Author Topic: Llandudno Traders in 1901  (Read 58050 times)

Offline Tosh

Re: Llandudno Traders in 1901
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32:31 am »
Can anyone shed any light on the Hydrotherapy place at Craigside.
When I looked on the aerial photos from the 1920s, ( Britain from above ), it shows the building down on the beach and a feeder road going across to Colwyn Road.
In the shot is Lympley Lodge which is still there.
If you travel now along Colwyn Road going up the bank just past Ael Y Bryn there is a rusty old iron gate.
I wonder if that was the entrance to the establishment?
These are the actual aerial photos taken July 1920.
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw003021?search=craigside&ref=1
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw003026?search=craigside&ref=0
Tosh

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »
Was this place the forerunner to The Craigside Hydro Hotel?

There were buildiings on the fields where the access road is in these photos. These were in the ownership of The Craigside Hydro I think, at least they were in the 1960s. I recall there being an ice rink there. It was no longer in use in the mid 1960s. There were bunkers of some sort underneath. It could be these were from the Second World War.

At the side of the ice rink buildings there was a house. In the mid 1960s this was occupied by the Kendall-Jackson family, he was the son of the Kendall-Jacksons who managed the Hydro Hotel. I used to visit them as I was friends with a relative of theirs.

Helig.

Offline Nemesis

Re: Llandudno Traders in 1880
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »
This is another one I have discovered.
It is Llandudno in 1880 so enjoy.
I will see if I can get anything in the 1870s but it is doubtful.
Happy scrolling.
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?fn=00009hyr.tif&dn=CCL14012Atif&zoom=s

Thanks for this one Tosh. I have been researching the history of our house for a number of years and have found the owner of it listed here in the 1880 files.
I have forwarded the link to a lady in the states who is a relative of this gent and has been researching her family tree, so I'm sure she will be thrilled to see him listed there.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 05:50:01 pm »
Thanks Helig.
When I wrote the first article for 1901 I think the researcher must have had instructions to do a quick job because the two previous ones of 1880 & 1895 are much more detailed.

Do you suppose that the old rusty gates I mentioned was the actual access road to these places?

The Craigside Hydropathic in 1895 had J Smith as its managing director.
Henry Thomas, surgeon, is listed as the proprietor of what is now The Hydro in Neville Crescent in 1895.

Sometimes I keep finding bits of information as I re-read the articles, fascinating.
When I did this project for the village where I was born in Staffs, I discovered that my grandmother had lived at a shop with her aunt and uncle who had fostered her from birth.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »
No problem Nemesis, I am glad to be of assistance.
Keep searching and don't forget,,,,,, nostalgia is a thing of the past.
Tosh

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Helig

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 11:34:15 am »
Hello Tosh,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I think the gates would have been for the access road to these buildings.

When I used to go there, I was told that the main buildings had been an ice rink, no idea of the dates this was in use. It may have been pre WW2 as I do recall being told there were bunkers underneath (said to be rat infested, so I didn't venture) which dated to that era.

This link refers to a bomb falling on the pumping station of The Craigside Hydro Hotel, this was on the beach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/northwestwales/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8977000/8977622.stm

I don't know when the Craigside Hydro Hotel was built, does anyone have an idea?

I am not sure if it was used for military purposes in WW2. Most of the hotels like this were taken over then.

I shall try to find the answers on the census returns but suspect the Craigside Hydro dated after 1911. It was privately owned but taken over by Wallace Arnold in later years.

Helig.

Offline Jack

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 01:16:58 pm »
The Craigside Hydro, like many other Llandudno hotels, was used by the Inland Revenue during WW2.  The bomb that fell and destroyed the pumbing station was one of three that was dropped.  A second landed harmlessly on the beach and the third up on Nant y Gamar, the crater still apparent today.

Offline Helig

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »
I had an afterthought regarding the buildings in the field opposite The Craigside Hydro Hotel. Could these have accommodated baths for the Hydro side of it originally?

Helig.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 06:18:50 pm »
I can remember being taken to an ice show there in the 1950s. Can't be anymore specific-- sorry.

Offline Tosh

Re: Llandudno Traders in 1868
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:29 pm »
This will really get you going, Conway & Aberconway, their spelling not mine in wait for it 1868.
All the local vilages are mixed in so you will have to wade through it slowly.
It might be best to print it out, any way, enjoy.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?fn=00009vqv.tif&dn=CCL14009tif&zoom=s

Offline Tosh

Re: Llandudno Traders in 1868
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »
I liked this in particular.
On the last page under Miscellaneous there are 3 men named Owen Jones.
The first one is a Tanner.
The second is the Keeper of the Castle Key.
The third one is the Inspector of Nuisances and Road Surveyor.
They don't make job titles like that anymore.

Offline Tosh

Re: Llandudno Traders in 1835
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »
I cannot go back any further than this, 1835 is when these directories were first written.
This one is concerned with Aberconway (Conwy) as Llandudno does not appear to have been established as a place of trade yet.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?fn=00004mng.tif&dn=LUL1001Ptif&zoom=s

The usual rules apply, click GO and Next Image as required., you can use the Zoom facility if you wish.
It goes on to Abergele etc.
Enjoy.
Tosh

Offline Tosh

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 12:07:29 pm »
I know that I said I couldn't go any further back than 1835 but, in a moment of madness I tried the system again and stumbled across a few bits and pieces about 1828.
What was the name of the member of parliament for Aberconway in 1828?
Who was the landlord of the Liverpool Arms on The Quay in 1828?
William Hughes was the Flax Dresser but what did a Flax Dresser do?
How do you suppose they travelled fro place to place back then?
These facts an many, many more will be revealed shortly.
Answers on a post card to £$%^&*&*&*£"**.
 D)

Offline Tosh

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »
Here it is, Aberconway in 1828.
Click on the link ang hit GO if you need to, then page forward etc.
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?pnum=526&zoom=&dn=LUL1001Ttif&fn=

There probably won't be any more due to the resounding lack of interest shown by everyone.
Enjoy.