancy new uplighters installed in the paving to illuminate it. Sad to report I walked though it last week and saw that most of the expensive new lights have already been smashed, apparently by people dropping bricks on them.  &shake&
"People" is a very generous description of this form of low life.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1269 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:57 am »
I see that both Donkey Rides and Bike Hire people have appeared on the new section of prom/beach. The total lack of refreshments on that section of Prom is a big problem still, though.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1270 on: April 21, 2015, 09:25:13 am »
Nice to see the donkeys there the other day but it does pose the question that as that bit of sand doesn't get washed over at high tide 1) who will clean up after them? 2) Should dogs be allowed on that patch at this time of year ? 3) With one of the best and most accessible bits of sand on the North Wales coast which cost a fortune would it not be a good idea to give it a rake to clear up rubbish and debris deposited by the tide on a daily basis?
To pay for the latter rent out another kiosk!

Offline BMD

« Reply #1271 on: April 21, 2015, 10:31:34 am »
I walk along that part of the beach almost daily, and I can't say I've noticed the problem of accumulated rubbish. It seems to be under control. There's the natural debris left by the tide, but I don't find that off-putting.

I think, so far, the rejuvenated beach has been a huge success. So on this point the council deserves some credit (to the extent they were involved). But what a wasted opportunity! No cafe or facilities. It could be so much better if they'd had some common sense regarding the pier and Porth Eirias.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1272 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:10 am »
It could be so much better if they'd had some common sense regarding the pier and Porth Eirias.
Definitely.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1273 on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:49 pm »
 First the donkeys. Over twenty years ago Rhyl were considering making it compulsory for the beach donkeys to be fitted with nappies. Serious. The donkey men were not happy with the idea.
 Secondly, the problem with the proposed celebrity kitchen gas and/or electric not being up to scratch and the Hugh cost of putting it right.
 Well, what looks like a power substation is being built there. Plus a trench along the prom, presumably to take gas pipes or electricity cables. The trench started from the substation area and has now, believe it or not, reached past the pier and still heading west towards Rhos. So far what's that? A quarter of a mile? And it's certainly not finished yet. That seems one hell of a long way to connect up to a gas supply. It cannot possible be electric. After all there is wind generated electric on the site

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1274 on: April 23, 2015, 05:09:14 am »
It cannot possible be electric. After all there is wind generated electric on the site

The type of generation combined with the position of the place means no reliance can be placed on the electricity generation there.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.