Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 414583 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #1155 on: October 17, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
Shouldnt this shelter be in the obsticles to tourism section.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1156 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
Shouldnt this shelter be in the obsticles to tourism section.
No....... it should be in a land fill site... ;D

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1157 on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:04 pm »
WATCH: Stretch of Colwyn Bay Promenade re-opens

A stretch of Colwyn Bay Promenade was yesterday re-opened to the public.
Councillors gathered to mark the latest phase in £6.7m improvements.

Colwyn Bay’s existing sea wall has been repaired and a section of promenade between Porth Eirias and the Pier has been raised and resurfaced.

The work, funded by the Welsh Government, Welsh European Funding Office and Conwy Council, began in March but has finished two months late.
On the delay, Cllr Mike Priestley, Cabinet Member for Environment, Roads and Facilities said: “Both Conwy County Borough Council and the contractors (Galliford Try) made every effort to deliver the project in a timely manner but sometimes unforeseen challenges can arise during engineering schemes of this complexity and scale.
"For example, we had to amend some of the design details after finding unexpected ground conditions in some of the parking bay areas.”
He later Tweeted that a constituent had called the work “fantastic”.

Video and photos   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/watch-stretch-colwyn-bay-promenade-7955019

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1158 on: October 17, 2014, 08:44:26 pm »
Have a look at the  daily post photos pic 8 the daft sods have nearly buried the hand rails  _))*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1159 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »
Have a look at the  daily post photos pic 8 the daft sods have nearly buried the hand rails  _))*
Picture 9 on mine.....See what you mean, looks as if they had to hose the steps before everybody arrived, very wet and clean.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1160 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:28 pm »
Maybe with a nice beach some people will venture to a dip in the briny.  They could get a mouthful, or haven't you noticed that doggy doos floats!
 ZXZ
I was walking down there yesterday and in the half hour i was there i saw at least 2 people not clear up after their dogs.  Kids were out on the water Windsurfing and tots were running around too and playing in the sand, a few youngsters were performing some great somersaults onto the soft sand.  Come on council get your act together now, at least make it clear ,there should be zero tolerance to the folk who dont clear up after their animals. Large fines.  I love dogs and have been a dog owner myself, but all that beach looked like to me was a convenience for folk with their dogs.  All that soft fine sand that will never get cleaned by the tide. Doesnt make sense to me

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: October 18, 2014, 08:42:29 am »

I suspect that's necessary, given the depth of sand they're trying to achieve. They also have to allow for sand erosion.

there should be zero tolerance to the folk who don't clear up after their animals. Large fines.

Perhaps add the beach to the CCTV coverage? Irresponsible dog owners are dangerous, particularly in a rural area, as infected dogs can transmit Neosporosis – which can cause abortions in cattle, Sarcocystosis – which can cause neurological disease and death in sheep, and also Toxocariasis - which can infect very young children (and older children with less cautious parents). Given all the above, and the fact that it only takes microscopic amounts of the faeces to be ingested to cause infection there's a pretty strong case for banning dogs from beaches completely or instituting 'dog-only' zones as Mike suggested yesterday.  One chilling thought is that almost all dogs are born with Toxocara eggs, so puppies are infective until they're vaccinated.

There are about 100 new cases of Toxocara infection diagnosed each year, although the most worrying - blindness - is thankfully extremely rare. Neosporosis is far more prevalent - and growing - and can decimate entire herds of cattle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1162 on: October 18, 2014, 09:07:50 am »
Ian have a look at the pics in the daily post ,they had just finished the job nobody in their right mind would bury the hand rails ,mind you we are talking ccbc ,I walked on there last week a guy watched his dog poo went and kicked the sand over it (too far away to give him a bag ).

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:04 am »
Ian have a look at the pics in the daily post ,they had just finished the job nobody in their right mind would bury the hand rails

I did look at the pics, Norman, which is why I made the comment.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1164 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:11 am »
Keep it clean - no messing
A Campaign which calls on local communities to get involved in an attempt to tackle the problem of dog fouling has been launched.
keep it Clean - No Messing is a new hard hitting campaign which aims to reinforce the law and seeks support from residents to play their part in preventing persistent fouling from affecting our communities with the message - DON'T STAND FOR IT. or in it?
Targeting areas
To reinforce efforts to tackle dog fouling in specific areas of concern deemed 'hotspot' areas, signage will be put up and letters delivered in the neighbourhood calling on residents to report the persons responsible.
Promoting the message
Council vehicles will also display signage with a dedicated telephone number and email address with which members of the public can contact the Council in confidence to report those who offend.

We will continue to take a proactive approach in enforcement of environmental crime. Anyone who is caught allowing their dog to foul in a public place and failing to clean it up will face a £75 Fixed Penalty Notice. Failure to pay the Notice will result in prosecution with a maximum fine of £1000. This is the same for those who commit the offence of littering.
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=680&doc=34699&Language=1

The Dogs on Leads Order 2012
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=9805&doc=30612&Language=1

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/580/Dogs_on_Leads_Control_Order__Eng_Signed.pdf

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1165 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:17 pm »
I was looking into "Dogs and Beaches" and was quite surprised by the amount of information, especially for tourists, and the importance they placed on unrestricted dog friendly beaches/accommodation.
As we are already discussing "litter wardens" as an obstacle to tourism, this problem needs to be treated carefully, and take into account both residents and tourism.
From the web.
Our top 10 dog friendly beaches in Wales
"If you’re planning a holiday to Wales this summer, no doubt you’ll be visiting the country’s many beautiful beaches.
From the tip of Anglesey to the toes of Pembrokeshire, there are some fantastic dog friendly beaches in Wales, and all of our top ten have no restrictions at all, meaning that even during the summer months you and your dog can splash in the sea and catch sticks on the sand!
No 1...COLWYN BAY....A beautiful Victorian seaside resort, the pier juts out across the water and holds (cafes, little shops, and kiosks for a lunchtime treat!)? Your dog will love running along the sand and over the rocks, and there are some great opportunities for birdwatching.
Conwy Morfa
At low tide, a wide sandy bay is exposed perfect for long walks with a four legged friend and it’s a good beach for birdwatching."

I am assuming that beach dog mess is picked up by responsible owners, and they do not just kick sand over it, as mentioned before?  and we are only looking at the irresponsible?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1166 on: October 20, 2014, 04:24:38 pm »
Keep it clean - no messing
A Campaign which calls on local communities to get involved in an attempt to tackle the problem of dog fouling has been launched.
keep it Clean - No Messing is a new hard hitting campaign which aims to reinforce the law and seeks support from residents to play their part in preventing persistent fouling from affecting our communities with the message - DON'T STAND FOR IT. or in it?
Targeting areas
To reinforce efforts to tackle dog fouling in specific areas of concern deemed 'hotspot' areas, signage will be put up and letters delivered in the neighbourhood calling on residents to report the persons responsible.
Promoting the message
Council vehicles will also display signage with a dedicated telephone number and email address with which members of the public can contact the Council in confidence to report those who offend.

We will continue to take a proactive approach in enforcement of environmental crime. Anyone who is caught allowing their dog to foul in a public place and failing to clean it up will face a £75 Fixed Penalty Notice. Failure to pay the Notice will result in prosecution with a maximum fine of £1000. This is the same for those who commit the offence of littering.
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=680&doc=34699&Language=1

The Dogs on Leads Order 2012
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=9805&doc=30612&Language=1

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/580/Dogs_on_Leads_Control_Order__Eng_Signed.pdf

"Council vehicles will also display signage with a dedicated telephone number and email address with which members of the public can contact the Council in confidence to report those who offend. "

How Orwellian! But either way, surely without evidence they can't do anything, so what is the point?

Why is the fine the same for littering? A huge pile of excrement on a beach where kids play is a hell of a lot worse than a dropped sweet packet or cigarette butt  &shake&

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1167 on: October 20, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »
I think the Council would wish for Informants to retrieve the evidence, pass on a description of the offending animal and then invest in using DNA testing to correctlt identify the culprit!

_))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1168 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
B2R...Why is the fine the same for littering? A huge pile of excrement on a beach where kids play is a hell of a lot worse than a dropped sweet packet or cigarette butt

I think the tickets are pre printed with pictures.....easier for the wardens      WWW

Offline alw

« Reply #1169 on: October 20, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »
I drove along Colwyn bay prom a few times yesterday and each time I was in a long queue of slow moving traffic that kept stopping.  I finally learned that each queue had a land-train at the front of it.

I know one of these works between the Llandudno promenades, but how long as Colwyn Bay and Rhos had the land-train ?
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.