Author Topic: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors  (Read 69029 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »
Well, I have read the back issues.... briefly. It seems that there was a sudden change of stance and the reason given became a wish to fast track more pupils through an intensive swimming course rather than unacceptable risk to children.
Again, would be interesting to know how successful the new policy has been in terms of child numbers attending the pool and indeed their success rate in being able to swim.

As far as the first statement notifying the closure to the public was concerned it was likely of more concern that if anything did happen the council would be held responsible and someone would have to carry the can, rather than a real risk to the children being in the pool at the same time as adults.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:14 pm »
Dave, sadly, there was no consultation with the service users.

Had there been then it would soon have been established that the gym is used every morning by individuals on a variety of GP exercise referral schemes and many used to enjoy a visit into the pool after their one hour morning class.

Many also lost the opportunity to use the changing facilities before and after exercise whether they swam or not.

Sadly, those running the new swimming arrangements for the education department have failed to liaise with the swimming pool staff as to when they are returning after the Xmas break.

Somebody must know because most of these pupils are transported to the pool by coaches which have to be pre-booked.

FYI, I only use the gym on a regular basis in the mornings and notice these things as well as being fairly neutral.

Offline Dave

« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:24 pm »
Dave, sadly, there was no consultation with the service users.

Had there been then it would soon have been established that the gym is used every morning by individuals on a variety of GP exercise referral schemes and many used to enjoy a visit into the pool after their one hour morning class.

Many also lost the opportunity to use the changing facilities before and after exercise whether they swam or not.

Sadly, those running the new swimming arrangements for the education department have failed to liaise with the swimming pool staff as to when they are returning after the Xmas break.

Somebody must know because most of these pupils are transported to the pool by coaches which have to be pre-booked.

FYI, I only use the gym on a regular basis in the mornings and notice these things as well as being fairly neutral.

Interesting Bri, never realised about the re the Gym and GP referrals, although I'm aware that some users of the pool get to do so F.O.C as they have been sent on doctors orders too.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2018, 07:13:21 pm »
My fault as they are no longer just GP referrals to the gym here.

There are individuals who have had heart surgery and are cardiac referrals as well as others who have been lucky enough to have had a hip replacement.

Others are referred here for lifestyle changes rather than going on to a waiting list.

More significantly, none of them are allowed downstairs to use the changing rooms during the morning as well as also missing out on a swim after exercise.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2018, 09:54:37 pm »
I was there tonight, for gym and swim.
The lockers incidentally are still free for the next few days.

What I did notice however, was the longest list I’ve ever seen of impending closures over the next couple of weeks.
They write them in a flip chart in reception.

What really galled me the most, was next Thursday it is closed to the public in the evening, which is the ONLY night out of seven, that the public are allowed to swim! 
I pointed this out to the manageress, who in jest replied...
‘Yeah, it would be much easier to give you a list of when you ARE allowed to use the facilities ‘

It’s terrible really.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:10 pm »
Well, I must admit I have been contemplating making a return to the pool as I could do with getting fit again but from what I'm reading I think I'll have to start getting on my under used bike instead.
It certainly doesn't seem as if the council want to encourage anyone to use the facility if things are as reported here.
Would be interesting to see the accounts and usage figures though wouldn't it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:39 am »
Several people will leave and find a gym that isn't run by Scrooge Mcduck
:laugh:

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:21 pm »
What really galled me the most, was next Thursday it is closed to the public in the evening, which is the ONLY night out of seven, that the public are allowed to swim! 

I read the flip chart this morning and noticed that.

Whilst you have my sympathies, Fester, I thought it would have been helpful to have explained exactly why it has to close.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2018, 10:49:58 am »

I read the flip chart this morning and noticed that.

Whilst you have my sympathies, Fester, I thought it would have been helpful to have explained exactly why it has to close.

But I don’t know why Bri, do you?
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2018, 02:20:45 pm »
No, I don’t Fester but if you are still going to the gym on Thursday evening you may be in a position to see why?

e.g.- It maybe for pool maintenance

Btw, there was a couple hovering outside of the door to the gym this morning and followed us in.

Even though we were given the passcode downstairs we did not need it anyway.

I am of the opinion, many non-members use the gym without paying because the gym door is always open especially when there is a swimming gala on at weekends.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2018, 07:02:14 pm »
I’ve used the gym and pool 3 times this week Bri.
The gym door is always open, and in any case the passcode for it hasn’t changed in the last 4 months at least.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
One would expect the gym staff to at least lock it behind them and encourage others to do likewise.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2018, 06:50:38 am »
I am ashamed to say I a non swimmer. But I have had contacts with the council operated pool over the years. My pitch and putt course is also a municipal operated facility. So you would think they would work together to their mutual advantage.
  Wrong. Over the years I have left  leaflets, flyers, posters in the pool. . I now know it was a waste of time. Within a week they were in their bin. I used to point this out to them but I gave up years ago

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2018, 11:37:40 am »
Over the years I have left  leaflets, flyers, posters in the pool. . I now know it was a waste of time.
They probably got soaked through straight away, Mike?  :laugh:

Offline nwpo

« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »
One would expect the gym staff to at least lock it behind them and encourage others to do likewise.

The door to the Gym at Colwyn Bay is frequently left open to allow for ventilation as the air conditioning still doesn't work. Whilst they haven't fixed that they have installed a heat recovery system for the pool and boilers instead.