Author Topic: Yre Rofft / Yre Roffl and Y Pentre Rhinleding  (Read 46187 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Yre Rofft / Yre Roffl and Y Pentre Rhinleding
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:29 am »
I posted something on the Forum about this but can't remember where I posted it.   From memory though someone else had a similar enquiry and the Librarian at Penrhyn Bay Library knew Ken Dibble and was prepared to go and see him and ask him about selling the books if that person was still interested.

Penrhyn Bay Library
Llandudno Road
Penrhyn Bay, LL30 3HN
Tel (01492) 548873

Offline jom

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 12:17:27 am »
Cheers, Hugo.

I've noted others had tried in the past (someone on "Curious Fox" too but not seen any replies which offer a practicle solution.  Many thanks.  Will email someone at the library in the hope I track down the same person.  Think the books may hold clues to other Llandudno branches of my tree.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2019, 11:55:31 am »
I was in the Archives last week looking at the Llangelynin Baptism records for someone and came across this item.

Christening 22nd December 1911
Richard son of Moses Jones Derwen Deg by Ann his wife

I remembered the name and just thought that I'd add it on here

Offline jom

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2019, 12:25:24 am »
Hi Hugo ... Wow, what a stroke of luck.  I've not stumbled across this chap before.  I've had a look on line but can't find the same record, sadly.  I presume you have a date typo and that it's meant to be 1811.  I shall continue to investigate him, but what a memory you have.

Just had a look at my records and note a 25 year old Richard JONES with Moses and Ann in 1841 at Derwen Deg.  I had made a comment that I didn't know who he was as I couldn't find a Richard belonging to them.  I had even wondered if he might be a nephew or possibly the neighbour's son (A Richard JONES).  Obviously the census in 1841 rounded the ages up the nearest 5, but it is likely to be the same chap.  As I say, I'll carry on investigating

Hope you and yours are keeping well

Many thanks
 ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:33 am »
Hi Jom,     I've copied it down wrongly in my notes and put down 1911, but in actual fact it must be 1811 as I was looking through the Llangelynin Baptism Register for the years 1785 to 1811 when I saw the entry and remembered the name and address
From memory only,  I think that Moses died about 1842 and was buried in Gyffin but I've never been able to find the grave there.
The ref for the Baptism record in the Conwy Archive is CEP 19/1/3

The Richard in the 1841 Census is probably your Richard if everything else fits but if you need anything following up please post it on here

I did have a look at British History online and put Henryd in and the Derwen Deg mine appears in the top right hand side of the map but don't know if the mine belonged to Moses

We are keeping well over here in Wales and hope that you and your are keeping well too

Offline Hugo

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »
Jom, just an after thought but you can see the Baptism for Richard online.    You are probably aware of the site but just in case put into Google  " FreeREG"    and then enter his name.  To simplify the search put these dates in 1810 & 1812.
Then scroll down on the counties and click on Caernarfonshire don't click on any of the Parishes but click on Baptism and sent it and you'll find Richard in Llangelynnin

The only thing it doesn't say is the abode but the original records do and that is why I made a note of it.    I was looking for someone else and that's why I only noticed Richard's name but I wonder if there are other children there who had left home by the time of the 1841 Census?    Just food for thought

Offline jom

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2019, 01:20:15 am »
Thanks Hugo.  I do have others offspring all baptised Gyffin.  I have copies of their records.  Seems they appear on free reg too, which I have used before but forget about from time to time

Seems as though Moses and Anne had 9 children
Hugh Bp Jan 1798 Buried Feb 1798
John Bp Jan 1798 (same day as Hugh)
Mary Bp 1800
Hugh Bp 1802 Buried 1803
Elizabeth Bp 1803
Hugh Bp 1806 Buried 1877 (as you may recall finding his greatly overgrown grave in the Glanwydden Cemetery with his wife Sarah)
Ellin Bp 1809
Richard Bp 1811
Anne Bp 1815

Thanks again.  That's solved a query very nicely

;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2019, 05:14:42 pm »
Hi Jom,    I know how you like to be certain on your research so I took a couple of photos when I was at the Archives today.

One is the Baptism record of Richard Jones who was Baptised in the Llangelynnin Parish Church in 1811, his is the very last entry in that particular Register

The other photo was taken of the Burial Register for the Gyffin Parish in 1842 so Moses must be buried in Gyffin but I can't find his grave in the records available.   
Just for your information the Gyffin records for births, banns, marriages and deaths are from 1687 to 1970

Offline jom

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2019, 12:13:19 am »
That's great, Hugo.  Thank you so much.  You recall me well  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:03 am »
I was at the old Church of Llangelynnin yesterday and thought that you would like to see the Church where Richard Jones was Baptised.
It is one of the remotest Churches in North Wales and the octagonal font is probably the 13th or 14th century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkVCIomhqKk

Offline jom

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2019, 02:54:37 am »
That's brilliant, Hugo.  Thank you so much.  You're very kind. $cool$.  By the way I believe Moses was from Llangelynnin.  He was certainly of that parish at the time of his marriage to Ann HUGHES in 1797.  So double whammy.   $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2019, 07:51:02 pm »
I was in the Archives today and just in case I had a look at the Llangelynnin Baptism records to see if I could see anything for Moses Jones.
Those records go back to 1733 but I had a look at the records from 1738 to 1784 and could see no entry for a Moses Jones.   Sorry about that, but I was hoping that he would have been there.  He was probably Baptised but the question is where?

Offline jom

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2019, 12:25:02 am »
No problem, Hugo.  Thank you for the thought.  I must have a concerted effort to find him myself.   $drink$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2019, 02:38:19 pm »
I checked the Gyffin Baptism records when I was in the Archives today and there was nothing for Moses Jones in the 1770's .    The Gyffin records actually go back to 1687 but the ones I looked at were not in that good a condition although they were quite legible
Moses must have been Baptised but where?    I do have one final thing to check and will look there next time

Offline jom

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2019, 02:30:33 am »
Hi Hugo

Many thanks for looking.  The only one I have found is a Moses JONES baptised Llanrwst 1774 son of Robert and Margaret.  I can't decipher the abode but I has been transcribed as "Maethebrwd".  How likely it is that this is mine, who can say.  All I know is that Moses and his wife Ann (nee Hughes) seemed pretty determined to have a son named Hugh.  2 died before one survived.  Would seem logical that they wanted a son named after one of their fathers perhaps or maybe it was taken from Ann's maiden name?  As far as I know, Moses and Ann did not use the names Robert or Margaret for their offspring.

Robert and Margaret JONES of Maethebrwd also had William Bp 1768, HUGH bp 1769, Elizabeth bp 1771, (Moses bp 1774 as above), Thomas bp 1775, Evan bp 1778 and John bp 1783

Not quite sure where all that gets us in reality!!!!