Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 224990 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #435 on: March 27, 2013, 01:23:19 pm »
Thanks for the info Ian-- did find some pics on Llandudno Daily pics.
http://llandudnopictures.wordpress.com/
Monday's pic appears to show the road after the cafe.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #436 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »
i drove around this afternoon,no signs from the church saying the road was blocked,it was a give away meeting cars coming the wrong way,but sure enough you get to that corner after the rest and be thankful and there is noway your getting past,funny there are no signs at the bottom of the zig zag saying the road is blocked(or closed),i never thought i would ever come around the orme the wrong way.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #437 on: March 28, 2013, 10:17:42 pm »
A couple of shots of the blockage. The journey on 25/03/13 was done up the tram tracks then down the zig zags and up to the cafe which is open from 10.00am every day apart from that day!

No signs apart from cars coming back to the zig zag road.........the drift was about 15 inches deep in the road.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: March 29, 2013, 08:04:05 am »
It was cleared using shovels by the Cafe owners on Wednesday night.  Conwy had stated that the snow plough couldn't clear it as it was a massive block of ice.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #439 on: March 29, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »
This is the Marine Drive back in 1979, taken just a bit further round than the above pic - I was clerk-of-the-course on the Cambrian Rally and had to cancel the event on the Saturday morning as the Orme was blocked, and routes through the forests were impassable.  This was taken later that morning.

Date of the event ... 17th March, so almost the same week as things are happening now.  I don't remember it ever being closed since for snow, until now.

It snowed for the 1980 Cambrian Rally as well, but only in the forests, and that was on 15th March!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2013, 07:56:16 pm »
Dec 1978 and Jan/Feb 1979 was a bad period for snow. I was stuck time and time again

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:21 am »
At about the centre of a triangle drawn between the Half-way tram station, the Mine entrances and the upper-tram crossing section there are three wooden structures, recently created, that appear to be made to support something heavy. Anyone know anything about them?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #442 on: June 16, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
Bringing cables ashore from the wind ranch, maybe.  There are a few yellow marking around also, that seem to head offshore.  Just my guess!   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jazz

Campers on the Orme
« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2013, 02:27:38 pm »
Who do I contact about campers on the Orme. The pictures show some of the debris they left on Maes y Facrell/Penn y Gogarth.
They camped in view of the half way station. I asked them take there rubbish with them without much luck.

Offline Nemesis

Re: Campers on the Orme
« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2013, 02:39:49 pm »
cg.cs@conwy.gov.uk
01492 874151
Sally Pidcock is the Country Park Warden.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:21 pm »
At about the centre of a triangle drawn between the Half-way tram station, the Mine entrances and the upper-tram crossing section there are three wooden structures, recently created, that appear to be made to support something heavy. Anyone know anything about them?
           I was walking on the Orme yesterday and came across the wooden A-Frame structures Ian that has mentioned (see attached photos), and as I passed the Half-way Station I dropped in and asked one of the tram-drivers if he knew what they were. He said he had no idea and hadn't noticed them. Fortunately on the way down I was passing the cromlech and I bumped into Tom Parry, who is the person to ask about regarding anything on (or off!) the Orme and he told me that they are replicas of the "Brammock Rod System" which was used in conjunction with a "Tom and Jerry" engine to drain the copper mines during the Victorian era, and if I Googled  "Tom and Jerry" (and disregarded the Disney info!) it would tell me all I wanted to know about them and also a thread from that site onto the G.O.E.S website will describe the workings, which it does very well. He said an Information board is due  be erected there in the near future.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2013, 12:57:41 pm »
You met the right person when you met Tom Parry,  he's the one to ask if you want to know anything about Llandudno.    $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »
Thank you, G.  Much appreciated.

Offline hollins

« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »
Yes, thanks Gwynant for the interesting info. How satisfying to solve the puzzle.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Signs on the Orme.
« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2014, 08:23:33 pm »
  I see there is a new sign on the road down from the halfway station of the Orme Railway that joins onto the Marine Drive. A good proper sign which has cost a good lot of money to erect..
   It says "Toll road ahead." Then shows the charges. Then "No turning back after this point."
   Seeing as this road has been free for the last two or three years because there has never been anyone manning the pay booth, does this mean that the Council now intend to put someone there to collect the cash?