Author Topic: David. Roberts Tye Gwn Road Landudno  (Read 13370 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: David. Roberts Tye Gwn Road Landudno
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:48 pm »
Don't be silly Cbrian, anything said on here is mainly tongue in cheek.   You're not upsetting anyone and nobody can take offence from anything you've said so keep posting and looking through the forum there's lots to see on it. 
I'm Welsh and often spell things incorrectly in Welsh and English but if people understand me then that's all that matters. 
In the old days people used to spell thing differently and to add confusion to it, Welsh has a different alphabet to the English which doesn't help when you are looking for things.
My own Christian name was spelt incorrectly by the Registrar and my Dad didn't correct him but that doesn't matter anymore as I've been called a lot worse in my time.     ???

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:15:40 pm »
Hi Kathy, Please don't leave the forum, it's just banter between members about another topic on another thread and not  aimed at you at all.

( I've put up with it for years! ) D)

Sue

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
I was able to go to the Conwy Archives and the Library today so I had a quick look at a few things but haven't found a lot.   You are probably aware of all the info on the Census anyway but I'll just repeat it in case you are not.
In the 1891 Census David Roberts lived at 1 Ty'n Ffynnon in Tydweliog with his wife Ann and their children Jane H, Annie, Evan, Willie H, David and Hughie J.    The Census showed that they all could only speak Welsh!
In the 1901 Census they had moved to Llandudno and lived at Ingestre Cottage, Ty Gwyn Road, Llandudno and they were all there apart from Ann who must have died in the meantime.
In the 1911 Census they were living at Ty Fry (  House aloft) in Old Road Llandudno

I took a photo of Ty Fry today and it's the yellowish property on the right in the photo

Was your Grandfather still living in Llandudno in 1922 because there was an Evan Roberts living at 5 Prospect Terrace off Ty Gwyn Road and he was a shoemaker by trade?
I couldn't find details of any burials for the family at St Tudno's or Llanrhos but there are ways of tracing those on line. Unfortunately I am pretty useless on the computer but there are others here such as Suepp and Dwsi who are experts if you need help.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
Hi Kathy M...  Don't leave the Forum!

I apologise unreservedly if you took my comment personally, it certainly was not meant as such.

I had just been criticised on another topic for 'word correctness' .. and put that comment on here in a 'tongue in cheek' way.

I didn't realise it would cause offence.... and Suepp has rightly told me off about it.  $smack$

Now.... lets get on with answering your question, you will find lots of experts on here only too willing to help.

An apologetic Fester. 

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 11:36:01 pm »
Now that Fester has had a smacked bot from Suepp you can start posting again and we'll see what we can do to help.      $good$

One thing I didn't check at the Conwy Archives was the Burial Records for the soldiers from WW I ,   that info is at the back of the Llanrhos book (St Hilary's Church )  but they are not listed alphabetically there.   The grave numbers are listed so you have to check each individual grave to find the person you are looking for.

Good luck with your search

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:50 am »
Sorry but I forgot to mention that D. Roberts was still living at Ty Fry Old Road  LLandudno according to the 1922 Street Index but wasn't there in 1939.
The Conwy Archives have street indexes for 1926 and 1929 but I didn't look at those and as I'm not going to the Archives for a while  perhaps Suepp, if she reads this may have a look at her personal 1929 Street Index and see if D. Roberts was still living at Ty Fry  Old Road.
That address was listed as apartments so D Roberts must have been renting out rooms there.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
Hi Hugo, D.Roberts was not living at Ty Fry in 1929,  and I haven't had much luck with burials. the Welsh BMD is quite poor in that respect, I'm not sure all areas are fully transcribed post 1900.
As you can imagine there are a lot of D.Roberts in the alphabetical index and it would be difficult to get the right person. There are 3 Evan Roberts, 2 in Kings road and 1 in Somerset street, also a number of E. Roberts which doesn't make it any easier. Kathy said her grandfather had left Llandudno and returned for wedding of his sister.
I hope Kathy is still reading the forum  :-*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:52 pm »
Thanks very much for posting the info regarding the 1929 Street Index Suepp,      $thanx$
 I can have a look at the 1926 Street Index when I'm in the Archives next and see if David Roberts was on it then.
It could be that he was buried with his wife Ann and that may be in Tydweliog or that area of the Llyn and that may explain why I can't find him in the Llandudno Burial Lists.
Did Kathy say when Evan left Llandudno?

Offline emma p

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 06:09:19 pm »
I hope Kathy is still reading this thread too......we have been sending PM's just in case we have a connection and im looking forward to some answers from you all. Unfortunately, i dont think there is a connection, but you never know.
Suepp mentioned 2 Evan Roberts living in Kings Roads.....one of them was one of mine i think.

Coincedently, Ty Fry is/was a holiday let and we stayed there a couple years ago ! It is the most beautiful old house that just keeps going up and up.....i remember trying to get our suitcases up to the very top of the house, up the extremely steep and narrow staircases !!!
 :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
Hmmm, Kathy hasn't checked into the Forum since 4.18pm on Wednesday.

I too sent her a PM to reinforce my apology, but she won't have seen it I fear.

Not much more I can do I'm afraid.  I blame Dave R.
Fester...

Offline Cbrian51

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »
Hi Everybody,
I'm sorry if I took offence too quickly ! All apologies accepted http://. My fault bad day at work !

I have been looking at all your replies,thank you all very ,very much for your hard work.

I have learnt a lot and thank you the photograph .

i'm not sure if I have sent this reply to the correct person but I hope that you all get to see this .

I will take my time and have a really good look at the info.

Thanks again
Kathy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 04:46:16 pm »
Good to see you back on line Kathy and I hope the weather is better for you when you come to Llandudno for a visit.   The Conwy Archives is in Lloyd Street Llandudno next to the Lifeboat Station and you'll find the staff there very helpful indeed.
If you do find any info about the deaths of your relatives don't forget to look at the Llandudno Advertiser as details of the burials may have been published in there.
Good luck with everything.   $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
Nice one Kathy..... and thanks or the message you sent me.
Fester...

Offline ed jones

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
My mate Peter MILLICAN used to live at Ty Fry in the early 60's. I was waiting outside for him one fine summers evening and was approached by two holiday makers asking what time the chippy opened. I pointed them in the direction of GARDNERS near the tram station, amazed they were knowing that Ty Fry meant narrow house and not something to do with frying chips!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »
I was in Lloyd Street with Peter and he told me a similar story only this time someone knocked on his door and asked if they were frying tonight as that's what they thought Ty Fry meant.
I think that Fry actually means aloft rather than narrow (  Cul being narrow as in Lonydd cul on the A55)