Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 226016 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #495 on: September 27, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
Wow ormegolf  how do you know it wasn't, a young lad/girl from st David's college out for an early morning jog .

Offline Dave

« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »
Wow ormegolf  how do you know it wasn't, a young lad/girl from st David's college out for an early morning jog .

Wrong side of town for starters.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #497 on: September 27, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »
 Hello Norman08. I dont recall suggesting that I didn't know it was someone from St.Davids College. Like I didn't suggest I knew it wasn't an OAP from Deganwy who hobbled up the hill.
  I wasn't there, so I could never suggest that I KNEW any group who DIDNT do it.
   But I sure as hell can suggest a group that were likely to do it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme /fire Heulfre Gardens
« Reply #498 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
Ref.Daily Post  Sunday  10.10AM
BLAZE: Fire fighters from Llandudno are at Heulfre Gardens where an area of gorse and peat are on fire. A north Wales Fire Service spokeswoman said the blaze is deepseated and in a remote location and fire fighters are having to dig the peat out with spades and then beating out the fire.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: September 28, 2014, 11:18:28 am »
Interesting.  Might be a deep seated fire.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #500 on: September 28, 2014, 11:33:42 am »
Interesting.  Might be a deep seated fire.
I had an incident in the 80's,very small garden fire, I cleared up afterwards, but about a week later, we returned from shopping, to find 100 yards of adjoining roadside verge destroyed, and a very PO fire officer, who warned of the dangers, of fire going "down".
Is this connected to yesterdays grass fire?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: September 28, 2014, 11:40:05 am »
I was wondering that. Deep seated fires can burn, unseen, for weeks, and occasionally emerge. They need only two things: oxygen and fuel.  I didn't know there was a lot of peat on the Orme, but there are lots of clear spaces in the limestone cavities. The lack of rain is worrying, though.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #502 on: September 28, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »
"The lack of rain is worrying, though." .....not worrying me... :D
I am waiting to hear what Mike has to say..

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #503 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:32 pm »
But ormegolf you jumped in and stated  you bet it would have been one of the hooligans from up there, near your 1st tee was the golf shed about 40odd years ago it was bent down   Not by kids off the Orme but it was found to be darlings from well to do families , my way is one should never accuse unless very sure .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #504 on: September 28, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »
Fire officers are asking you to be on the lookout for suspect in Orme blaze incident ....

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #505 on: September 28, 2014, 08:51:12 pm »
   I think this discussion has got a bit out of hand, so I'm posting this and then, as far as I'm concerned, that is it. There will be no more from me on this subject.
 Steve H posted "Down to a discarded ciggy end?"  Please note the question mark.
  I replied "as likely someone, probably young, on a walk" etc etc.

That is not accusing anyone or any group. I am not "very sure".

But I stick by what I said. Just as likely as a ciggy at 9 o'clock in the morning.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
   I think this discussion has got a bit out of hand, so I'm posting this and then, as far as I'm concerned, that is it. There will be no more from me on this subject.
 Steve H posted "Down to a discarded ciggy end?"  Please note the question mark.
  I replied "as likely someone, probably young, on a walk" etc etc.

That is not accusing anyone or any group. I am not "very sure".

But I stick by what I said. Just as likely as a ciggy at 9 o'clock in the morning.

Not unless you said it in bold type!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:04 pm »
After devouring our breakfast at the Inglenook Cafe, we decided to go for a walk around the Great Orme to work it off. As we walked around Marine Drive, we were struck by how the peace and tranquility was only being broken by the occasional car, which you could hear coming half a mile before it passed you. I mused to myself about the possibility of closing the Marine Drive to car traffic on certain out of season days, leaving the whole road free for walkers and cyclists to enjoy. Any thoughts on this idea?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
My wife and i had the privilige of having the whole thing to ourselves this year,we decided to take a walk from the West Shore end and passed a landslip,unknown to us behind us CCBC came along and closed the Drive to everything,so we walked around on a beautiful day all alone,very weird experience,but good idea,maybe just the odd landtrain for those who might miss out.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2014, 06:52:24 pm »
I think it should be closed to pedestrians, and allow me to drive around it for free, as much as I like, without having to avoid those pesky walkers.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -