Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218078 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 12:48:50 pm »
Really great idea, Blodyn.  $good$ I've still had no reply to my email to the organiser of the Happy Valley group but I can PM you the address if you'd like to email him yourself?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  Yes, please would you send me the address.  It would be nice to see some improvements in Happy Valley. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  Yes, please would you send me the address.  It would be nice to see some improvements in Happy Valley. 
PM Sent  :)

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:22 am »
Many thanks for the email address, Dave.  I've written to the organiser of the Friends of Happy Valley and I'll let you know what happens. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »
The view from Haulfre Gardens this evening. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:44 am »
The great man himself, Lloyd George, opens Haulfre Gardens in 1929:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//BHC_RTV/1929/01/01/BGT407140698/?s=llandudno&st=0&pn=4

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »
I noticed some work was being carried out (maybe on the cliff face) on the first big bend of the Marine Drive on the North Shore side.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »
It's been going on for a couple of weeks.  I think some visitors are finding the scaffolding a challenge...  :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:07 am »
I noticed some work was being carried out (maybe on the cliff face) on the first big bend of the Marine Drive on the North Shore side.

Is this where Clwyd Archaeological have found evidence of Bronze Age smelting of copper?  It was always presumed that the mined copper ore was shipped away from the Orme and smelted elsewhere but now there is evidence of smelting and kilns etc.  They had to get scaffolding put up to get to where they needed to work.  They only had funding for three weeks work and is now finished.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:56 am »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2011, 10:08:13 am »
Although I'm pretty sure you all know the Orme well enough, just a reminder that - with the increasing number of visitors who find it very difficult to cope with the one way system on the Marine Drive - you should expect to meet cars coming down to the North Shore from the Lighthouse fairly regularly.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »
In what way do they find it difficult to cope with the oneway system? It appears to me to be the same as any other oneway system anywhere else.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »
I don't think the signage is too great, especially when leaving the cafe that is halfway round.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:41 am »
I don't think the signage is too great,

They often miss the eight foot long lettering on the road, both at the Lys Helig junction, the R & BT carpark exit and the country park car parks a little further on.  The latter two could easily be resolved by the installation of a couple of mandatory turn right or left signs (white arrow on blue background).

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:46 am »
There is another problem with that suggestion.  The signs round Marine Drive regularly get stolen for their scrap value and it would be a case of continuous replacement.

The actual number of cars one finds travelling the wrong way is quite small and is generally the ones who miss the no entry signs at the West Shore end.   I am excluding those delivery vans and yobs who deliberately choose to travel the wrong way.  The worst offenders are cyclists who seem to thing that he no entry sign does not refer to them.

I cannot recall any accidents due to these situations, but then someone may be able to tell me otherwise.  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero