Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218157 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »
This closure of Marine Drive is for the opening stage of the 2011 Wales Rally GB, the final round of the World Rally and is being hosted by Llandudno.  This is a prestigious event and the entourage with each competitor will give a boost to the hotels and businesses during a normally quiet time.  They will all have to stay somewhere, eat somewhere, and buy supplies of fuel.  A welcome incursion and not to be sniffed at despite a little inconvenience to dog walkers who have no need to use Marine Drive.  There are plenty of other roads and paths that are probably more suited to doggie activities!    L0L

There are also plenty of car enthusiasts who will flood the town apart from those of us who live here and do like to have our interests represented occasionally.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:20 pm »
Frustrating that the Orme will be closed again.. . always disappointing for us dog walkers.
Good to have plenty of notice but it seems that when the Orme is closed it is sometimes for an event which brings people into the town for a few hours who then leave without spending any money.
It is good to see visitors enjoying the area but it would be nice of there were a few financial benefits.

On a different tack but still about the Orme why are there not litter bins and dog bins by the car parking area above the church/cemetery?
You have to watch where you are walking because of the mess left by some dog owners not cleaning up and this weekend the whole area was strewn with litter - empty bottles, paper plates and other rubbish - left by people who come and enjoy the view and a meal.
It is obvious that many of them put their litter in plastic sacks and, before the sacks can be collected, they are pecked to bits by gulls.
Although much of it has been tidied up there are plastic bags and empty cans left in the ferns.
Why don't people take the bags away with them?

I appreciate it must be annoying to those that live and work on the Orme etc but the rally could be really good for the town.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/04/14/world-championshp-rally-to-give-llandudno-and-conwy-huge-boost-55243-28515690/

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
On a different tack but still about the Orme why are there not litter bins and dog bins by the car parking area above the church/cemetery?

Welcome to the Forum, Outlawowl. 

It's a good question!  One Orme resident whom I know lobbied the council for years to get some bins there.  I can't remember the reasons they gave him for not doing so, only that they didn't make much sense.  The council workers pass that area every time they go to empty the bins by St. Tudno's and the cemetery, so I can see no reason for having no bins by the parking area.  You're right, it can be a dreadful mess.  I also get cross with people burning the grass with disposable barbeques. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2011, 08:55:40 am »
why are there not litter bins and dog bins by the car parking area above the church/cemetery?

The reason they gave was the high winds, which they argued would simply empty the bins all over the place. But this, of course, depends on the design of the bins, and there are some excellent wind-proof designs available.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2011, 12:07:04 am »
The heathland areas of the Great Orme look lovely at the moment, with the combination of heathers and gorse flowering together.  This was the view looking out ouwards Point Lynas this afternoon. 

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »
Same problem with bins in other areas of the Orme, the litter after weekends is dreadful.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »
You're right, Nemesis, and with Saturday's mess waiting to greet Sunday's visitors it hardly enhances the beauty, does it?

The heathland areas of the Great Orme look lovely at the moment, with the combination of heathers and gorse flowering together.  This was the view looking out ouwards Point Lynas this afternoon.

It looks as if I was time travelling - I didn't realise is was so late when I posted the photo, which was taken yesterday afternoon! 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2011, 02:13:42 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:22 am »
There will be another road closure on the Great Orme this Sunday, 14 August. 

Marine Drive will be closed to traffic from 1130 - 1430 for a 15 k charity road race organised / sponsored by the Lions. 

St. Tudno's Road will be open for access only from the Half Way station.  The current sign is misleading, implying that the road will be closed completely but that should be remedied today.  Anyone driving to St. Tudno's Church for the 11.00 am service will be able to return via the road past the Half Way station. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »
Distant views from the Great Orme were very clear yesterday, with the Isle of Man and the Lake District both visible.  The air waves must have been pretty clear too, as I got a text from my mobile phone company saying "Welcome to the Isle of Man"! 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:29 pm »
Just come down from the Orme and I haven't seen it as busy for a very long time-- people everywhere, trams, cable car, people walking and  a huge crowd of Asian people having a lovely time opposite the car park above the graveyard. There were so many that the vehicles were double parked--almost like a carnival ! Rest and Be Thankful looked packed.
Nice to see so many people enjoying what we have to offer.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2011, 04:08:27 pm »
Yes, me and the missus have just returned from walking to the end of the pier and back.

I couldn't believe the Mostyn Broadway Coach Park was empty when we passed around 3pm so I don't know where all the coach drivers have parked their coaches today.

It is such a shame to see the Cafe Cais so quiet after so much financial investment.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »
The coaches park in Builder Street Coach Park as there are too many for Mostyn Broadway Park.  They return for their day-trip passengers from about 4.00 p.m. onwards then it is chaos!   8)

The cafe does good business then!     ;)
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »
I thought the Builder Street Coach Park was specifically for overnight parking for coaches.

I often see more than a dozen coaches parked up in the Mostyn Broadway Coach Park on day trips.

Maybe my timing is wrong.

BTW, there was only one coach parked today in the cul-de-sac by Queen Elizabeth Court.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »
Mostyn Broadway is Drop down and Pick up only except for some special coaches converted for disabled people that are allowed to stay there.  Drop and Pick up can of course be any time of day.  The Coach Park Attendant is not there every day or all the time and some overstaying (or abuse of the system) occasionally takes place.  All details in CCBC'c parking regs.     ZXZ
Cicero