Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 225248 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2020, 11:52:06 am »
I have joined you in this Steve, the mess and smell, let alone damage to walls, plants and garden is getting beyond the joke.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme.....Statutory Nuisances complaint
« Reply #601 on: March 07, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »
I am sending in a nuisance complaint regarding the goats, it is getting worse, they are now sleeping in the local gardens, and are definitely making themselves at home, time to make some noise.

If you are affected please join me in complaining.

Make a Statutory Nuisances complaint   Conwy Council

https://www.conwy.gov.uk/en/Resident/Forms-Regulatory/Form-Statutory-Nuisances-Complaint.aspx

Thanks Nem, the more that join in, the better, I will also be getting in touch with our local Councillors, as you say it has gone to far.

PS forgot to ask how are you doing these days,? hopefully feeling better.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #602 on: March 07, 2020, 12:55:29 pm »
Still not very mobile thanks Steve, but back to doing various things like cooking. Good luck with the local Councillors, hope you can get them to take an interest. !

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #603 on: March 07, 2020, 02:13:49 pm »
Good Luck with your complaint regarding the goats Steve, it is time to move a large section of them on to pastures new & for someone to take care of their welfare. Could I suggest you also lobby Cllr Greg Robbins he is the Cabinet member for Environment & Roads & as we know the goats are affecting both. He is also a member of Friends of Westshore so another reason he may be helpful. Also Cllr Louis Emery as she lives on Marine Drive & is the Chairperson of Friends of Westshore.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Nemesis, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme.....Statutory Nuisances complaint
« Reply #604 on: March 07, 2020, 02:26:32 pm »
Thanks M, I will take your advice.

I have been thinking, if they do relocate part of the heard, they need to make sure it is the ones who come down off the Orme, they have been imprinted, and already treat the town as there territory, which in turn is passed on to their young, and before long, there will be more  here than up the hill..........whats the chance of this being taken into account ? by the powers that be.    :-\

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #605 on: March 07, 2020, 04:15:30 pm »
Thanks Meleri, this is the 9th month that I have been trying to get back on my feet, but I am getting there....very slowly !
 I should also have a go at Harry Saville, he is also a councillor and lives in the area.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #606 on: March 07, 2020, 04:32:14 pm »
There is a very interesting article on the goats & how they came to The Great Orme, it can be found on www.llandudno.com/the.great-orme-kashmiri-goats
It appears Major General Sir Savage Mostyn purchased 2 of The Windsor Herd from Brentwood Essex, they had originated  from Kashmir then France, then on to Essex. They were taken to Gloddaeth Hall but proved unsuitable, so were taken to the Great Orme. In 1993 a large group of the goats gathered at The Old Great Orme Post Office which was very unusual, then on 10th June the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in the area fell on Llandudno resulting in the floods.
In 1990 a culling exercise resulted in the re-location of 26 goats & there was an uproar by locals which shocked the Council.
A student Bryan Pinchen from Marlborough, Wiltshire was brought in to do a study on the goats, but two years later funding was withdrawn.
In August 1996 the newly formed Conwy Borough Council took over the responsibility of the goats from Aberconwy Borough Council. There is also some mention of Mostyn Estates Management in the article.
So there you have it CBC are responsible for the goats, but with all the austerity & cuts they are having to make. I can't see them having the money to spend on the goats welfare.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #607 on: March 07, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »
Thanks again for that M.  this just in from the DP

Should the Great Orme goats be culled, put on the pill or be left alone?
The animals have hit the headlines again after 'vandalising' a Llandudno primary school
A poll in the DP
Culled                6%
Put on pill          21%
Relocated             5%
Left alone           67%                          https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/should-great-orme-goats-culled-17868578

Hopefully the council do not think the same, problem is, those being affected are in a minority.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #608 on: March 07, 2020, 05:04:15 pm »
Perhaps the CCBC  may not have the money to spend on the Goats welfare but would they have the money to spend on any compo if Steve starts putting in the claims      :D

Seriously though, the animals welfare should be paramount and all the Goats up on the Orme originate from those two Goats and if the Foot and mouth disease was to infect just one of the Goats then the whole herd  may have to be put down.
I believe that one of the reasons why the herd was culled or relocated was to preserve the strain of those original Goats

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: March 07, 2020, 05:55:24 pm »
Some tears ago it was split into three herds and divided across the UK for precisely the reason of avoiding Foot and Mouth.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #610 on: March 07, 2020, 07:36:23 pm »
Nemesis people would be better asking Mrs S to get it sorted she would herd the goats back up the orme 😂😂

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #611 on: March 08, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Now there's an idea ! $bounce$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #612 on: March 08, 2020, 12:37:47 pm »
I am bumping this post in the hope of getting more support, and I would point out I would like to see a mix of relocation and birth control, and not culling, although if the over population is not dealt with, other problems will arise, disease etc.

From a US study "The Effects of Animal Overpopulation"  not exactly the same as our problem, but there is a similarity.

"Animal overpopulation occurs when an ecosystem is unable to support the existing wildlife because there are too many of a given species. The environment suffers due to the strain from the natural activities of the overpopulated species. The results can be devastating as animals scrape for food and wander into unnatural habitats in search of something to eat. Disease is also a factor as the ecosystem makes a final attempt to regain a natural balance and order. Overpopulated animal species lead difficult lives with limited resources."     cont https://sciencing.com/effects-animal-overpopulation-8249633.html

I am sending in a nuisance complaint regarding the goats, it is getting worse, they are now sleeping in the local gardens, and are definitely making themselves at home, it is time to consider relocation and birth control, before the problem escalates.

If you are affected please join me and ........     

Make a Statutory Nuisances complaint   Conwy Council

https://www.conwy.gov.uk/en/Resident/Forms-Regulatory/Form-Statutory-Nuisances-Complaint.aspx

Offline Meleri

« Reply #613 on: March 08, 2020, 02:37:27 pm »
Steve, if you have a look on the CCBC website there is a brochure entitled "What your money is spent on each year." This gives you examples of the money spent on various departments based on Band D Council Tax for 2019/20. There is a small picture of what looks like the Orme goats with the Irish Sea in the background & underneath £3.83 for Countryside Management. So it appears all Council Taxpayers are paying a percentage of their Tax towards management of the goats amongst other things, so why aren't they being managed?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2020, 03:11:17 pm »
Steve, if you have a look on the CCBC website there is a brochure entitled "What your money is spent on each year." This gives you examples of the money spent on various departments based on Band D Council Tax for 2019/20. There is a small picture of what looks like the Orme goats with the Irish Sea in the background & underneath £3.83 for Countryside Management. So it appears all Council Taxpayers are paying a percentage of their Tax towards management of the goats amongst other things, so why aren't they being managed?

Have you a link, please, I did try, without luck.