Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 415581 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1185 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »
 L0L  L0L  :laugh:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1186 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:17 pm »
 looking at some of yesterdays photos, does anybody know how the storm affected the new prom works?.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/trees-blown-down-ferries-cancelled-7969379#rlabs=17

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1187 on: October 28, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »
nice new beach near the pier today---on the prom, as a result of the recent windy weather
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1188 on: November 10, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »
I had a look at the little exhibition of photos, etc (in Poth Eirias) this morning. There was no lighting in that section of the Skip, and when I looked up at the ceiling I couldn't see any lighting fittings at all (unlike in the other sections, where the lights seem to be on all the time). It was too dark for an exhibition (it was clouded over at the time, but not exactly dull outside - not enough light coming through the window for vertically screened exhibits).

Three guys manning reception - one of the surfer/watersports dudes and two others. God knows what they were doing, or who is paying them (if they are paid).

Apart from me, and one other person looking at the exhibition, the place was empty. All those rows and rows of unused lockers, showers, changing room space - enough for a stadium. As usual, I was saddened - I pictured what it could be: a modest, but elegant cafe with unobstructed views facing out to sea, perhaps completely separate from a shed to keep the kayaks, etc, in.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1189 on: November 10, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »
I pictured what it could be: a modest, but elegant cafe with unobstructed views facing out to sea, perhaps completely separate from a shed to keep the kayaks, etc, in.
Indeed...it should have been simple, effective and considerably cheaper than £5m!

Online SteveH

« Reply #1190 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:09 pm »
Three guys manning reception - one of the surfer/watersports dudes and two others. God knows what they were doing, or who is paying them (if they are paid)
Hi BMD,   I looked at the "watersports" a few weeks ago, still not sure who's paying who, they appear to be receiving funding?...see what you think.

"Colwyn Bay Watersports is a community interest company working with Conwy County Borough Council to deliver watersports tuition from the Porth Eirias site."  http://www.colwynbaywatersports.co.uk/

A Community Interest Company
http://www.london-registrars.co.uk/business-formation-services/cic-incorporation/?gclid=CPvw6Y2-8MECFanMtAodBSMAow

Offline BMD

« Reply #1191 on: November 10, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »
Hi Steve - My FOI request (16 June) did ask for rent/expenditure details relating to "the community interest company, Colwyn Bay Watersports": https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/expenditure_income_for_porth_eir/new

The partial response I got indicated that the council received a mere £1,500 in rent (presumably for the financial year, although no details on time periods were given). No answer was forthcoming on any council expenditure regarding Colwyn Bay Watersports - I've just sent a follow-up request, but they're 4 months overdue already.

Tom Davidson previously mentioned that he didn't think the watersports guys were being paid by the council for any reception-type duties. Presumably they get paid somehow, for something? It's all a bit of a mystery to me, especially as everything is supposed to fund itself these days - I don't see vast amounts of cash coming in for hiring out a few kayaks, etc.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1192 on: November 10, 2014, 07:04:35 pm »
Send a complaint to the Information commissioner.  They are very helpful.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Online SteveH

« Reply #1193 on: November 10, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
The partial response I got indicated that the council received a mere £1,500 in rent (presumably for the financial year, although no details on time periods were given). No answer was forthcoming on any council expenditure regarding Colwyn Bay Watersports - I've just sent a follow-up request, but they're 4 months overdue already.
I am a cynical b*****, but my first instinct was we are paying for it somehow.
"I don't see vast amounts of cash coming in for hiring out a few kayaks, etc."
According to their web page and looking at the photos they have a lot of gear, who paid for that?
Also take into account the seasonal aspect, who's going out now?
It will be interesting when you get your reply.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1194 on: November 10, 2014, 08:16:20 pm »
I may complain if I don't get a reply this time (on FOI).

On Porth Eirias, events certainly show there's good reason to be cynical. I think it's good that the facility is there for kayaking, etc. But if it's a drain on council funds in any way, there should be transparency (the Mickey Mouse rent suggests they are effectively being subsidised).

I sometimes wonder what the pier pressure group people think of the apparent massive waste of money on the Skip (after all the work they put into getting lottery funds, redevelopment plans, etc, for the pier).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1195 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
Porth Eirias is a disaster, all that money spent on a development that was neither wanted or needed, just to bolster a few egos at CCBC. A terrible waste of money.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1196 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:39 pm »
Any news on this Bistro farce?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1197 on: November 11, 2014, 02:21:59 pm »
Yes, Fanny Craddock is waiting for a special saucepan set delivery, they have to be custom made at a cost of £3,000,000. 26p to fit the unusually shaped kitchen space! All should be well after that!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1198 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »
Is she taking on Keith Floyd as her assistant?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1199 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
Yes, but he needs custom shaped ovens at a cost of £5,000,000!

(I just make these figures up as I go along, much like CCBC do! ) 😉
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas