Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218107 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
The Great Orme
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »
I was considering going for a walk on the Orme today but took the soft option and drove up to Tyn Y Coed Road to drop something off for a friend.  On the way up I stopped at Mike's golf Course and had a chat with Mike on his lovely but rather windswept course.  It must have the best views of any golf course in Wales from its spectacular location.   :)
Carrying on down the zig zags past the Church I noticed that the toll booth was closed ;) so I had a change of plan and drove around the Marine Drive for free. ;D  There were plenty of walkers going around it including a blind man who was walking alone and whom I have seen before doing the same thing.
A quick photo of the lighthouse and then a coffee and Cherry Bakewell in the Rest and Be Thankful before driving on.
Stopped at the West Shore to admire the Windsurfers but noticed that nothing has been done about the White Rabbit pool and the sand is rapidly piling up everywhere!   :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:49:03 pm »
I'm sure Mike will have been thrilled to see you, now that things have started to get a little quieter up there.  :)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:58:33 pm »
Yes, I was.I was wandering around the greens with a bottle of strong weedkiller----not the best thing to do on a windy day

Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:13:51 pm »
Hugo said:  "Carrying on down the zig zags past the Church I noticed that the toll booth was closed  so I had a change of plan and drove around the Marine Drive for free. "

If you have a relative buried in the Great Orme Cemetery you can obtain a Free Pass to save having to pay the Toll. *&(

Application forms available from the Parking Department, CCBC.  You will have to know the name, relationship, date of internment etc.   Some help with information is available from the Cemetery's Department of CCBC. ££$

Whilst the primary use of the Pass is to visit the Cemetery it is used by many just to drive round the Orme! _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:14 pm »
I'm not sure what time the Toll Booth closes, but I was able to have a ''free'' drive round the Orme myself today.

Always worth giving it a whirl on a Sunday evening methinks ...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:06:09 am »
The toll booth at the bottom of the zig-zag hasn't been operational at all this season.
Fester--- the only thing to watch for on your 'free trips' are folk coming round the wrong way! A friend of mine had a very near miss with some loony coming the other way.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:15:53 am »
I heard that some of these so called boy racers, have been driving round the Orme at night THE WRONG WAY, what do these Morons have in their head for brains. Hopefully the latest tragedy on Conwy Rd. might temper their actions, but somehow I doubt it.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:52:58 pm »
The toll booth at the bottom of the zig-zag hasn't been operational at all this season.
Fester--- the only thing to watch for on your 'free trips' are folk coming round the wrong way! A friend of mine had a very near miss with some loony coming the other way.

Thats funny...because I drove down the zig zag on 2 occasions earlier this season....and I came accross the menacing toll booth man both times,  so I did an awkward 83 point turn and went home embarrassed.   So embarrassed was I that I never tried again ... :-[ :-[
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:34 am »
During the main season - Mid-July to end of August - the zig-zag is usually manned, but if one of the staff has to take a day off, they'll always try to ensure the main gate is manned, so you can be lucky.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:07:25 am »
The Zig-zag Toll is NOT being manned this year.

Apparently it was felt that the revenue did not justify cost of manning.

They are wrong of course!  To beat the toll just drive up the tram track, past the cemetery and you get a free run!!  Lots of people now do this instead of using the main toll gate.   _))*

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:08:33 am »
A promising start to the day.

Yorkie

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:21 am »
Fester said:

"Thats funny...because I drove down the zig zag on 2 occasions earlier this season....and I came accross the menacing toll booth man both times,  so I did an awkward 83 point turn and went home embarrassed.   So embarrassed was I that I never tried again ... :-[ :-[ "

The Zig-zag Toll has not been manned all season so anyone who was there must have been an imposter or your underlying guilt, associated with what you were about to do, produced an illusion of what may befall you on a future occasion. _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:22:57 am »
A promising start to the day.
Yes, a fantastic sunrise this morning, I have a photo to add in later.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:00:07 am »
The Zig-zag Toll is NOT being manned this year.

Apparently it was felt that the revenue did not justify cost of manning.

They are wrong of course!  To beat the toll just drive up the tram track, past the cemetery and you get a free run!!  Lots of people now do this instead of using the main toll gate.   _))*

This is what I was told by the chappie on the main gate.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.