Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218319 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2011, 11:56:50 am »
Here are some views from the Great Orme yesterday evening.  Aren't we lucky to have so much variety in such a small area?  As Nemesis says, it's nice to see the visitors enjoying it too but there are still plenty of quiet areas even when it's so busy. 

Offline Trojan

« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2011, 12:23:36 pm »
Rest and Be Thankful looked packed

:o

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »
Lovely views Blodyn, I often walk the path with the kissing gate when it is really warm, as at least there is some shade.
I like the cliffs photo-- my first thought was that you must have been standing very near the edge, but obviously you have a good lens.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2011, 03:25:03 pm »
I like the cliffs photo-- my first thought was that you must have been standing very near the edge, but obviously you have a good lens.

Trojan made a similar comment about a photo I posted on the previous page of this thread.  The two photos are taken from a similar place, where it's easy to stand in safety but make it look quite exciting!

I'm glad you like the photos, anyway. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2011, 09:08:15 am »
The Sea Wall just below Happy Valley is in danger of collapse and will require significant repair work, costing up to £750,000. Additionally, if a decision is taken to build a new sea wall (similar to the large concrete section below the car park) the work will mean that the Happy Valley Road (and Marine Drive) will be closed to traffic for some time.

http://bit.ly/mW8bqW

Interestingly, CCBC claims not to know who the owner of the land is:

"The sea wall at this location is designated as a private frontage. The
Council would normally serve notice on an owner to repair its structure
however, it has not been possible to establish ownership at this location."

Surely its Mostyn Estates? How could it not be, being as they own the rest of the Great Orme?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:57 am »
Looks like no one wants to claim ownership if there's a bill of £750,000 to pay!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:40 am »
Yes-- I had just read that--amazing how no-one knows these things !! :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
I bet if it was a piece of land that was suitable for housing development, then Mostyn Estates would have immediately claimed ownership...  :roll:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43:04 am »
Too true !

Offline dwsi

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2011, 09:06:43 pm »
Great Orme sea wall repairs could cost Conwy Council £750k - North Wales News - News - Daily Post North Wales http://bit.ly/pXE2CD

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:27 am »
The Sea Wall just below Happy Valley is in danger of collapse and will require significant repair work, costing up to £750,000. Additionally, if a decision is taken to build a new sea wall (similar to the large concrete section below the car park) the work will mean that the Happy Valley Road (and Marine Drive) will be closed to traffic for some time.

http://bit.ly/mW8bqW

Interestingly, CCBC claims not to know who the owner of the land is:

"The sea wall at this location is designated as a private frontage. The
Council would normally serve notice on an owner to repair its structure
however, it has not been possible to establish ownership at this location."

Surely its Mostyn Estates? How could it not be, being as they own the rest of the Great Orme?

CCBC have decided to take the lesser option of spending £350,000 to repair the sea wall, rather than replace it. Work will take approximately 10 weeks.

I found one of Cllr Ronnie Hughes' comments a bit bizarre:

Cllr Ronnie Hughes, of Llandudno, said the work would affect residents and businesses on the Great Orme and that they should be kept fully informed.

He said: “It (the project) has implications for the lighthouse, cemetery visitors, tourism, residents and the café. And if the sea wall does go completely, it could take the colonnades out in Happy Valley.”

Did he even bother to look at the map and see that it is the section of wall below the LLANDUDNO flower bed, nowhere near the Colonnade?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:53 pm »
CCBC staff are looking into the problem (literally):

Offline Trojan

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:05 am »
Did he even bother to look at the map and see that it is the section of wall below the LLANDUDNO flower bed, nowhere near the Colonnade?

Flower bed Dave? I have not seen flowers there for some time now.  8)

If CCBC claim to not know who is responsible for repairs, who built the area of sea wall at that location originally?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
I bet if it was a piece of land that was suitable for housing development, then Mostyn Estates would have immediately claimed ownership...  :roll:

The Great Orme is managed as a Country Park and Local Nature Reserve by Conwy Countryside Service, therefore.....I would have thought it would be CCBC who are required to carry out the repairs.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=1915&doc=1679

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?cat=1495&Language=1

Looks like it isn't the Crown Estates: http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/the_crown_estate_in_wales-2.pdf

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »
As was pointed out in the Weekly News, the ownership trail goes cold in 1925 - the same year that Mostyn Estates was formed.  8)