Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 413852 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront: Design CHANGES!
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »
To be honest I do not like any of it, I would prefer the money to be spent on the pier instead.

I'd rather see the pier renovated too. And I suspect that if a poll was conducted, it'd show a large majority stating a preference for strolling along a beautiful Victorian pier - over jet-skiing, etc.

My concern is that the 'Watersports Hotspot' building is going through planning permission with little resistance - based on a false perception that there is public support for the design. The public support was for the original winning design - relative to the other entries (most of which looked like non-starters - almost Mickey Mouse proposals). The design being built is completely different in appearance from the "approved" winning entry (even though it has the same underlying concept).

It would be tragic if a basically unattractive building were built in that spot - based on false perceptions of what the "public" "approves" of.

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:22 pm »
Somebody is trying to slip through a change to what  most people are happy with.

Dont let it happen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »
Nice Blog, BMD, please keep up the good work. I agree that the original design has been compromised significantly, no doubt to save a few quid. For such a prominent building on the renovated  Promenade, this is not really acceptable - it should be designed and built to the highest standards.

Offline BMD

« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2011, 08:04:18 am »
Thanks, Dave (and mull & Merddin),

I was quite encouraged last night after there was some debate about this on Twitter, leading to a BBC reporter contacting me. It's clear that my concerns are shared by many (including by some people who are well-informed on the issue).

So, hopefully, there'll be some further debate... and maybe even reappraisal if enough people express their concerns.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
I'm no expert on planning, but I was under the impression that you had to stick to the plans that were approved
otherwise it had to be approved again?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2011, 10:49:11 am »
I'm no expert on planning, but I was under the impression that you had to stick to the plans that were approved
otherwise it had to be approved again?

The planning permission is here: http://tinyurl.com/c3ngg64

It was submitted in early August and approved in October. So, the altered design has been formally approved - although perhaps not "approved" in public opinion (since the public has not been well informed about the design changes).

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:45 pm »
With planning though I believe that it has to comply with planning law and if it does public opinion does not matter planning wise (I must stress that's not how it should be!!)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »
Excellent blog, BMD;  let's hope your shrewd observations cause more than a few ripples.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »
Excellent blog, BMD;  let's hope your shrewd observations cause more than a few ripples.

Thanks, Ian. It seems to have done that, I'm glad to say. I've been contacted by the local press for quotes, and the Clwyd West MP has just been in touch. Hopefully there'll be some press coverage of the issue, then some real debate/scrutiny in the days to follow...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »
Did the Daily Post get in touch?

Offline BMD

« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »
Did the Daily Post get in touch?

Not to my knowledge, no.

Offline BMD

« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »
Update: Daily Post has now left me a message to get in touch; not spoken with them yet.

The local paper, North Wales Pioneer has the story fairly prominently printed on page 3 of this morning's edition, with a few of the images from my blog showing old/new design comparison. There's also an online version showing one (different) picture here: http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/108797/-featureless-fear-over-latest-design-for-bay-hotspot.aspx

Offline dwsi

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2011, 06:59:28 pm »
I've forwarded the blog post to a BBC reporter i know, he's very interested in the story

Offline BMD

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:32 am »
I've forwarded the blog post to a BBC reporter i know, he's very interested in the story

Thanks for that, dwsi. I'll check the BBC for coverage. 

There's a piece in the Daily Post today which quotes me. It's not great as I'm quoted out of context (the comment about "sharp internal corners" sounds like a health & safety thing - and I didn't use the word "sharp"). Also the comparison of the design to a "skip" isn't mine - I was reporting what others had said.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/12/15/first-phase-of-colwyn-bay-s-new-6-5m-prom-complete-55578-29956774/

The statement from Hywel Jones (Project Manager) is the same thing that was printed yesterday in the Pioneer: “Last year, the design competition presented six different concepts/ideas. The winning design was refined and since then numerous consultation events have taken place. Planning approval was given in October and the design has not changed since then.”

Well, nobody is claiming the design has changed since October. The point is whether the "numerous consultations" adequately publicised the regressive changes (or "refinements") to the design prior to submission for planning permission in August. Bear in mind that the council uploaded a promotional video showing the original design in all its glory - in June.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »
Some stunning images of the construction work here:

http://www.antclausen.com/2011/08/19/volker-stevin-colwyn-bay-seafront/