Author Topic: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors  (Read 69101 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno swimming pool
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:33 am »
Fester, you should have insisted on going into the gym to check the temperature gauge on the left wall just inside the entrance door.

If the AC wasn’t working then all the front windows will have been left open so at 6.30pm there is a fair chance the temperature will have substantially dropped especially as the sun will have been at the rear of the building for several hours.

I am also surprised to learn the AC wasn’t working because it was being serviced last week when I was in the gym.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2014, 08:47:07 am »
I am also surprised to learn the AC wasn’t working because it was being serviced last week when I was in the gym.

_))* _))*

That's probably why it wasn't working :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53:02 am »

To add insult to injury, the girl on reception didn't recall my phonecall, despite admitting it must have been her that took it.

Thanks for the heads up Fester. It saved a wasted trip for Mrs Medz today.

The good news is that at least they told Mrs Medz over the phone this morning that the gym was closed. The bad news is that they've no idea how long it's closed for.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2014, 10:43:10 am »
I'm probably being obtuse, but didn't gyms exist in the UK before air conditioning? I can understand how workouts in high temperatures could be dangerous but isn't there an element of personal responsibility involved?

I find the entire notion of them imposing a blanket shutdown simply because they can't guarantee the temperature and humidity of the place very nannyish.  I'd be inclined to find out the name of the individual who decided that the place has to cease functioning entirely because it might get a tad warmer than usual.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »
I see a Freedom of Information request coming on!   Already got one in regarding Porth Eirias.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:01 am »
I'm probably being obtuse, but didn't gyms exist in the UK before air conditioning? I can understand how workouts in high temperatures could be dangerous but isn't there an element of personal responsibility involved?

I find the entire notion of them imposing a blanket shutdown simply because they can't guarantee the temperature and humidity of the place very nannyish.  I'd be inclined to find out the name of the individual who decided that the place has to cease functioning entirely because it might get a tad warmer than usual.

Yes Ian, the entire purpose of a gym is to get warm... use up calories... and lose weight that way.

To prevent people from doing so, just because the temperature is a little above normal is ludicrous.
They will point to the fact that someone, somewhere in the world once collapsed in gym in high temperatures, and sued the Gym

Well, is it not equally valid for me to sue the gym if I had health complications from being overweight, due to them preventing me from using the facility?
Sounds silly, but it is the exact mirror of what they are doing.

Moreover, they cause me great STRESS each time I visit, by dreaming up new crazy ways to thwart me!   
Stress is a killer I hear?

Don't forget, only recently, they closed the ENTIRE pool for a full day because a child had been sick in it that morning.

I despair of the quality of management in the UK these days, in many walks of life.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2014, 07:12:57 am »
From what I have understood in the past, many people use the pool as a urinal as they can't be bothered to get out to go to the loo.  Maybe the pool should be closed every time that happens!
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2014, 08:41:25 am »
I just phoned Llandudno Swimming Centre to establish whether or not the gym has reopened.

Unfortunately, the AC has not yet been repaired and Tuesday is when the gym is expected to reopen.

They appear to have abandoned their long-standing practice of opening the windows and turn of the 2 x AC units to save electricity.

If it was still too warm then several portable fans used to be put out on the window shelf.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
I just phoned Llandudno Swimming Centre to establish whether or not the gym has reopened.

Unfortunately, the AC has not yet been repaired and Tuesday is when the gym is expected to reopen.

They appear to have abandoned their long-standing practice of opening the windows and turn of the 2 x AC units to save electricity.

If it was still too warm then several portable fans used to be put out on the window shelf.

I've been there several times with the windows open and no AC. What are the staff doing whilst the gym is closed? Having a holiday?  8)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2014, 12:57:39 pm »
It is just one long holiday working in the leisure department!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:03 pm »
I have just phoned and established the new part for the AC has not yet arrived so the gym will not be opening tomorrow, as posted by me last Friday morning.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 04:09:46 pm »
I have just phoned and established the new part for the AC has not yet arrived so the gym will not be opening tomorrow, as posted by me last Friday morning.

L0L

Unbelievable!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2014, 05:27:48 pm »
It must be some s****e company that CCBC have employed to supply maintenance to such an important building!

Someone needs firing for incompetance in negotiating the contract.     WWW WWW WWW
Cicero

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »
So this wonderfull swimming pool /gym us taxpayers helped to build has never been open to the public properly , always something wrong ,and I bet nobody will get a discount next tear on the membership    _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »
A good point Norm, Yorkie, and thanks for the update Bri.   It really is shoddy and unacceptable.

I have been banging on about this for a couple of years now, but the place has became a laughing stock.
I asked the duty manager 2 things.

1.  Was she not embarrassed or ashamed to be associated with it?

2,  Did they not negotiate some kind of penalty clause with the A/C company?  Just in case CCBC had to reimburse some members?   Of course the answer was NO,  as I suppose this would have required some degree of common sense management.

&shake& &shake& &shake& &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -