Author Topic: St Georges Anglican Church Llandudno  (Read 8720 times)

Offline AliceLlandudno

St Georges Anglican Church Llandudno
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
ello

I was wondering if anyone could help?
Im currently doing some research and have been told that Dean Liddell may have preached at St Georges Anglican church in Llandudno as he was there regularly during his stays.
Does anyone have any idea how I could confirm this information? - Would the church keep records?

Thanks in advance

Nicki

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: St Georges Anglican Church Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
Try contacting Rev. Nice, Vicar of Holy Trinity. Bellringer will help with details I am sure.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »
St George's Church was built in 1840 and closed in the 1990s when the Anglican 'Parish Church' status was transferred to Holy Trinity Church in Trinity Square.

Alice, your enquiry might be better directed to the Rector as Nemesis suggests.

Contact details: www.llandudno-parish.org.uk/contacts.html

By the way Alice, am I seeing double? When you open a thread you seem to be duplicating it!

Offline Chris H

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »
I was saddened to hear that St George's is no longer used as a church, let alone the parish church.  My Dad was a Lay Reader in Llandudno in the 1960's, composing his sermons (English and Welsh) whilst on the beat (he was a PC on the town...). 
I remember Canon Daniels, the Rector, who lived in the Rectory next door to the church.  Miss Joyce was the organist and Mr Bragg the verger. 
There was a husband and wife who sang in the choir who ran a pet shop in the indoor market, next to Ball & Boyd's.  They kept a mynah bird in the shop, not for sale, but as a pet.
As a nipper, I used to walk to St George's with Dad from Trinity Avenue and back again when he preached there.  The church always seemed to smell of Rentokil!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:42:03 pm »
Always sad to see a church close Chris H but it was the usual problem, small number of people regularly attending and the cost to maintain the structure.
It was decided to centralise everything at Holy Trinity because the facilities (and parking) were better.

BTW I see Miss Joyce from time to time. Not sure who the couple who had the pet shop in the indoor market were but I 'know a man who will'.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:54 am »
I am another sad to see the demise of St George's Church. My parents married there, other family members too. My mother said she didn't want to marry in Holy Trinity, it was too big and grand. St George's was more intimate and had a cosier feel to it.

Helig.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:36 pm »
Helig, I agree St George's was 'more intimate' but the main purpose behind Holy Trinity being built in the early 1870s was that there was a requirement for a larger church building. The town was developing away from the lower slopes of the Great Orme and fast becoming a Victorian holiday resort. I believe it was to accommodate up to 1,200. I have often thought that even standing, I doubt whether that number could be squeezed in! Comfortably these days about 500 max.