Author Topic: Llandudno Traders in 1901  (Read 57681 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Traders in 1901
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »
I was interested Tosh, and commented previously.... but they go back so far now that I can't think of anything to say!

Thanks though, I enjoy all that social history stuff.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tosh

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 11:09:04 am »
Thanks Fester, I would have died for information like this when I was compiling my family tree.
It is nice to have a little encouragement on these things just to show that people are watching and using the stuff.
Tosh
 D)

Offline ingriddeleyva@gmail.com

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
Hello Helig, I am looking for any Weissbeck in Llandudno  and conway ,my grandmother was the youngest of the seven children from Frankfurt  ,growing up in Scarborough,Ive been looking for family in Wales ,we have been back to Frankfurt recently ,please ask any family to e-mail me,Ingrid

Offline sunbri

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:08 am »
Hi, One of my sister in Laws Susheela Lourie(Ruthin.) asked me to post the underneath re Llandudno traders in 1901 Herbert Tomkinson Printer
    We are the adopted family of Mr
Herbert Tomkinson,printer in Llandudno.One of his daughters a medical
missionary,Sister Ethel Tomkinson adopted a small Indian girl and
brought her home to Llandudno/Colwyn bay around 1919 when she was 3yrs
old.She was mostly brought up by another of Herbert;s daughter,Ida.
Mr Tomkinson was always called Christmas Father by our mother, Monica."
Thanks for the link.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:38 pm »
Hello Helig, I am looking for any Weissbeck in Llandudno  and conway ,my grandmother was the youngest of the seven children from Frankfurt  ,growing up in Scarborough,Ive been looking for family in Wales ,we have been back to Frankfurt recently ,please ask any family to e-mail me,Ingrid
Elsie Weissbeck married a George F Kerridge in 1922,  - Kerridge was the name of the proprieter of the Alexandra Hotel in 1929. There are a few mentions of this family  on the forum

Offline Lynne C

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 02:15:39 pm »
 ZXZ recognised a lot of my own ancestors here as traders very interesting thank you

Offline Hoosons Corner

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
Good evening from Northern Cyprus
I am a desendent of the Hooson family. Grocers, chemists etc in Llandudno. In your listings, isn't it Esmor Hooson? The family all lived in Abbey Road.
Best wishes
Carol
Daughter of Mary Brenda Hooson, daughter of Edwin Hooson

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 06:20:12 pm »
Your relatives must have lived at what is now Holcombe House.
It has had a number of names, including Wilberforce House.
Best Wishes to you too
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline pwelsh1@talk21.com

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:31 am »
Dear Tosh,
My family have lived in Llandudno since the late 1860's.

My 95 year old mother keeps asking us if we know anything about a family/trader called Dunbabin who had a small shop on the other side of the road to the current Marks and Spencer. I can remember the Telefusion TV rental shop at about that site.

We would be grateful for any help you can give.

PJW

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 08:28:05 am »
In the 1922 guide, a W Dunbabin had the Harrington Hotel (71 Mostyn Street) which was opposite where Telefusion (once Brown's) was.

Offline pwelsh1@talk21.com

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 02:56:51 pm »
Thank you very much Cambrian!
PJW

Offline Hoosons Corner

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 06:55:03 pm »
Re Holcombe House
Yes, my great grandparents lived here. I have stayed at the hotel twice over the past couple of years. It has had a few name changes. It was once Bronalt. My grand father Esmor Hooson MPS father of Bill Hooson MPS built a house in Vicarage Rd and named it Bronalt.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2017, 09:34:49 am »
I think "Bronallt" is still called that but the street has now been numbered.  It is Vicarage Avenue rather than Vicarage Road.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 09:17:53 am »
Interesting piece of history in this story.......

Could Meghan Markle's wedding ring be made by Wartski's of Llandudno?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/could-meghan-markles-wedding-ring-14089919

Mosaic on doorstep of Goldsmiths Jewellers, Mostyn Street, Llandudno, formerly Wartski's (Image: North Wales Weekly News)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
Elsie Weissbeck married a George F Kerridge in 1922,  - Kerridge was the name of the proprieter of the Alexandra Hotel in 1929. There are a few mentions of this family  on the forum

I was in the Conwy Archives today and was looking through the Marriage Register for All Saints Church Deganwy when I noticed the marriage record.      The entry was at No 23 and was on the 16th October 1922,at the time G F Kerridge was a widower aged 29 and his address was the North Western Hotel Llandudno.   His father was Albert Abraham Kerridge (deceased)
Elsie Weissbeck was a spinster aged 24 and lived at 2 Clifton Road  Llandudno, her father was Louis Weissbeck a jeweller