Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 218322 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:25 am »
 ;) Dave i wish you had taken a picture of the water feature to prove to me,i can;t believe CCBC have got it going . :-*

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »
 :Sisyphus: Hits me (seriously) when I realise I will never roam the Orme again. Cue violins  ΒΆΒΆ##

In the remoter regions of the morning listening to the shipping forecast I get stewed up when the announcer says "Great Orme Head" instead of the correct Great Orme's Head (the head belonging to the Great Orme). Can't someone educate these ignorant wellie rousers.
Micox

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
I think you will find that their use is correct.  The Area is St. David's Head to Great Orme Head.
The first place is St David's so the apostophe is used.   Great Orme Head is the second and as Orme is not possessive an apostrophe is not used.

The Head refers to Headland and if the full word is used Great Orme Headland makes sense, Great Orme's Headland does not.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_headland     ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »
The old maps show it as Great Ormes Head (no apostrophe)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »
;) Dave i wish you had taken a picture of the water feature to prove to me,i can;t believe CCBC have got it going . :-*
Hmmm...it's been turned off again. The problem seems to be that its simply running from the (metered!) mains water supply, instead of having the same water recirculating. There also seems to be a leak halfway along its length.

I wonder if there any natural water sources in that area that could be used to supply the water?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »
Hmmm...it's been turned off again. The problem seems to be that its simply running from the (metered!) mains water supply, instead of having the same water recirculating. There also seems to be a leak halfway along its length.

I wonder if there any natural water sources in that area that could be used to supply the water?

There's the old town reservoir in Happy Valley, but that was supplied with water by pumping the water up from a water source in  Water Street off Old Road.

As Dave say's, I don't know why it wasn't designed to have re-circulating water. Rainwater could be collected in a tank etc.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:35 pm »
The rocks at Pen-trwyn looked very mellow in the evening light yesterday - and they probably looked even better today but I wasn't going in that direction.  Anyway here's a picture from yesterday for those who are not able to wander about the Orme. 

Waffagolf

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »
No idea what the year was this was taken (at least 85 years ago). But it's my Grandad & Grandmother, with my Dad in what looks like an old metal pedal car, outside the recently demolished gate house at the top of Llys Helig Drive where they used to live.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »
But it's my Grandad & Grandmother, with my Dad in what looks like an old metal pedal car

"'Ullo John! Gotta New Motor?" (Alexei Sayle, originally released as a single in the UK in 1982)  8)

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
Great photo of the marine drive Blodyn.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »
The rocks at Pen-trwyn looked very mellow in the evening light yesterday - and they probably looked even better today but I wasn't going in that direction.  Anyway here's a picture from yesterday for those who are not able to wander about the Orme. 

I walked round on Friday afternoon and enjoyed every minute of it (including that view) on a day when the temperature must have been in the 70's.

Coming back along the promenade I was surprised not to see one cyclist on the prom.

Mind you, it was so busy around the area of the Cenotaph that any cyclist would have had no choice but to dismount anyway.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
 ;) That would not have stopped Cll Howarth Bri. WWW

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:26 pm »
Then she would have certainly caused somebody an injury.

It was absolutely heaving with visitors for about 100 yards along that area of the promenade on Friday afternoon.

wrex, I believe it was one of my local county councillors who proposed this latest review to CCBC.

Does anybody know if she had a mandate from everyone in our ward to do that because she certainly did not ask me ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:50 pm »
The area from the Lifeboat Slipway to the Pier Entrance is unsuitable for cycling in Summer - far too busy with throngs of people.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 11:54:00 am »
It was also very pleasing to see that quite a bit of planting had been carried out to fill in the large areas of bare earth in the rockeries. What wasn't quite so great was that yet more of the beds that usually contain the summer bedding plants had been planted out with shrubs and perennials - yet more cost cutting.
(I thought I'd been really clever here by quoting only part of the post but I see that I've not got it right.  This was a post by DaveR, #44 on 29 May)

I'd like to suggest another alternative to the usual summer bedding plants.  Many popular bedding plants have little or no value to wildlife, as they either produce little nectar and pollen or what they do produce is so hidden away by double petals that insects such as bees, hoverflies and butterflies can't reach them.  There are a lot of very pretty "cottage garden" plants which would attract bees and butterflies.  Wouldn't it be lovely to see our gardens - both Happy Valley and Haulfre - teeming with bees and butterflies?  I'd be happy to talk to the Friends of Happy Valley on behalf of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and perhaps Butterfly Conservation could provide a speaker, too.